• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Custom Firmware 3.52-M33-3 Released

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psp351customfirmware.jpg

As promised, today Team M33 have rolled out the third update to its 3.52 custom firmware series, featuring Video UMD support as well as improved popsloader compatibility.

[blockquote2]Changes:

- Added more speeds: 75 and 133.
- Added flash2 and flash3 usb to recovery
- Added a setting in recovery to change the usb device to which XMB will connect.
- Added "vshmenu", which is a menu that will appear when HOME is pressed in the XMB. It will interfere with existing
XMB plugins that use HOME, so it can be disabled in recovery.
- Added UMD video iso support. The UMD video isos are played using vshmenu. Video isos go in
/ISO/VIDEO folder. They require an UMD inserted because NO-UMD does not work.

Changes in popsloader:

- Support for 3.30 firmware. Instructions are same as in previous release, except 3.30
firmware did not have libpspvmc.prx, so just ignore that file.
- Warning: There is an incompatibility between 3.30 savedata and later ones. If a savedata exists from 3.40+, the emulator will freeze.

Some notes about the usage of vshmenu, and UMD video isos:

- vshmenu cannot be loaded when the browser is active. If you exit the browser, the firmware will
still keep it in memory until you enter other area of XMB, until you do so, you will not be able
to access vshmenu again either.
- video isos and the game isos show in XMB use the same core. Due to this, when you enter in game
menu and there is some iso, if a video iso was currently mounted, it will automatically be unmounted.

- cso format is not supported for video isos.

- UMD audio isos are theoretically supported, but not tested. They go to /ISO/VIDEO.
[/blockquote2]

Remember, you must be running any previous version of <a href="http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=2732" title="3.52 M33 Install Guide" target="_blank">3.52 M33</a> to apply this update. To install the update, just copy over the PSP folder contained in the archive to your memory stick, then navigate to the Game menu and execute the update.

<a href="http://exophase.com/files/psp/m33-333.zip" target="_blank">Download Custom Firmware 3.52-M33-3 Update</a> / <a href="http://exophase.com/files/psp/m33-333.zip" target="_blank"></a><a href="http://paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&amp;business=m-33@yandex.ru">Donate to Team M33</a>

<a href="http://m-33.narod.ru" target="_blank">PSP 3.52 M33-3</a> [Team M33]

Roe

They made the USB able to access the UMD drive through the XMB... My guide is not needed anymore. Another great update to the firmware though. Recovery mode is getting big

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
i'm not sure if i can ask this, but anyway...can i download a umd video iso test anywere, i just want to test it, i don't care what movie is(it can be the worst movie ever)...i just whant to test it, please

Tenshigami

The whole brickage threat scares me. What if they've banned a homebrew program and someone tries to use the program? If they actually did something like that, you'd think they'd have a list, though.

Also, they say in the License:

"If you spread said modificated files, you are required to indicate that you modified them."

Yet I never saw them mention Dark_AleX at all when came to Popsloader. I've even looked at their site, and see nothing but a list of donators.

Also, it's possible the Vshmenu is a (highly modified) version of the menu that displays when you hit Home while emulating firmware in Devhook. It looks strikingly similar.

I considering to do this. my firmware is 1.5 now but can i format my memory card after I make it 3.52 M33 So I don't have all the softmod apps. or do i have to keep all the apps.? what are some other features dose it give? like better "waves" background. custom icons? what else is their on it.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
So apparently some people are getting bricked from this update, and it's speculated that what's triggering it is having certain web pages in the PSP's web cache.

From the LICENSE.TXT

4. BAN.

M33 was designed to be a program to be shared with all PSP homebrew community.
Because we have noticed that there is rubbish inside the community, we have
the rights of making our application NOT TO WORK for certain people or organizations,
in order to protect our rights, the rigths of legitimate homebrew developers, and
the PSP homebrew community.

Because of the nature of the program, which starts with the system, the refuse of
the program to work means too the unability to start the psp device, a.k.a. BRICK.
Our software doesn't contain any malicious code, but code to refuse to start in
those cases, which is legitimate since it is our work.
If you don't agree to this term, you are not allowed to use this software.

In the following section, the word "criminal" will be used to define those that steal source code, compatibility lists, change program credits, or do any other kind of ilicity activity.

You are BANNED of any kind of use, including spreading, of M33 Software, if you meet one or more of the following conditions:

4.1. You didn't agree to all terms of conditions of this license.

4.2. You downloaded this software from a criminal site.

4.3. You have a website of criminal nature, or you are a moderator, or you colaborate, or have colaborated in any way with that type of webiste.

4.4. You are an active forum member of a criminal site.

4.5. You give support or money to a criminal site, either directly (by paying ads or any other thing), or indirectly (indirect money by criminal website frequent visit). "Moral" support to the actions of the criminal site is included. The ban in this point, will be stopped if the support/money ceases. (deleting of ads, stop of visiting the site and removal of psp/pc browser cache).

4.6. You are linked to a criminal website, or your website is partner/friend of a criminal site. In this case, users of the linked website are also banned.

4.7. You have a link to a criminal webiste in your site. This excludes links from forums, or"negative" links.

4.8. You use stolen source code in your psp program (or your parody of program). In this case, both, the application and the stealer are banned.

4.9. You do any kind of activity that damage M33 Team members, or legitimate PSP homebrew coders.

Apparently if you do something they don't want you to they have a bricker that will deploy upon the installation of the update. Just throwin' this warning out there; it's mostly speculation, of course, in regards to rumored brickings.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
i'm not sure if i can ask this, but anyway...can i download a umd video iso test anywere, i just want to test it, i don't care what movie is(it can be the worst movie ever)...i just whant to test it, please

no idea where to get one. anyway it'd be illegal to provide you with a link.

The whole brickage threat scares me. What if they've banned a homebrew program and someone tries to use the program? If they actually did something like that, you'd think they'd have a list, though.

Also, they say in the License:

"If you spread said modificated files, you are required to indicate that you modified them."

Yet I never saw them mention Dark_AleX at all when came to Popsloader. I've even looked at their site, and see nothing but a list of donators.

Also, it's possible the Vshmenu is a (highly modified) version of the menu that displays when you hit Home while emulating firmware in Devhook. It looks strikingly similar.

D_A was considering to do something similar to this with OE, but then he called it quits. Even after he has left the scene this PS3**** site continues to bug him, by posting his full name on their site along with the recent Wildcard source leak.

It's a bit harsh, but maybe it's the only way people will realize NOT to go to that site.

I considering to do this. my firmware is 1.5 now but can i format my memory card after I make it 3.52 M33 So I don't have all the softmod apps. or do i have to keep all the apps.? what are some other features dose it give? like better "waves" background. custom icons? what else is their on it.

You can format your memory stick before installing 3.52 M33, or after. Doesn't matter either way.

Here's a link to the install guide: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=2732

As for other features it supports PSone emulation plus all the other standard features of 3.52. You can customize the icons and waves as well.

supaquickt

Interesting, the only problems I see are what if you run a homebrew program you thought was completely the authors own code but they had actually stolen/modified another work and they BAN (does this mean brick) you?

Although in 4.5 it states "The ban in this point, will be stopped if the support/money ceases" yes I realise probably 99.9% of people will not violate this that's not my point, but does this hold true for all the terms? meaning that if you get rid of the unauthorized homebrew etc then they will unbrick your PSP?

I'm lost at what to do, I have many homebrew apps and have no idea if all the source is 100% the authors, is there a list to help out?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Interesting, the only problems I see are what if you run a homebrew program you thought was completely the authors own code but they had actually stolen/modified another work and they BAN (does this mean brick) you?

Although in 4.5 it states "The ban in this point, will be stopped if the support/money ceases" yes I realise probably 99.9% of people will not violate this that's not my point, but does this hold true for all the terms? meaning that if you get rid of the unauthorized homebrew etc then they will unbrick your PSP?

I'm lost at what to do, I have many homebrew apps and have no idea if all the source is 100% the authors, is there a list to help out?

Nothing should happen if the M33 update EBOOT itself is not modified. I updated myself and everything went fine.

supaquickt

Ok thanks x3sphere, I've never visited ps3**** so all good. Update went fine, now to figure out how to use these new features. Thanks M33.

discobill

yeah well, some of us are nieve and never strayed past the front pages... eh.. i suppose id better start saving up for a new psp and lumines.

supaquickt

just run latest update patch, and now psp boots up ok see xmb and everything, but no buttons or d pad working!!

Its a pure guess but it could be something it doesn't like about your XMB? Are you running a modified XMB?

I know your buttons are not working but try entering recovery mode (right trigger on boot) and see if you can use your buttons in there. If so your halfway towards fixing it as you can always restore. If you can't get in there then you'll have to wait for help.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
i've got a weary feeling with this update, i must say.
now that i've upgraded, i can't play my ripped games. all my iso's can't be shown in the game/memory stick. i'm sticking with update 2.

Probably you need to delete the isocache.bin file in PSP/SYSTEM.

Update works great here, really like the new vshmenu.