• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Firefox 3.5 to support IRC through Mibbit

Moose

Meta Moose
Source

This will be useful should you be on a computer that has no IRC software installed. Mibbit is a good service too, I have used it a couple of times in school.

twelve

I'm not dead
Surely firefox has supported IRC for years through Chatzilla?

Edit: Just checked the Link it's more native than downloading an add on. That's pretty cool.

Moose

Meta Moose
Surely firefox has supported IRC for years through Chatzilla?

Edit: Just checked the Link it's more native than downloading an add on. That's pretty cool.

Yeah it's not an add-on which is handy. Good if you use a portable version of Firefox too. :D

twelve

I'm not dead
Ah yeah definitely. Chatzilla is one of the add ons that wont work with a portable version due to memory issues.

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
Is this really necessary? I don't want Firefox to become yet another Opera clone with a crapton of other features I don't really need. I'd much rather use mIRC or XChat.

I really hope this is an optional install.

Hardrive

Contributor
Is this really necessary? I don't want Firefox to become yet another Opera clone with a crapton of other features I don't really need. I'd much rather use mIRC or XChat.

I'd rather use Putty with irssi, but that's just me :)

Cryox

Bro.
Me too.
*high five*

lol, when i read that, i actually imaged two people jumping in the air giving each other a high five

Back on topic, i am fine with using chatzilla, don't understand why having an integrated IRC reader or w/e would be nice...

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
Very handy. Too bad my school updates their programs about once every 3 years. And they are macs too so I can't do portable apps.

If you really want to force an update to Firefox 3.5, write a small paper about the security features Firefox 3.5 brings over Firefox 2 and hand it over to your computer administrators (or 1), focusing on the lack of Google's blacklist security feature (I can't remember the full proper name, a quick google search will give you an idea) in Firefox 2, which is currently available in Firefox 3.5. Also you could probably get away with telling them the netcode has been optimised to put less strain on networks, even if it hasn't been fully documented (or is actually true at all ;)).

Admins love that security and effeciency stuff. It shouldn't really be longer then a page or two.

Cryox

Bro.
lol bandwith exceeded

do you mean this gif?

[qimg]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/TheTjalian/Humour/HighFivemissed.gif[/qimg]

yessss. that is the one. it did that because i just pulled it off some random person's pb account:blush:

Chathurga

You know this will add 0 bulk because mibbit is a web app and all FF has to do is open a URL and post some info?