• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

This is probably a very simple question.

WhiteCrane

Hi all. First let me explain my situation.

I have a slim psp running official firmware 3.72. I have a Pandora Battery. Please, don't tell me how to make one, I got one!

I have a 'Pandora 380' Magic memstick... sort of. Let me explain:

The memstick has been FORMATTED to a Pandora mem stick. I did NOT put the firmwares on the mem stick. So when I hold L trigger and boot the psp into that menu with 4 options, I dont trust any of them!

How couldI install customer firmware if I dont have it, I think the "menu" is mistaken!

I have read a million tutorials, none of them address my situation!

I can NOT run Hellcat mem stick maker. But since my mem stick has the format of a magic mem stick, I think all i need to do is copy the firmwares to the stick... is this right?

I simply dont know what the next step is for me.

Now you're probably wondering how I created magic mem stick? I did so using an application through DOS called "mspformat". At the end of this process I received confirmation that I did create a magic mem stick, HOWEVER, There is NO firmware on my mem stick.

Now guys I've been to forum after forum, and I keep getting the strange responses that don't really address my situation.

One more thing: Holding R trigger with Pandora battery and 'magic memstick' in my psp does nothing. It does not bring me to recovery menu. So I can not do step one of x3sphere's tutorial I read. but on the plus side I THINK I can get away with just copying the firmwares to the proper places. Its my understanding I don't need to do any downgrading.

Darkchild

The Doctor
well, you not only have to format the memory stick but to run that msipl thing, and that requires a file that is made through the PSP. (I think that file is msipl.bin and it is usually in the root of the memory stick)

WhiteCrane

well, you not only have to format the memory stick but to run that msipl thing, and that requires a file that is made through the PSP. (I think that file is msipl.bin and it is usually in the root of the memory stick)

First let me thank you for your reply. Rest assure im not some total noob who will get the info he needed and leave and never post again. I'm quite the forum rat. I'll stick around and be as helpful as I can to whomever I can.

Let me clarify something. By format, I do not mean I formatted in the sense of how we format disks and hard drives. Erase everything on the disk. That's not what I did.

I ran "installipl" through DOS. then I received the confirmation "WRITE MS BOOT CODE" message, meaning the boot code has been written to the stick.

Some people would consider that a magic memory stick, however most forums dont consider it one until you have added the firmware to it as well and done a few more things.

However, the root of my memory stick looks as follows:

If i dont put an extension, it is a folder! :
elf
IPL
kd
MP_ROOT
MUSIC
nandTool_dumps
PICTURE
PSP
registry
VIDEO
380.pbp --- I know that's firmware, but don't i need more than just ONE firmware?
MEMSTICK.IND ---Hidden file
MSTK_PRO.IND ---Hidden file.

Ok... It seems I'm retarded. I do have custom firmware on my memory stick. Isn't there some process I am skipping over if I go and do this now?

Doesn't anyone else think its weird I cant get into the special menu you get into by holding R trigger on a boot up? I should be able to do that fi I have pandora battery right?

Ugh... I wish I could have just ran Hellcat and done it the same great method you guys used. But hellcat wont run on my psp. I've tried it. It wont run.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The memstick has been FORMATTED to a Pandora mem stick. I did NOT put the firmwares on the mem stick. So when I hold L trigger and boot the psp into that menu with 4 options, I dont trust any of them!

What options are there? From the memory stick layout you posted above, it seems to me that your magic memory stick is setup correctly. 150.PBP and 340.PBP are missing but that's ok -- you only need those two files when installing the magic memory stick files.

When you install custom firmware it uses the 380.PBP and various files in KD.

WhiteCrane

The screen in the "L trigger with pandora battery menu" is as follows:

Tachyon = 0x00500000, Baryon=0x0022B200
Pommel = 0x00000123, Syscon DK =0x3DFF
Nand size = 67108864
Model: PSP Slim (TA-85)

Press X to install 3.80 M33
Press O to install original 3.80
Press [ ] to dump the nand
Press L+R+start+home to restore nand dump phisically (dangerous!)

Here are my comments.
3.80 M33 ok, that is on my mem stick
"Original 3.80"... I assume that means official Sony firmware? Ok IF and only IF that is what that means, then I must point out, original 3.80 is not on the mem stick, UNLESS it too is contained in the file I listed above as 380.pbp - but its my assumption that only 1 firmware can be in one file. Maybe im wrong!

I know what nand dumps are, its a collection of data on the hardware of your psp. I would like to avoid making one if I can Seems not worth the hassle

Now I should mention the firmware installed on the psp at current is official 3.72 Not official 3.80.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The screen in the "L trigger with pandora battery menu" is as follows:

Tachyon = 0x00500000, Baryon=0x0022B200
Pommel = 0x00000123, Syscon DK =0x3DFF
Nand size = 67108864
Model: PSP Slim (TA-85)

Press X to install 3.80 M33
Press O to install original 3.80
Press [ ] to dump the nand
Press L+R+start+home to restore nand dump phisically (dangerous!)

Here are my comments.
3.80 M33 ok, that is on my mem stick
"Original 3.80"... I assume that means official Sony firmware? Ok IF and only IF that is what that means, then I must point out, original 3.80 is not on the mem stick, UNLESS it too is contained in the file I listed above as 380.pbp - but its my assumption that only 1 firmware can be in one file. Maybe im wrong!

I know what nand dumps are, its a collection of data on the hardware of your psp. I would like to avoid making one if I can Seems not worth the hassle

Now I should mention the firmware installed on the psp at current is official 3.72 Not official 3.80.

Yes, original 3.80 = 380.PBP. The M33 files are in KD.

So, all you need to do is press X to install 3.80 M33.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
And hypothetically, if that were to brick it, in my mem sticks current condition I could restore it?

If it bricks, that means something was wrong with the magic memory stick files, so you wouldn't be able to restore it until you get the correct files on your memory stick. I can't provide these files here unfortunately as they are illegal to distribute. And, yeah, you can't use Hellcat's program because it only runs on custom firmware.

However, from what I can see, your magic memory stick is setup correctly. The program you used to format your memory stick was most likely an easy installer and it installed all of the necessary files on your stick.

WhiteCrane

Thanks!

I really apreciate your helpfullness everyone!

I've done alot of stuffto this memory stick, so im going to format it once more and makeit magic again just to be on the safe side.

One more question. If i select option "O" to install original 380 firmware, that is official sony firmware?

I didn't know sony was up that high. lmao, watch be brick it right before crysis core comes out, ha! What a great joke that would be.

I'll be sure to post my results, thank you again.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I really apreciate your helpfullness everyone!

I've done alot of stuffto this memory stick, so im going to format it once more and makeit magic again just to be on the safe side.

One more question. If i select option "O" to install original 380 firmware, that is official sony firmware?

I didn't know sony was up that high. lmao, watch be brick it right before crysis core comes out, ha! What a great joke that would be.

I'll be sure to post my results, thank you again.

Yes selecting O will install original 3.80 firmware.