• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Universe! and Extraterrestrial Life!

pcstalljr

teen! hide your daughters
OK first lets throw this out there. SPACE.

[FIELDSET="Items To Discuss."]
  • Does space end/how far does it go
  • Does Extraterrestrial Life exist.
  • Other facts/comments welcome.
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Rules"]
  • Do not cut any one down for there ideas.
  • And be respectful. If someone has a comment, Don't be super fast to shoot it down.
  • Over all. be open minded.
[/FIELDSET]

now, 3... 2... 1... Discuss! :)

Slasher

Suck It
I believe in extraterrestrial life. Given the vastness of the entire universe, I find it hard not to believe that other intelligent lifeforms exist besides us. I genuinely believe that we are one of many.

Now extraterrestrial life actually visiting earth on the otherhand... that's more of a debatable/controversial subject. Personally, I do believe that other lifeforms(Aliens if you will) have visited here. If we are able to build advanced technology that can take us to space, then I'm sure other intelligent lifeforms could as well if given similar or favorable circumstances.

I haven't ever seen a UFO with my own two eyes, but I find it hard to believe that every single alleged photo of UFO's out there in existence are all faked. There's gotta be some truth to them that they are indeed unexplained flying objects that travel in unnatural flightpaths, thus implying they are being controlled.

Zx30

Beto
There has got to be something else other than us in this damn space. So much space with so little life don't you agree?

It would be awesome if it was true(and they were friendly). Of course we would be fucked if they were hostile given that they have the ability to travel all the way to our planet.

pcstalljr

well lets say this. lets say that they do exist. whether there friendly or not is unseen so lets look at both there technology alone. i see this being either one of two extremes. its either really good....or really really bad!

say their friendly. there sudo advanced technology would be beyond helpful to us. it could help us advance our space discovery. and possibly even help improve out heath systems.

how ever...if their not...its really really really bad!!! because think about it, if they can travel...that far...wouldnt you think they would have advanced (scary) weapons?!

annnyyyy wayyyy.....:p *points to the readers of this post* it would be nice if we had some more people in here! espesually some people that disagree! because then it would be a discussion.....not a talk :p

pcstalljr

well thats why. i garruntee you, that there are people dumb enough to believe that there are no aliens what so ever. "its just not possable!"....ya ya ya

lol

Andy

Champion of the Sun
well thats why. i garruntee you, that there are people dumb enough to believe that there are no aliens what so ever. "its just not possable!"....ya ya ya

lol

Err, wtf? This goes against everything you said in your first post:

* Do not cut any one down for there ideas.
* And be respectful. If someone has a comment, Don't be super fast to shoot it down.
* Over all. be open minded.

pcstalljr

Err, wtf? This goes against everything you said in your first post:

actually no. i was simply agreeing with the prier post in layman's terms... and to back up what i said.

1. i did not cut down anyone in that post. i was simply stating my mind in layman's terms.

2. i was rather respectful. i admit the "dumb people" comment was not needed. however it was not out of line. i could have gone to extremes and said "dumb a$$es" or "retards". that would have been disrespectful.

3. i am most definitely open minded. i am genuily requesting more people to discuss this. i find this topic extremely interesting.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
actually no. i was simply agreeing with the prier post in layman's terms... and to back up what i said.

1. i did not cut down anyone in that post. i was simply stating my mind in layman's terms.

2. i was rather respectful. i admit the "dumb people" comment was not needed. however it was not out of line. i could have gone to extremes and said "dumb a$$es" or "retards". that would have been disrespectful.

3. i am most definitely open minded. i am genuily requesting more people to discuss this. i find this topic extremely interesting.

Seriously?

1. You cut down people who "believe that there are no aliens what so ever", by calling them dumb.
2. That was not respectful.
3. That was not exactly the type of statement to come from someone who is open minded.

Anyway, I don't want to drag this off-topic anymore. As for my opinion on the matter, I certainly believe that there is extraterrestrial life somewhere out there. The size of the universe is so insane it is hard to comprehend, and the thought that earth has the only living creatures in existence is difficult to believe (for me at least).

Here is a vid about the Hubble Deep Field, it kind of puts things into perspective.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgg2tpUVbXQ[/YT]

pcstalljr

47,000,000,000 light years.
exactly! and it realy puts things into perspective when you think about just the sun. the sun, being 93,000,000 miles away still provides us with light and heat. just think about the light! light travels at 186,282 miles per second! and the sun is 93,000,000 miles away. so thats about 483.1 seconds. or 8 minutes or so. so in more time then it takes to make ramen noodles. the suns light is traveling enough distance to go around the world 3734.7 times! (24,901 miles is the earths circumference). thats insane! and awsome!

PS: i apologize if my prier post offended anyone reading this thread.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I think that with 100 billion billion planets in just the visible universe, to say there isn't even single celled organisms would be foolish. now, complex life on the other hand, like us, might be less likely. i do doubt that we, or any species like us(unless that species was actually peaceful and kind) will survive long enough to figure out interstellar travel(if it is even possible, as you'd have to break light speed to get anywhere in under a millennia)

pcstalljr

it would be awesome to see that. or at least sustaining human life on another planet. that would be awesome.

Zx30

Beto
people who do not believe in life on other planets is seriously completely out of there minds. it goes against all possible logic to not believe in it.

Not to offend anyone but I usually hear that from Christian people. That there can not be life anywhere else because God made us and he is the only God without a doubt. Something like that.
Which I reply...

"Uh..sure..":huh:

pcstalljr

Not to offend anyone but I usually hear that from Christian people. That there can not be life anywhere else because God made us and he is the only God without a doubt. Something like that.
Which I reply...

well that aside. maybe. (note...thats a big maybe haha) there is. i mean if i do the math (witch i will anyway.....*does the math*)

from the video. (just becaue it has a number) the universe is 47,000,000,000 light years WIDE. not area.....wide

and light travels 186,000 miles a second

thats 11,160,000 miles after a minute

thats 669,600,000 miles after an hour

thats 16,070,400,000 miles after one single day....(the number is getting bigger)

thats 586,696,000,000 miles a year....now here comes the big one..

thats 27,568,766,500,000,000,000,000,000 miles wide, to put that into a smaller term. thats like going around the world...4,799,740,119,962,310 times..thats 4 Quadrillion times!

so just wondering. in a universe thats 27,568,766,500,000,000,000,000,000 miles wide. you think that were the only life here? seeing those numbers, doesnt it make you wonder?

Adiuvo

Which I reply...

Even being Christian myself, I laugh at people who say that. Assuming that God believes in something where there is silence is against the Bible for starters.

Anyway, I believe there has to be some form of life besides us. The chances are just too slim for there not to be. Whether we will ever get into contact is very debatable, and at this point, I think that we won't within my lifetime.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
i think that our chances of being contacted(actually contacted, not just receiving a 200'000+ year old message) in a universe that is 27,568,766,500,000,000,000,000,000 miles wide is slim. quark sized needle in a sun sized hay stack.

Cryox

Bro.
Which I reply...

I'm Christian, and I strongly believe that there is other life out there. Just seems not right for there not to be. And most of my Church friends and others believe the same thing.

Zx30

Beto
Well that's good to hear from all the people who responded and said they were Christian. I'm glad you all keep it open for discussion and a possibility. I've just heard alot of people around these parts saying that "it's not possible" or something along the lines of denying it. It just baffles me that they can't even consider it a possibility.:confused: