• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

A ton of reasons why Sony's new Slim models are a rip off.

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
According to various resources Sony is acturally ripping people off by releasing a "redesign" of the PSP.
-the slim will most likely screw up/crack/break if it's impacted by dropping,squishing,smashing,punching,kicking,etc than the fat which has a layer of "impact absorber" (this was done so the slim can be ligher)

-the umd disk holder within the umd drive is crappy you can slide in the umd whatever way you want side ways upside down etc etc. When the fat has a specific slot for the umd to fit exactly and not move around.

-the infred beam/signal/w.e is removed thus making it cost less than the PSP fat's production.

-the added TV out was easily add onto it considering the amount of money saved from removing all that listed above.

-if you scratch a slim the scratch can be seen easily due to it's coating. Sure the smudges can be annoying on the fat, but if you have a clean hand it's better and the slim looks really bad with the coating and crappy in photos too.

- the 52mb ram only costs like around 1dollar more for sony to add since stupid small rams like these are cheap now-a-days

-the slim has the exact same kind of motherboard and cpu as the fat and clocks to 333mhz max.

-the lcd is said to be brighter and better made well it is sort of good, but that's just the improve of technology over the past 2 years.

-the battery saves more power now because the lcd consumes less power.

-the slim has various manufacture defects. So far from all the slims i've seen and tested around 60% of it has a bad/deformed l/r trigger that doesn't work all the time if you press it. The analog stick sometimes aren't placed in the dead center allowing gaps to be seen. The new material that makes up the buttons and analog stick just looks really cheap.

-the memorystick slot looks like it's about to break off.

-the only thing that's making fat heavier is the battery. I bet the fat batteries are stuffed with some garbage useless mattery so it fits exactly in the battery slot. So someone should start selling tiny 1800mAh batteries that fit in the fat and all you have to do to secure it is put paper to make it stay there. There we go a "psp slim"!

chemist

Staff infection
I dont see how this is a rip off. They were not making a whole new hand held device, it is only a upgrade of the phat.They are not going to make a technological break threw for a upgrade that has shit that will blow your mind. What they did was good enough, and you listed more reasons on why to get a slim then why its a rip off.

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
I'm just trying to say how in the end even with the new functions added it's still cheaper to produce a slim than a phat. By at least 5 usd-.-

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
the slim has various manufacture defects. So far from all the slims i've seen and tested around 60% of it has a bad/deformed l/r trigger that doesn't work all the time if you press it. The analog stick sometimes aren't placed in the dead center allowing gaps to be seen. The new material that makes up the buttons and analog stick just looks really cheap.

My L and R buttons work fine. To me the Slim's D-pad is a vast improvement over the Phat PSP's D-pad. For one the buttons feel more responsive, and diagonals are far easier to pull off on the Slim thanks to the D-pad being raised.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
According to various resources Sony is acturally ripping people off by releasing a "redesign" of the PSP.
-the slim will most likely screw up/crack/break if it's impacted by dropping,squishing,smashing,punching,kicking,etc than the fat which has a layer of "impact absorber" (this was done so the slim can be ligher)

I've never seen any "impact absorber" material in any of the videos on how to disassemble the psp. You'll have to provide more backing support for this one.

-the umd disk holder within the umd drive is crappy you can slide in the umd whatever way you want side ways upside down etc etc. When the fat has a specific slot for the umd to fit exactly and not move around.

Have you actually tried this? The UMD will not fit unless placed in the holder the correct way. Any amount of "play" in that is fine and does not affect the ability of the UMD to work. It's considerably easier to put a UMD into a slim properly than a fat. I think they were trying to appeal to younger kids who thought the old mechanism was too complicated. I score this as a PLUS, not a NEGATIVE.

-the infred beam/signal/w.e is removed thus making it cost less than the PSP fat's production.

-the added TV out was easily add onto it considering the amount of money saved from removing all that listed above.

Got rid of one port, added a different one. These two offset each other, so it's a tie.

-if you scratch a slim the scratch can be seen easily due to it's coating. Sure the smudges can be annoying on the fat, but if you have a clean hand it's better and the slim looks really bad with the coating and crappy in photos too.

People whined about scratches on the original PSP faceplate. So there's no difference to now. People will always whine about plastic faceplates. They scratch - period. How it looks in photos is an OPINION and you are entitled to yours. Mine is that it looks better. So this is a tie as well.

- the 52mb ram only costs like around 1dollar more for sony to add since stupid small rams like these are cheap now-a-days

This is a PLUS, not a negative. Win for the Slim.

