• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Wii Nintendo WiFi Connection Goes Pay To Play

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
nwfc01.png

During a GDC presentation today, Nintendo announced that it plans to introduce a pay to play plan for certain Nintendo WiFi Connection enabled titles.

While Nintendo Network Group manager Takashi Aoyama did not reveal which upcoming titles will fall under the new plan, he did say that to avoid customer confusion, the titles will be specially marked with a red icon that denotes "Pay And Play."

GDC 2008: Pay to Play Your Wii [IGN]

shadowforte

Maybe if they had a better online set up then this pile of crap they have now, they could charge with no problem.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Oh Christ, hmm, I wonder which title they have in mind in particular!? Hm!? *AHEM* SMASH BROS. BRAWL! This really pisses me off, seriously. Oh, and keep in mind it'll have to be per GAME, not per account. >.> This move is a serious money-grubbing action by Nintendo. Are they not making enough by absolutely every console they've produced flying off of the shelf!? Are they not making enough with the VC? Pft.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I don't think they'll be doing it for Brawl since it's already out in Japan and the online mode is entirely free.

They might be reserving this Pay and Play label for MMO type games only. At least, I hope so.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
I don't think they'll be doing it for Brawl since it's already out in Japan and the online mode is entirely free.

They might be reserving this Pay and Play label for MMO type games only. At least, I hope so.

*Takes deep breaths* Alright. Good to hear.:blushing: My bad. Yeah, I sure hope it's only for games such as MMO's...