• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Cybersecurity Act of 2009

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
Source

IMO, another power grab.

Jesus...I understand being able to seize computers and data, but shut down private networks and Internet, along with having all security software be government approved before installing? That's too much influence in the way things are run IMO.

Cryox

Bro.
I think the Obama Administration is trying to get too much power. I mean seriously, you don't have to have a little red switch next to you that says "press to shut down everything"

That is a kind of law that would be passed in Nazi Germany (if the country was around in 2009).

-chw42-

Like a Boss
That is a kind of law that would be passed in Nazi Germany (if the country was around in 2009).

OMG, seriously, that right-winged bullshit again about comparing Hitler to Obama? Jesus christ, when will you people stop the hypocrisy?

This act won't affect the lives of the everyday American. As bad as it sounds (and I do not agree with this act as of right now), the government isn't going to come out and get you for downloading some music off the internet. You gotta be doing something really wrong for them to even pay attention to you and use their newly found powers.

The Dems do have advantage in the house and the senate, but I hope that even they have some sense and don't pass this act, just because I have no idea how far they will go with it and what the end result might be. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be monitored for what I do on the net each day...

Cryox

Bro.
I agree you can't really compare the two people. They both were completely different. One killed Jews and gays, and the other wanted Change. So far the Change thing hasn't really done any good. I mean seriously, $800 billion? and we won't see the effects until when?

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
Listen everyone. Hitler is in a league of his own. Nobody is like Hitler, regardless of political party (except the actual modern day nazis).

Cryox

Bro.
Listen everyone. Hitler is in a league of his own. Nobody is like Hitler, regardless of political party (except the actual modern day nazis).

exactly. btw, i saw a nazi while i was helping out at the fairgrounds over where i live. I know cause he had a tattoo.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
This bill can piss off. I hope it dies in congress. The government should not have a say in everything that goes on. That's the people, not the government.

You know, I'm sure they said the same thing about Hitler and someone like Nero. Look what happened? You don't know anything for sure, so stop assuming things like "He is NOT like hitler". I'm not saying he is, but you have no room to say something you know nothing about.

The government should not have this much power. Hypothetically, if they were to ban badmouthing the government(Which they have done in the past, don't say it won't happen) they could search all our computers and arrest us for saying anything bad. I think that's ridiculous.

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
exactly. btw, i saw a nazi while i was helping out at the fairgrounds over where i live. I know cause he had a tattoo.

He might have been Aryan Brotherhood or a Skinhead. Back on topic.

How much power does the government need? They forced the banks to take money, refuse to accept it back, and use the fact that the banks have the money to control what they do. They are trying to control the Detroit Automakers who took the bailout money and they are trying to control the internet. The internet is the one last unrestricted thing on earth, go fuck yourselves congress.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
This bill can piss off. I hope it dies in congress. The government should not have a say in everything that goes on. That's the people, not the government.

You know, I'm sure they said the same thing about Hitler and someone like Nero. Look what happened? You don't know anything for sure, so stop assuming things like "He is NOT like hitler". I'm not saying he is, but you have no room to say something you know nothing about.

The government should not have this much power. Hypothetically, if they were to ban badmouthing the government (Which they have done in the past, don't say it won't happen) they could search all our computers and arrest us for saying anything bad. I think that's ridiculous.

Like Darth Budd said, Hitler is in a league of his own. He wanted world domination and killed whoever he did not like. It's almost impossible for anybody who is the president of the United States to accomplish what Hitler had done. Anybody saying otherwise needs to to check up on what a president CAN do. Unless he replicates himself 200 some times and wins at least half + 1 of the senate and house seat, he cannot do whatever he pleases, especially if it's genocide or starting wars with just about every neighboring country.

They banned speaking out against the government and the war during times of war (WWI and WWII) when the government needs to take control. Totally justified in that way IMO, especially during WWII.

The last part is, um, possible, but at the same time, impossible. Why would the government WANT to check up on your daily cyber lives just for the hell of it? The government cannot crack down on every person who is doing something illegal, as in downloading copyrighted material, they simply don't have the time and manpower. They have better things to do. This was the same stuff said about the Patriot Act. The government isn't there to take your privacy away, it's there to protect the best interest of the entire nation. Would you rather sleep better knowing you had your precious privacy or knowing that you were safe from terrorist attacks? And those who think 9/11 was a conspiracy to give the government more power, GTFO.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Like Darth Budd said, Hitler is in a league of his own. He wanted world domination and killed whoever he did not like. It's almost impossible for anybody who is the president of the United States to accomplish what Hitler had done. Anybody saying otherwise needs to to check up on what a president CAN do. Unless he replicates himself 200 some times and wins at least half + 1 of the senate and house seat, he cannot do whatever he pleases, especially if it's genocide or starting wars with just about every neighboring country.

