• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

programing

nevster

hiya,

i really want learn to program and was wondering if anyone could give any advice on how to get started

thanks

nevster

excellent thanks for the quick reply...

so say i was gonna try and make some apps for my psp (obviously way into the future lol) or possibly my ps3 if it was ever made homebrew friendly, what code would i need to learn?

Darkchild

The Doctor
you are welcome, if you need any guidance as to where you could find good tutorials. just ask ;) we have our very own tutorial section, might find what you need there ;)

JustPie

excellent thanks for the quick reply...

so say i was gonna try and make some apps for my psp (obviously way into the future lol) or possibly my ps3 if it was ever made homebrew friendly, what code would i need to learn?

Probably the wayyy Future. Programming is frustrating at first epically if you don't have anyone looking over your sholder telling what you did wrong and why its wrong. Once you get programming "view" you should be fine and figure out how to solve problems quickly.

nevster

Probably the wayyy Future. Programming is frustrating at first epically if you don't have anyone looking over your sholder telling what you did wrong and why its wrong. Once you get programming "view" you should be fine and figure out how to solve problems quickly.

lol i can imagin it will be frustrating, when i wanna do something though i'll stick at it till i get it... my cousin is a programmer, dont see him very often though, luckily i can email him when i get stuck, can see him getting sick of me lol

i had a look in the tutorial section but couldn't find anything, anychance of posting a link?

JustPie

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Tutorials for C++

In order for you to run your code you will need to compile it (convert it to machine language).
In order to compile you will need to get a compiler.

Lots are free, some aren't.

I use G++ for windows.
http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/math/ALee/g++/g++.html

Theres another one i know of called Bloodshed
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

here is a quick sample program to get you started.
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <stdio.h>
using namespace std;

int main () {

cout << "Hello World" << endl;

getchar();
return 0;
}

Note that syntax is very important. If i were to leave out a single ; or { the program would not run and it would spit out errors

Edit...
Dark beat me to the punch

nevster

both of your post are very helpful, thanks alot to you both...

lets just hope i can pick it up as easy as i hope to lol

Acerthief

both of your post are very helpful, thanks alot to you both...

lets just hope i can pick it up as easy as i hope to lol

It's easy to pick it up, trust me XD.

A book is essential, it's your only tutor when no one's around. If you're going with C/C++, psp-programming.com is a good place for starters, and forum.ps2dev.org is a place for advanced users (Use it for reference only, don't post in there!).

Acerthief

sweet as mate... i take it you know c/c++ well then, how long did it take you to pick it up?

Well I had learn Matlab before C/C++, so i knew basic concepts of programming. Less than a month for me.

If you take 30 mins a day, you're very first program will be written soon before you've realized. :D

nevster

guess i should start thinking of a program really then... at the min i have no idea lol i thought i should learn the code and then think about a program to create

Acerthief

guess i should start thinking of a program really then... at the min i have no idea lol i thought i should learn the code and then think about a program to create

Sure,you're about on the right track. This is how I learn programming.
1)Buy a book. It's doesn't have to be very detailed, but it's tells you what every line does and why.

2)Go through the book. Now if you're math sucks like me (hell I'm only 15) some parts of the book that goes into super advanced math (Mine has calculus :w00t:), just skip it. You won't be running a program with a lotta calculus now would you?

3)Start writing simple programs - On THE COMPUTER. I did like over 200. (Even the most boring programs can teach you stuff)

4)Now you check out http://www.psp-programming.com or sites similar like that, and then you can quickly adapt how to code from computer programs to PSP homebrew!

Like I said, 30~60mins a day, you'll soon be fine within a month.

JustPie

Your first programs are supposed to be really easy and shouldn't require much thinking.

An example would be make a program that does calculations a cash register would make.

Add the total of a bunch of items, Determine how much money have been given to the cashier from there tell how much change is owed.