• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Steinberg: Exclusive 360 GTA IV DLC, Who Cares?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
money-bagc.jpg

It's a well-known fact that Microsoft handed a large sum of money over to Take-Two in exchange for exclusive Grand Theft Auto IV downloadable content. Does this bother Sony at all? Let's face it, in the past GTA was always a PlayStation centric franchise. People associated the game directly with the brand. So, again, does this worry Sony? If you ask Scott Steinberg, VP of Product Marketing at SCEA, the answer is an emphatic no:[blockquote2][Microsoft] spent the GNP of several small Latin American countries to get that [content], and if you've ever played San Andreas...there's a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto and there's going to be a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto IV to the point where I think most people will have that Grand Theft Auto experience on the PS3, day and date, same core game shipping on the 360. Perhaps they'll be shipping some episodic content in the fall, but there is a whole lot of product shipping on the PS3 in April and I personally don't think there's going to be a huge percentage of folks who jump into downloadable content for another price when they're still playing through the core product[/blockquote2]Steinberg added, "I think the clear exclusive message that we have is that the PS3 is where, not only do you get Grand Theft Auto, but you'll get MGS, you'll get Gran Turismo and these are also brands that have moved hardware units. It's the elite of the elite products that actually enable hardware to be sold with software and we'll have three of them."

Talk about beating the corporate drum. I fail to see why people won't buy it, actually. GTA is a huge game by nature, yes, but us gamers always want more right? Point is, if the DLC adds a substantial amount to the game, people will buy it.

Sony Downplays GTA IV Episodic Content [GameDaily]