• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Pirate Bay Trial: Guilty

Vee

I dont understand this. I've been searching it up all day. How on earth were they finally charged? I thought those copyright rules didnt apply in sweden. Also, they're not hosting the files, they're only providing a search engine. Its sorta like p2p software, its not hosting the files, its just connecting you to someone who has them. So no harm done, right?

I think they just wanted to make an example out of these guys. Its mad, how can they get imprisioned for piracy with a sentence you wouldnt even get for stealing.

eldiablov

Contributor
I don't understand how "the site will continue running". Shouldn't the courts have got the site shut down too? :S

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
There will be an immediate appeal. I doubt the duration of this sentence will stand even if the appeal fails.

El Diablo

They were getting charged because they were making it available by hosting the files to connect everyone together and making it easy for people to share pirated things.

I think 900 thousand dollars and a year of jail is really ridiculous though....no way they could pay for that.

january39

eXo Staff
Example time really, with a name like pirate bay though - i mean what did they think would happen?

There are many facet's to this though, for one thing their servers are outside the country hence why it is still running. (maybe not as i type though).

Chathurga

They were getting charged because they were making it available by hosting the files to connect everyone together and making it easy for people to share pirated things.

No. ************ can do this (just like Google can). TPB can also be used for completely legal reasons, there is nothing inherently illegal about the site.
Which is why this sentence is total bullshit.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
No. ************ can do this (just like Google can). TPB can also be used for completely legal reasons, there is nothing inherently illegal about the site.
Which is why this sentence is total bullshit.

what's w/ the asterisks?

Vee

I'm sure the years jail sentence and insane fine are just for the media to gobble up and scare everyone with. Trust me, putting "COMPUTER PIRATES THROWN IN JAIL" on the front of a london paper would dramatically decrease the amount of non-knowledgble people pirating. Its just scare mongering.

Fives

this news just upsets pirates tbh, this isn't going to make anyone who casually pirates things stop and think about what they're doing, and stop. lol

EvilSeph

Administrator
this news just upsets pirates tbh, this isn't going to make anyone who casually pirates things stop and think about what they're doing, and stop. lol

Actually, if the appeal(s) fail...this affects the internet as a whole...and many other things in our lives.

jas0nuk

The site in general was not ordered to be shutdown, because the case was centered around a few files (20 or so) owned by Sony, EMI, and so on. They managed to prove that Pirate Bay ASSISTED in allowing users to infringe copyright through the .torrent upload/download system and the tracker, for these specific files, and the resulting losses were used to calculate the ridiculous fine which they already say they will refuse to pay.

RoBz

sucker
By these guys getting convicted many internet legalities could change completely.
Hopefully the appeal goes well...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
By these guys getting convicted many internet legalities could change completely.
Hopefully the appeal goes well...

No "internet legalities" will change. This is happening in Sweden and not in the US/EU. It won't and shouldn't set precedents for other courts around the world

RoBz

sucker
No "internet legalities" will change. This is happening in Sweden and not in the US/EU. It won't and shouldn't set precedents for other courts around the world
Sweden is in the EU? Not that that matters really, but yeah, just because it didn't happen in the US doesn't really have much relevance as to where this example will be brought up again in the future. As EvilSeph said it's different on subject of the internet, things won't be confined as they usually would be.
ISPs proved illegal, Google proved illegal etc.

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
Sweden is in the EU? Not that that matters really, but yeah, just because it didn't happen in the US doesn't really have much relevance as to where this example will be brought up again in the future. As EvilSeph said it's different on subject of the internet, things won't be confined as they usually would be.
ISPs proved illegal, Google proved illegal etc.

No, because the key differences here are that ISPs and Google aren't explicitly helping pirates, plus they constantly work with copyright holders to remove illegal content from their servers.

TPB knew they were hosting loads of content, and refused to work with copyright holders to remove said content. They are therefore arrested with assisting piracy.

Anyway, they're lucky to get away with just the year (which they'll most likely get out in 6 months with good behaviour).