-the slim has the exact same kind of motherboard and cpu as the fat and clocks to 333mhz max.

This is incorrect. The motherboard is COMPLETELY different, and so is the CPU. There are reports that the Slim can be clocked to 366 MHz, but I haven't tried it on mine yet. Even if it's not any faster, it just means this is another tie. No win for either. It's a non-issue.

-the lcd is said to be brighter and better made well it is sort of good, but that's just the improve of technology over the past 2 years.

Win for the Slim.

Incorrect. The majority of the power use from the LCD comes from the backlight, and I've seen nothing to say the backlight in the slim is more efficient. Actually, the MAJORITY of the power savings come from the new motherboard and new CPU. While it's not any faster, it consumes far less power than the old motherboards and CPUs. Another win for the Slim.

-the slim has various manufacture defects. So far from all the slims i've seen and tested around 60% of it has a bad/deformed l/r trigger that doesn't work all the time if you press it. The analog stick sometimes aren't placed in the dead center allowing gaps to be seen. The new material that makes up the buttons and analog stick just looks really cheap.

Now you're pulling figures out of your butt. I really doubt that 60% of all PSP Slims you've seen have defects of the sort you describe. You're exaggerating things because you're having trouble finding real evidence to back up your crazy assertion that the Slim is a rip-off. I can easily say back that none of the Slims I've seen have any defects at all. Some percentage of PSPs (Slim or Phat) will have defects. Some occur in shipping. Maybe the batch you saw were all damaged by the shipper.

And as others have pointed out, far more people like the new buttons and d-pad than don't like it. I certainly do.

No, it doesn't.

-the only thing that's making fat heavier is the battery. I bet the fat batteries are stuffed with some garbage useless mattery so it fits exactly in the battery slot. So someone should start selling tiny 1800mAh batteries that fit in the fat and all you have to do to secure it is put paper to make it stay there. There we go a "psp slim"!

Incorrect again. You really can't even keep your "facts" straight. You said in you very first "fact" that material had been removed to make the PSP lighter. Now you're saying it's the battery, not that material. Make up your mind.

In truth, there are many things that make the Slim lighter, and the battery is only ONE thing from a list of things.

All in all, the argument that the Slim is a rip-off is rife with opinion and misinformation. In truth, the Slim is at least as good a deal, if not better.

Raztix

You're just mad you have a fat chick on your hands and not a slick skinny one

:biggrin:

Just kidding but seriously I have the white one and everyone I know has said it looks great. granted I don't care about the Darth Vader in the back I can go without that really. But the black one is so big, bulky, and heavy, I don't see myself going back to it.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
In truth, I really don't see a big difference. It's only SLIGHTLY slimmer, and only noticeable when the two are placed back to back. The slim does FEEL noticeably lighter, but the phat wasn't really that heavy... unless you're a five year-old kid. :)

In the three months I've had my slim (after a year and a half of the phat), my impressions are:

I like the slim buttons.
I like the video output.
I like the extra memory.
I miss the IR port.

Nothing else really made a difference one way or the other, so the score wound up 3 to 1. So it's certainly not a rip-off - or at least, not any more than the phat (if you consider that a rip-off).

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Ummm, who cares?

Well, probably very few people. :biggrin:

However, SOME people will care, and so we want to provide enough info to where they can make an INFORMED decision on the matter. If you don't care, you can just ignore the thread. :wink:

booom

i am a new owner of psp slim, i dont encounter any problem for now.but i like the handling for the psp slim, it firs on my hands :D

goemon4

i dont really find any part of it a rip. I m ean its like saying t he DS Lite is a rip. I find it a nice revamp of the old psp, since its excatly as its named, slimmer. Id understand if they marketed it as a brand new product, or said it could cure cancer.... But its nice none the less, i enjoy owning both a fat and a slim, but thats just me

d1ddy

cry mawr.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
i only got a chance to mess with a slim unit recently and it felt alright.felt better in my hands for me....pity the 1.5 kernal cant be used,otherwise i'd switch to a slim :)

Hellcat

Contributor
/me hugs his slim :)

I don't fell like beeing ripped off, alone beacause it IS cheaper than the Fat.
I just like it :)
(but wouldn't wanna miss my Fat as well - for the good old times sake :D)

gusto5

Those reasons (the valid ones, anyway) maybe applicable for people who are considering dropping their fats for their slims.

I do not have L-trigger problems, and the memory card cover does NOT feel like its going to break.

With scratching, piano black is that colour that essentially makes scratches show up more, but thats not the only colour.