• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

ELSPA: We Never Said 90 Percent Of DS Owners Are Pirates

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
r4ds1.jpg

The Sunday Post's Euan Duguid recently quoted ELSPA Intellectual Property Crime Unit manager John Hillier as saying that "90 percent" of all North America DS owners own an R4 flash cart and use the device to pirate games.

90 percent? You've got to be kidding me. Most people here in the states don't even know what an R4 is. Sure enough, a spokesperson for ELSPA denied the statement today.[blockquote2][John] didn't quote The Sunday Post on any figures whatsoever. ELSPA would certainly never presume to comment about America or anywhere else outside of the UK.[/blockquote2]So where did the number come from? Apparently the writer over at the The Sunday Post grabbed the information from an unnamed website based in Singapore, which consisted of false quotes and twisted facts.

ELSPA distances itself from DS piracy report [GI.biz]

o2byzst

Yeah to be honest I'd never even heard of this till a fews week ago. I asked some friends in the game business, some of whom work at Gamestop and one who works as a Nintendo rep for the stores and they hadn't heard of it either. Clearly this isn't as wide spread as this report says if people like that don't know about it.

Lol. Try doing some actual research before writing crap like this. Maybe this Post writer should meet Cooper Lawrence (the crazy Mass Effect lady).

cory1492

I know what the device is, and my 1/2 brothers sister friends stepfathers daughters sisters kid knows what it is... let me do the math... yep, 90% of us use it! xD

icedman204

Well if rarely anyone uses the R4 there are others like it, like the Super card, M3 etc etc etc.... So if they dont know about the R4 the chances are they DO know about the others and would rather illigally download games into Micro SD cards then to buy a game at $20-$50 a Cart (Mostly Chinese people use these the most, from what i have been seeing)