• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Started portable psx

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Well I guess if no one wants this I could get rid of it but this is going to be my official ps1 portable thread. It's gonna be a bit large since its the original psx but it was disposable so I decided Im going to use it as practice. I'll start posting pictures once I've got something worthy of using. So far I've only removed the controller/memory card port. Next step is testing it out. I plan on making it like a gameboy probably if it gets to big guess Ill go for psp style.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Cool! Can't wait for pics, man! Sounds awesome, I like stuff like this.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Well heres some pics. the first ones are blurry but I thought id add them all since I went through the trouble of putting through ps3 card reader then onto a usb then onto my com since i cant find my card reader. Feel free mods to remove any unnecessary or excessively blurry photos.
P1020888.JPGP1020889.JPGP1020890.JPGP1020891.JPG
P1020892.JPGP1020893.JPGP1020894.JPGP1020895.JPG
P1020896.JPGP1020897.JPGP1020898.JPGP1020899.JPG
P1020900.JPGP1020901.JPG
I've been forced to work on kitchen table as we are always moving stuff around and the only workspace in the house is in a room being changed and Ill be getting a table for my room soon. I dont know if you can see but I messed up my player 2 port a bit hopefully it still works but if not Ill guess Ill just have fun with it and use components.

Cheezeball99

Cool, cool. I reordered ya photos ^_^ But keep up the work and the pics.:smile:

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Wired up the controller took forever since the wire is so thin and sony saw fit to insulate it with the skinniest thread ever. Worst part is Ill probably have to shorten the wire :/. Well I'll post up pictures later.
Edit: I was gonna post pictures of my batteries until I went to the mall and found a perfect voltage set of batteries with a charger at the source will picking up some supplies (wires strippers {shakes fist} and some desoldering cable for smaller bits) It was 44$'s though So I gotta save up a bit of my money since I still need to get a job and already owe my parents some cash.
p.s. got first dremel last night and was using it today to open up my controller (smells really bad).

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
O yes can anyone suggest a good type of filling solution which could provide some structural support to the project as the would save quite a bit of time when constructing the case and mold for vacuum forming.
Also anyone know how to desolder really small points I was thinking desoldering braid and just raising the watts of my iron to help it move along but its so small and theres so little solder.

Cheezeball99

Cool, cool. Sorry I can be of no help :p I'm more on the software side of things, but yeah, this really does sound awesome. I'm excited for some more pics!:smile:

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Well the only thing I could post pics of would be my controller wired to the board from earlier pics or my new dremel everything else is the same. (I might have to do something with it though, forgot about trigger buttons.... doh)
If you really want I could post pics. Forgot though I broke off some component of the board while trying to pry something from the board (don't attempt) I made some giant solder connections which I hope worked.
Edit: Well dreaded this but it is nice to know now. I cant really use a dualshock controller :(. ( anyone wanna buy a dualshock with a 3 inch cord :) )
Anyways I'm gonna use one of my old 3rd party ps1 controllers instead seems a lot easier, so I'm back on track for the controller at least :). still waiting on screen and trying to disconnect stuff from the mobo.
Edit: giant snag seems the screen i ordered will not work. Now I gotta try and return or something for my money. hmmmm anyone have a ps1 screen, hipgear screen, broken portable dvd player with inputs, or portable tv with inputs, for cheap. I could find it somewhere else already see something but if anyone does please tell me.

codgedodger

Member 4 life
no sorry but you said that you need help taking some small compoints off of the mobo try using an solder pump it seems to work really good

codgedodger

Member 4 life
well the i would search fro some new thiner wick on the internet