• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

New MS, new problems

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
Hi, everyone.
I've recently bought a Sandisk ms, 4GB.(the red one)
It's not fake, it supports Magicgate, it's faster than Sony's ms and it has really 4 Gbs (well, 3904 MBs).
Here is my problem, most of the furoms I checked say that it is a lot faster that the Sony's MS, but mine isn't a lot faster, just a bit. I have discovered that it is formatted as FAT32 and, correct if I'm wrong, FAT is faster. I've tried using the PSP but it only formats it to FAT32 and OS (XP) doesn't let me format it to FAT.This doesn't happen to my Sony ms, i can format it to FAT.
I want to know ifthere is any possibility to format it to FAT.
Thanks.

PS: For some odd reason, I can't use my new ms with the adapter.Why?

Hanzo_f19

~I been making some search and it appears that this only happens on 3.80 and + (yeah, that ms problem), but why isn't the XP enabled to format it to FAT?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
4GB + are supposed to be formatted FAT32, but you can still format them to FAT.

Try typing this in commnd line -

FORMAT X: /FS:FAT16

Of course replace X with the letter of the MS drive.

Richlando

Just out of curiousity..what is the size that should be formatted to? 16kb,32kb,64kb or higher?I ask this now because I can format to FAT in Vista but I didn't know which option to choose.

Hanzo_f19

I just formated with Linux. Now I'm noticing some speed improvements.
x3, why do they have to be formated in FAT32?
Thanks.

PS.Are there any cons about using a Sandisk Gaming 4GBS in FAT (a.k.a FAT16)?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Just out of curiousity..what is the size that should be formatted to? 16kb,32kb,64kb or higher?I ask this now because I can format to FAT in Vista but I didn't know which option to choose.

Higher cluster size will give you better performance, but files will take up more space.

I just formated with Linux. Now I'm noticing some speed improvements.
x3, why do they have to be formated in FAT32?
Thanks.

PS.Are there any cons about using a Sandisk Gaming 4GBS in FAT (a.k.a FAT16)?

Well the only con really is that you won't be able to put files bigger than 2GB is size on the stick, because it's a limitation of the FAT file system.

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
There aren't any files that's like 2GB for psp anyway(maybe psx multi-disced but still rare). As for the red sandisk one. All I have to say is...get the Sandisk EXTREME III 4GB that's the fastest Memory Stick currently out.=)

Hanzo_f19

Well the only con really is that you won't be able to put files bigger than 2GB is size on the stick, because it's a limitation of the FAT file system.

Good to know that.Thanks for the info and help.

There aren't any files that's like 2GB for psp anyway(maybe psx multi-disced but still rare). As for the red sandisk one. All I have to say is...get the Sandisk EXTREME III 4GB that's the fastest Memory Stick currently out.=)

Give me the money and I shall get it :wink: