• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Source: PSP Go! Coming This Fall, Packs Internal Flash, Nixes UMD Drive

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Something to add, I noticed that motion detection wasn't mentioned. Although I have a feeling that those features mentioned previously are solid, I almost wonder if six axis (or some form of motion detection) will be included. This would make it even with the iPhone, and would make it seem even more right since the PS3 includes motion detection.

I expect to see a built-in camera and accelerometer in this new PSP

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
I expect to see a built-in camera and accelerometer in this new PSP

Don't hold your breath, this isn't a brand new PSP, just an upgrade.

I can see a camera possibly making its way in, but it's very unlikely that there will be an accelerometer.

Slasher

Suck It
Accelerometers really aren't a big deal nowadays, some phones have them, even neoflash made an accelerometer psp plugin device that is relatively cheap.

For Sony, it would be very easy to implement one and it wouldn't even be very costly. But I do agree with you that I doubt they'll add it. It's Sony afterall ;)

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
Accelerometers really aren't a big deal nowadays, some phones have them, even neoflash made an accelerometer psp plugin device that is relatively cheap.

For Sony, it would be very easy to implement one and it wouldn't even be very costly. But I do agree with you that I doubt they'll add it. It's Sony afterall ;)

Actually, I wasn't thinking about cost, I was thinking more along the lines of alienation. Like I said, this isn't a new PSP, it's an upgrade. So, it means that if a new game introduced some sort of tilting functionality, the 50+ million PSP owners wouldn't be able to use the tilting function.

Then again, this new PSP is creating a massive divide by nixing the UMD drive anyway, so it looks like all bets are off to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more power under the hood, in a similar fashion to the DS Lite.

Vee

Actually, I wasn't thinking about cost, I was thinking more along the lines of alienation. Like I said, this isn't a new PSP, it's an upgrade. So, it means that if a new game introduced some sort of tilting functionality, the 50+ million PSP owners wouldn't be able to use the tilting function.

Then again, this new PSP is creating a massive divide by nixing the UMD drive anyway, so it looks like all bets are off to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more power under the hood, in a similar fashion to the DS Lite.

According to who?

I'm not doubting you, i just haven't heard that before. I knew they were replacing the UMD drive and moving over to digital format. Doesn't that mean its a new console?

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
According to who?

I'm not doubting you, i just haven't heard that before. I knew they were replacing the UMD drive and moving over to digital format. Doesn't that mean its a new console?

According to a 1UP report, Sony will debut a revised edition of PSP hardware at this year

Adiuvo

That's stretching it to be honest, despite how much it would be nice to see a new PSP.

E3 isn't that far away anyways.

Whisper

Logic :(
You would think Sony would want to get a leg up on nintendo by releasing a new psp. I would be shocked if they did four revisions.

eighty4

PSP - DS-
Orginal consoles, have their own ups and downs.

PSP2000/3000 - DSLite-
Lighter in weight and in screens. Has a few more features but overall, not that many.

New PSP - DSi-
Loses somethings in order to gain more.

Sullivan

Ya, that little device was like 45-65$, only problem was, it never really took off. I know for sure, that only 2 things were made for that. 1 Being loco roco, and the other being a homebrew app. I think there was possibly one more.

dodixd

ummm...
that picture in there ....
If PSP "GO" is gonna look like this,where the buttons L and R will be???im not sure it will be like it is in this picture...and if YES omigosh!!!
You will need longest fingers in the world

-----
sorry for my english

PS3 FANBOY

Sony's #1 fanboy :D
ill have to see what its like when its released.
the 8gb/16gb Internet memory sounds nice.. but im not sure whether il like the sliding screen.

If this has no-umd drive, im pretty sure it will just be a test for the PSP2 whether they should include a umd drive.

I agree :D with the analog stick part... hope its not a "test" becuase then ill have 3 psp's all that do the same thing... then ill have to buy a 5'th portable system >_< (have a ds light i never use too ;)

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM EST ----------

ummm...
that picture in there ....
If PSP "GO" is gonna look like this,where the buttons L and R will be???im not sure it will be like it is in this picture...and if YES omigosh!!!
You will need longest fingers in the world

-----
sorry for my english

L and R will probably go behind the slider screen not on top ;)