• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP phat vs. PSP slim

mLaughingMan

The Windows Hacker
I know that the new psp slim has just released in North America, but is it worth the upgrade? Is it hackable? All I know is that its lighter and has double memory.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It's hackable if you have a regular PSP. Since you'll need a regular PSP with custom firmware to create a Pandora battery and magic memory stick.

The main benefits of the Slim homebrew-wise is that it has TV-out, as well as 64MB RAM and 64MB of free space on the flash memory (regular PSP only has 32MB). With the extra RAM I've also noticed UMD games load faster.

If its worth the upgrade or not is up to you. I mean, right now, there is really nothing that only runs on the Slim but not the Phat. Of course that could change in the future, like for example D_A recently got homebrew working with TV-out on the Slim (not fully working yet but getting there).

Chilly Willy

Contributor
I think a lot of people misunderstand the TV code that D_A released. It's FULLY working, but it's just code that programmers work into their programs. It's not something that makes all programs magically appear on the TV. The programmers must insert D_A's code into their code and then alter the program to handle the larger screen that the TV out requires.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I think a lot of people misunderstand the TV code that D_A released. It's FULLY working, but it's just code that programmers work into their programs. It's not something that makes all programs magically appear on the TV. The programmers must insert D_A's code into their code and then alter the program to handle the larger screen that the TV out requires.

Ah, you're right - hadn't taken a good look at it until now. Cool, I'll have to try some things with it once I get an AV cable.

SecretFalcon

I still like the phat version better, even though I bought a slim version,(which I traded than for a phat)
Phat's are much more grippable and fit in my hands better. (and yes I know we can buy huge grips, still, it aint the same)

JonC04

The value pack for the Phat was so much better then the ones for the Slim... My friends didn't come with earphones, PSP Pouch, 32Mb MS or even a wrist strap =P

eelbowel

I've had my fat psp since '04, dropped it a couple times, not one problem. :) so fat all the way for now I say.

JonC04

For me... I dropped my psp a couple of times and I got these big 1" cracks on each side of the faceplate... but easily fixable with a new faceplate =/