• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

A bit of a walkthrough needed.

I am planning on buying a PSP Slim. I know there is homebrew for it already, but I need to know some things before I buy it.

1) What do I need to get to run homebrew on it.
2) There is mention about "Pandora's Battery" is that just needed for 3.60?
3) Will the custom firmware act like Dark_Alex's old Fat PSP firmware? (Running PSX, etc.)

Thanks for the help. I just wanna make sure I can get this right and together before I purchase my PSP. :p

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
1) What do I need to get to run homebrew on it.
You will need a Pandora's Battery and a magic memory stick to install custom firmware 3.71 M33-2. Creating both requires help from someone who already has a homebrew-capable PSP.

Here is a install guide detailing the process: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=3780

2) There is mention about "Pandora's Battery" is that just needed for 3.60?
To go from official firmware to custom on the Slim, a Pandora battery is required. Once you're on custom firmware, then you can update normally as you would on a Phat.

3) Will the custom firmware act like Dark_Alex's old Fat PSP firmware? (Running PSX, etc.)
Yes.

Ahh thanks for moving. Sorry about the wrong section.

Anyways, this all seems a little confusing and different from the old homebrew a while back :p

Would it be easier to just stick to the Fat PSP? Would there be any differences? (Well other than the normal differences with New and Old PSPs :p, I'm talking Homebrew-wise)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Not really, the PSP Slim has 64MB RAM though so some homebrews like the CPS2 emulator benefit from that.

Would the N64 Emulator run much better on it?

I might be just sticking to the Fat one because I won't have another PSP to do the whole Pandora's Battery thing on (As I don't own a PSP yet). Thanks anyways.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Alright Thanks.

I'm still a little fuzzy on my decision though, I WANT to get a PSP Slim but I want to have homebrew, but that won't be possible unless I have Fat PSP.