They banned speaking out against the government and the war during times of war (WWI and WWII) when the government needs to take control. Totally justified in that way IMO, especially during WWII.

The last part is, um, possible, but at the same time, impossible. Why would the government WANT to check up on your daily cyber lives just for the hell of it? The government cannot crack down on every person who is doing something illegal, as in downloading copyrighted material, they simply don't have the time and manpower. They have better things to do. This was the same stuff said about the Patriot Act. The government isn't there to take your privacy away, it's there to protect the best interest of the entire nation. Would you rather sleep better knowing you had your precious privacy or knowing that you were safe from terrorist attacks? And those who think 9/11 was a conspiracy to give the government more power, GTFO.
I didn't say it was going to happen, I'm saying, Hitler was in a similar position. He had a lot of people who liked him, would listen to him, was a good speaker. Naturally this is probably not true, I don't think it is myself, but to say it is 100% impossible is blaspheme. I just think it's too much power. We've been good Bush's entire term(With the exception of the twin towers, which was technically contemplated during Clinton's presidency) and they didn't have to enact anything this extreme.

Yes I know it could benefit, but at the same time, in order for them to actually find any threats(Since there is no way they'd find them randomly) they would have to infringe like hell. Either that or if it was an organization that was threatened to be shut down, they might resort to desperate measures. Or better yet, it could end up like the IRS.

-chw42- said:
OMG, seriously, that right-winged bullshit again about comparing Hitler to Obama?

It was a mistake on my part. I was attempting refer to law itself when correlating to Nazis (their dictatorial powers), not Obama. Obama had very little or nothing to do with my post, because it was the very nature of that law I was thinking about. This law is the kind that is supposed to be passed in totaliltarian goverments (like Nazi Germany), that's why I did a comparision of the law to Nazi Germany.

With acts like the Patriot Act being passed, I saw them as "Nazi" laws and that's why I said this law would be passed in Germany if it was around today.

I had no intentions of offending anyone, I give my humble apoligies.

soha

It was a mistake on my part. I was attempting refer to law itself when correlating to Nazis (their dictatorial powers), not Obama. Obama had very little or nothing to do with my post, because it was the very nature of that law I was thinking about. This law is the kind that is supposed to be passed in totaliltarian goverments (like Nazi Germany), that's why I did a comparision of the law to Nazi Germany.

With acts like the Patriot Act being passed, I saw them as "Nazi" laws and that's why I said this law would be passed in Germany if it was around today.

I had no intentions of offending anyone, I give my humble apoligies.

don't apologize for something you didn't say.

I apologized about my first post in the thread. Not that one that you replied to. :)

Joey

I agree you can't really compare the two people. They both were completely different. One killed Jews and gays, and the other wanted Change. So far the Change thing hasn't really done any good. I mean seriously, $800 billion? and we won't see the effects until when?

He kind of had a big mess to clean up, don'tcha think?

And Chw totally jumped the gun, I had no inclination jx233 was comparing anybody to Hitler. That reaction was completely juvenile, and kind of embarrassing.

Joey said:
And Chw totally jumped the gun, I had no inclination jx233 was comparing anybody to Hitler. That reaction was completely juvenile, and kind of embarrassing.

It's ok, chw is forgiven. He probably misintrepeted my post, but it is over now.

Besides, I never ever mentioned Hitler in my first post in this thread, Why did people think of Hilter when I just mentioned about this being passed in "Nazi Germany" in my first post.

I said its a "Nazi" law becuase "Nazi" is almost synonymous to "totalitarian".

@ Joey, thank you for standing up for me, glad someone understood my post.

soha

I apologized about my first post in the thread. Not that one that you replied to. :)

oh i know you did. in your first post you never said anything about hitler or obama, thats what i meant about not apologizing for something you never said. if chw got butthurt its not your fault, its his for thinking you were talking about obama.

CASHMON3Y

Ahh... Another level for the government powerhouse! If we keep "passing" (If it gets passed) laws like these, soon we might as well just give up our rights.