• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Slimmer PSP To Include More RAM

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
redesignpspmoreram.jpg

When we posted about the announcement of the slimmer PSP yesterday, there was one small detail hidden in the specifications sheet that we missed. This new PSP doesn't just sport a slimmer body, but also: 64MB of RAM compared to the previous model's 32MB.

How will the RAM be used? Sony says it will help to speed up load times of upcoming PSP titles. We're also guessing the internet browser will be retooled to take advantage of this extra memory for dramatically better cache performance.

Added RAM makes PSP games load faster [Joystiq]

seann33uk

i hope they don't forsake the older PSP For this in the future.

no they can't do. if psp1.2 turns out it really isn't hackable and the best of them are working on it for over a year without achievement, i think they'll find sales plummet like a 60ton rock off a cliff, unless they keep psp1.0 out.:smile:

GPUX

what i meant was games. if the developers utilize this extra memory for like better textures, bigger maps and the like then that would leave us original psp users in the dark. or they can simply design the games so that they will run with different settings on the two different psps. (lower on original psp and higher on slim psp)

`Rage`

Some of the New Firmwares will be designed with the PSP Slim's capabilities in mind..

The original PSP should be able to upgrade to the same firmware, but wont be able to access/portray something that was designed for something a little more advanced.

^ Via the HDTV Out.

The original PSP will slowly die out as any other system would, when replaced by a better version.

Especially since the PSP v2 is right around the corner.. Possible in 2 years or so.

Personally.. I've never been more happy with my PSP. Heroes like Dark Alex have set an example of how great the gaming community has become for the PSP, in his and other's efforts. Most of us don't realize what people like Dark Alex had to go through just to bring us more enjoyment through our PSP's. Spending endless lifeless nights coding new firmwares for the average PSP gamer, while he got so little in return for donations and such. Not to mention being harassed by Sony, ect.

I am greatful for what I have now, and Indeed, I am, enormously excited about the upcoming PSP slim, but for now, I just appreciate what others have done to make my PSP better in every aspect. Meanwhile, I can wait.

Soon enough those Three Powerful Words will come again in the PSP Slim. Entertainment Without Boundaries. The Hopes and Dreams of many, will soon come.

Custom Firmwares will not die. Sony cannot stop the Inevitable.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Wonder if emus would run better with more ram. If this becomes hackable I'm definetly getting one when i muster up the money. Just so I don't have to wait and get a version which cant be downgraded or something.

sukhi10

I totally agree with you canadajames with more ram emulators like of n64 might speed up and play like a dream with more ram we can install larger memory themes which is really cool 64mb ram is quite good, but which firmwares will work with this new psp.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
what i meant was games. if the developers utilize this extra memory for like better textures, bigger maps and the like then that would leave us original psp users in the dark. or they can simply design the games so that they will run with different settings on the two different psps. (lower on original psp and higher on slim psp)

this wouldnt really be possible with just double the RAM. a texture that is twice the quality would take up 4 times the ram... :\

its like a square.... you have a square thats 2cm by 2cm and it takes up 4cm squared....however a 4 by 4 square takes up 16cm squared...

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Indeedles. But it would be good, I can see how this could actually open up alot of new opportunities for homebrew- things we never thought possible will be- such as Windows on PSP, maybe it'll be faster.:biggrin: