• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Dark_AleX's Despertar del Cementerio "Universal Unbricker" v3

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
batterypsp.jpg

Dark_AleX has released an update to his universal unbricker utility for PSP Slim and regular Phat PSP units. The unbricker will now install 3.71 M33-2 directly, instead of the initial 3.71 M33 release and the no-display bug for PSP Slim units has been fixed.

Hmm... could native 1.50 kernel support for the PSP Slim be coming soon? ;)

Download Despertar del Cementerio "Universal Unbricker" v3 / Install Guide

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Hmm... could native 1.50 kernel support for the PSP Slim be coming soon? ;)

HAH, winking... We can put nothing past D_X's brilliance. All I know is if it does arrive I'll go buy a PSP Slim.:smile:

burntsauce

I just placed my order for a PSP Slim as a result. I wonder if SONY realizes that people like me have been holding out for this news before they bought the new "slim" model.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
While I was one of the folks using M33 from the get go on the slim, it's nice to FINALLY be able to see what you're doing on the slim in Pandora. Tried it on my slim, and it works great. :)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
looks like 1.5 kernel might be supported, is that a hint x3sphere?

D_A is working on it. No guarantees but getting the display to work was the biggest hurdle, now the next step is to get the 1.50 kernel to understand the Slim's idstorage (which is entirely encrypted unlike the Phat).

supaquickt

Good stuff, only problem is I made one yesterday oh well. Off to update it. But before I do is there any quick way of updating my current pandora 3.71 M33 stick to 3.71 M33-2 without following all the steps again? Thanks.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Good stuff, only problem is I made one yesterday oh well. Off to update it. But before I do is there any quick way of updating my current pandora 3.71 M33 stick to 3.71 M33-2 without following all the steps again? Thanks.

Yeah, just copy over the new despertar_cementerio folder to your memory stick and do steps 7 - 10 again.

7. Download the Universal Pandora Files ZIP

8. Extract the ZIP using WinRAR or similar utility. Inside, you should see a "despertar_cementerio" folder. Copy this folder to "X:/PSP/GAME" on the memory stick.

9. Download the 1.50, 3.40, and 3.71 update EBOOT files.

Once finished downloading, the files should already be named as follows:

* 150.PBP
* 340.PBP
* 371.PBP

If the file names match, then copy each file to the memory stick root (i.e. X:/)

10. Exit USB mode. Now navigate to the Game menu on PSP and execute the application "Despertar del Cementerio"

supaquickt

Thanks x3, made, tested and works fine on my slim. Like willy said nice to be able to see what your doing.

PS: So when's D_A really going to retire or will he just keep 'updating' his old stuff forever :) Gotta love his work. Awesome.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Thanks x3, made, tested and works fine on my slim. Like willy said nice to be able to see what your doing.

PS: So when's D_A really going to retire or will he just keep 'updating' his old stuff forever :) Gotta love his work. Awesome.

Hehe, well I think he will continue as long as there's an interest in the scene. Although he doesn't plan to keep up with Sony's updates, but then again he has changed his mind before... so we'll see. :)

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Hehe, well I think he will continue as long as there's an interest in the scene. Although he doesn't plan to keep up with Sony's updates, but then again he has changed his mind before... so we'll see. :)

And as long as he'll work I'll still appreciate all he does for the PSP scene.:smile:

PhreakAccident

Semibricks my PSP phat. No biggie if I go to 3.71m33 because format flash 1 fixes it. But if I ever want to put official 3.71 it won't work. Anyone else getting semi-brick?

Edit: I seem to not be able to find the log file. Am I confusing this with another utility? I may just format my stick and go from scratch again.

PhreakAccident

why would you want official 3.71?...:confused1:
I bought a 2 year exchange warranty from a retail store for my PSP, so if the keys start acting funky or anything else, I would really want to get it back to official. Those people will actually turn on the PSP and check to see if people have been mucking around with the firmware.

Anyway.... I formatted my magic stick with Winbloze, then formatted it again with PSP and redid the magic stick to the new version 3. It works now, so it was something I screwed up (not that I doubt the talent of the devs!!!) Hats off!

One question. This new version shows at the top that it identifies my PSP correctly as an Original. Couldn't there be a routine that automatically applies the 1.50 patch when it identifies an original? Or maybe issue the screenblank command, and prompt us for it? It's just candy if anything else :biggrin: I just keep the 1.5 patch on my magicstick and do it manually.

Again, a big thanks. :thumbup1:

Chilly Willy

Contributor
One thing people need to do is turn off all the junk before updating. Turn off any plugins, and any custom themes. The themes in particular seem to cause bricks when updating as the theme goes away, but the references to it in the registry apparently remain.

PhreakAccident

One thing people need to do is turn off all the junk before updating. Turn off any plugins, and any custom themes. The themes in particular seem to cause bricks when updating as the theme goes away, but the references to it in the registry apparently remain.

You know, that was probably what happened. I had thought since the flashes were formatted that I didn't need to worry about it. But that's an excellent thing to keep in mind. Don't want to take any chances :biggrin:

Chilly Willy

Contributor
You know, that was probably what happened. I had thought since the flashes were formatted that I didn't need to worry about it. But that's an excellent thing to keep in mind. Don't want to take any chances :biggrin:

What happens is although the flashes ARE formatted, you can't leave a bare flash. The registry HAS to be there or the update won't install. So the cfw installer first copies the existing registry to memory, formats the flashes, then writes the registry back. If you have settings in the registry that make no sense to the kernel you just updated to, it'll normally give you the BSOD that asks you to reconstruct the registry from the defaults. There are apparently some settings that look fine to the updated kernel, but are no good anymore since what they referred to is gone. The theme is a prime example. The registry will have info on the current theme, and since it's an official theme now that hasn't yet had any changes in format, updating the firmware will accept those settings after update as valid. However, the update/install erased the theme files themselves.

I'm sure there are other things that are similar. So probably most install/update guides should have the first step as "Reset settings to default, and disable all plugins". It wasn't as big a deal before, but 3.71 M33 is such a big step that it DOES make a BIG difference now.

PhreakAccident

Thanks for explaining how this works. Noobs like me would get nowhere if it wasn't for the help of others such as yourself.
PA

What happens is although the flashes ARE formatted, you can't leave a bare flash. The registry HAS to be there or the update won't install. So the cfw installer first copies the existing registry to memory, formats the flashes, then writes the registry back. If you have settings in the registry that make no sense to the kernel you just updated to, it'll normally give you the BSOD that asks you to reconstruct the registry from the defaults. There are apparently some settings that look fine to the updated kernel, but are no good anymore since what they referred to is gone. The theme is a prime example. The registry will have info on the current theme, and since it's an official theme now that hasn't yet had any changes in format, updating the firmware will accept those settings after update as valid. However, the update/install erased the theme files themselves.

I'm sure there are other things that are similar. So probably most install/update guides should have the first step as "Reset settings to default, and disable all plugins". It wasn't as big a deal before, but 3.71 M33 is such a big step that it DOES make a BIG difference now.

weshallburn

HELP! :(

Do I need custom firmware to use this? Cause i tried to use this on my psp (fat) firmware v3.71 and it said "The game could not be started "80020148" :crying: and i couldn't go any further. Please, any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.