• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Trade HD DVDs for Blu-rays

Sullivan

red2blu610x67.jpg

Red2Blu - Upgrade Your Warner Bros. HD-DVDs for New Blu-Ray Discs

If you aligned yourself with the red team during the HD DVD vs. Blu-ray format war, we wouldn't blame you if you felt a little turned off to the whole idea of high-def discs. Warner's new Red2Blu program is trying to relieve some of the sting for the losers of the format war, giving owners of Warner HD DVD movies the option to trade in their movies for Blu-ray versions of the same movie. The program isn't free--you send in the cover art from your HD DVDs along with $4.95 per movie, plus a $6.95 shipping and handling fee for your entire order--but it's definitely better than having to shell out another $30 bucks for a new Blu-ray. There are some minor restrictions, such as you can only trade in 25 movies per household and only one copy of an individual title, but the biggest restriction is that the offer is only good for Warner titles.

All the home theater editors at CNET already jettisoned their HD DVD collections on eBay, but we're interested in hearing whether any of the HD DVD faithful plan on using this program. Tell us your thoughts in the comments.

(Sources: Warner Red2Blu via Engadget)

Seth

MD Party Room
What the point? Paying 13 bucks for bluray when you have a good HD dvd player that can play your current HDdvd for free.

eldiablov

Contributor
You see when I saw this I thought it was a good deal. But considering the threads you've made recently I suspect there's some sort of clause somewhere that states you pay $100 for no reason. Or that I will never actually receive the blu ray disc.

Fives

What the point? Paying 13 bucks for bluray when you have a good HD dvd player that can play your current HDdvd for free.

Because blu-ray has better image quality, sound, and they usually pack more cool features onto the disc.

Seth

MD Party Room
Because blu-ray has better image quality, sound, and they usually pack more cool features onto the disc.

Umms no. Also keep in mind BD Live dident come till way latter in bluray life. Also anything you be upgrading from would have the same dam video. I do own a bluray player as well.

Sinfulfate

Not true. Image quality is pretty much the same especially on movies that are on both HD DVD and blu ray. Also most HD DVDs have way better special features than Blu rays but Blu Ray is starting to catch up with Blu Ray Live. HD DVD has always(and still is) the better format, its a shame Blu ray won thanks to the PS3 =/

Fives

Not true. Image quality is pretty much the same especially on movies that are on both HD DVD and blu ray. Also most HD DVDs have way better special features than Blu rays but Blu Ray is starting to catch up with Blu Ray Live. HD DVD has always(and still is) the better format, its a shame Blu ray won thanks to the PS3 =/

Where is this stated as true? I've always known it was the complete opposite with better image capabilities then HD DVD

Vee

There was only one reason why Blu-Ray won the format war. Its better.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.

Yeah, if I recall Blu-Ray was the better format, but HD-DVD was more commonly used, and now since people are realizing Blu-Ray is better, they're switching to it. Could be wrong, though.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
They really missed the boat here. Such a promotion would have been great shortly after the demise of HD-DVD. But by now, most people (at least that I know) have already sold their discs and went Blu-ray.

Sinfulfate

Where is this stated as true? I've always known it was the complete opposite with better image capabilities then HD DVD

I don't know where its stated as true but I own both players and I can easily compare the difference in quality between them. The only difference between the formats is that blu ray can hold 20gbs more space and more space doesn't necessarily mean better quality. And for movies that are on both formats, they are encoded using the same encoding so their going to look the same. Even movies like Batman Begins which came out on Bu ray years after the HD DVD release, Warner Bros used the same encoding for the blu ray release as the HD DVD release.

There was only one reason why Blu-Ray won the format war. Its better.
Some people never change =/ Saying Blu ray won because it is better than HD DVD is like saying the Wii "won" because its better than the PS3/360. There are so many factored as to why Blu ray won over HD DVD just like their are so many reasons as to why the Wii sells way better than the 360/PS3 and none of these reasons have to do with it being better.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I don't know where its stated as true but I own both players and I can easily compare the difference in quality between them. The only difference between the formats is that blu ray can hold 20gbs more space and more space doesn't necessarily mean better quality. And for movies that are on both formats, they are encoded using the same encoding so their going to look the same. Even movies like Batman Begins which came out on Bu ray years after the HD DVD release, Warner Bros used the same encoding for the blu ray release as the HD DVD release.

Technically that does mean better because that means it can use more complex frames, it can allow longer movies, and the like.

Vee

Some people never change =/ Saying Blu ray won because it is better than HD DVD is like saying the Wii "won" because its better than the PS3/360. There are so many factored as to why Blu ray won over HD DVD just like their are so many reasons as to why the Wii sells way better than the 360/PS3 and none of these reasons have to do with it being better.

In my opinion, Wii isnt in the same league as the PS3 and 360. Its like comparing gym equipment to games console sales.

The Wii is aimed at a broader audience, thats why it selling more. HD DVD and Blu Ray are in the exact same market. Clearly something had to be better for Sony and tons of other studios to opt for it.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I own both like Sinful, and agree that HD-DVD was a much better option and looked better. There was never a grain effect on any of the HD-DVD's I own, plus most HD-DVD's had a flip side of the regular DVD on it as well. Two formats on one disc was a big plus.

Slasher

Suck It
In my opinion, Wii isnt in the same league as the PS3 and 360. Its like comparing gym equipment to games console sales.

The Wii is aimed at a broader audience, thats why it selling more. HD DVD and Blu Ray are in the exact same market. Clearly something had to be better for Sony and tons of other studios to opt for it.

You missed his point.

Whether you like it or not, the Wii/PS3/360 are all in the same league. They are all considered current gen. The Wii doesn't sell more because it's better than the other two though, it sells more because of other factors. Much like the Bluray didn't win because it's necessarily better, it won because of other factors. Bluray and HDDVD are more or less the same.

Sinfulfate

I own both like Sinful, and agree that HD-DVD was a much better option and looked better. There was never a grain effect on any of the HD-DVD's I own, plus most HD-DVD's had a flip side of the regular DVD on it as well. Two formats on one disc was a big plus.

Ya that was the thing I loved most about HD DVDs and it looks like the Blu ray+DVD combo packs coming in October are gonna be pretty expensive. Disney wants $40 for its Snow White Blu Ray+DVD Combo pack =/