• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

ISO Compression

Raymond_N

I am using psp ISO Compressor v1.4 to compress my ISO to CSO. Using Compression level 9 some games become laggy. I uncompressed them back into ISO to fix the lag. The question I have is if I used a lower compression level like 4 would it fix the lag, or does the lag come from uncompressing any level of compression. I really hate ISO files there twice the size as CSO.

I used GTA Liberty City Stories to test the compression levels

ISO : 1225 MB
Compression 1 : 607 MB
Compression 4 : 598 MB
Compression 9 : 596 MB

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Using level 1 compression may help, but if not then you'll have to leave the ISO uncompressed.

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
LCS lags more with ISO (due to size matter causing it longer to scan and load) for slower memory sticks such as sony fake/genuine and lexar and normal sandisk. A Sandisk Ultra II or Extreme III would run any game w/o lag uncompressed or compressed.(assumeble from my tests anyway)

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
I have a Sony MS (not fake) and it works perfectly.

PS: The game doesn't lag, only Online games lag

JonC04

Well.. If it lags then why don't you try changing the Clock speed for the Game.

Just go to the XMB and press, "Select" or "Start" and the VSH Menu will pop up and you can change the "CPU Clock Game" to 300/--(-- means I don't know the number but just make sure the first one is 300) and then your game should run smoothly, CSO or ISO, It works for GTA VCS, not 100% sure if it works on GTA LCS though.

So just try it out =/

Raymond_N

I was using GTA LCS as an example to show the difference in size when using a different compression level. The GTA games lag a bit but not often enough to render the game unplayable. The games that were rendered unplayable are God of War and Need for speed Carbon. I think compression hurts when the game has been designed to use 300 MHz, Im pretty sure God of War uses 300 MHz i'm not sure about Carbon.

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
The main issue is the memorystick your using not the cpu speed(although it is a factor...) Oh and god of war will lag alot less than GTA because it's locked camera (no continous rendering of 3d camera) Although God of War do have better quality in terms of graphics.

JonC04

Yah.. I meant 333 ^-^;; But for me, I have no problems with the lag, because of changing the CPU Clock Speed.

Raymond_N

I have both a Sony and Sandisk 4 GB cards both genuine . When I put the compressed version of God of War on the cards it lags. Since there are others who have it compressed and not laggy I'm starting to think it might be the program I'm using to compress the files. I'm using PSP ISO compressor v1.4 anyone have one better than this.

JonC04

Well I use something called "Yet Another Playstaion Tool" which is also called, "YAPT" and when I compress it with level 9 compression, it's fine.

Raymond_N

I'm just trying to eliminate some causes of the problem. I installed the patch for 3.71 FatMS for 3.90 and in the read me it says it does not fix the lag from the Sony no umd driver. Should I be using a different one.