• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

For those interested about having GPS to work on your PSP

Gwapingn8

I know a bunch of people already heard about GPS on your psp.
Well don't you even think it's a hoax.... because it's real.
Just one of the many capabilities of the PSP.

Here's what I know. You would need the following in order to get your psp to have GPS capabilities.

1) PSP core of course
2) GPS 290 (this is the actual gps receiver made by sony)
3) Map This Software created by Deniska
4) GMDL tool which will allow you to create more maps created by In7ane

If you lived in Japan, you only need the psp & the receiver.
There is a software support for people living in ASIA.

But unfortunately for people living here in USA, Canada, Mexico, you know the drill.
We don't have software support yet..... but there comes Deniska' Map This Software.....
The only drawback to this is that you will have to learn to create your OWN maps using a GMDL tool made by In7ane.

Another thing I want to add. There is one other way to get gps receiver that you can use, they say it picks up sattelite signals more faster & reliable than the original GPS 290, but you will have dismantle parts... I prefer the GPS-290 because all you need to do is plug it in and it's ready.

Quick note... you need all 3 items to run a gps on your psp, and the 4th item is only to create maps, also might I add your psp MUST be a custom M33... preferably 3.71 or higher for the Map This program to run smoothly. And for the GPS-290 receiver, go to Ebay they run around $50 to $70.

That's all I know... anyone want's to add more... please feel free! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

EDIT:
one questions to the moderators of forums.... I have links to other site that better explain in details what needs to be done in order to make your psp run a gps... will I be able to post links on this forum? am I allowed to do so? if that's fine, let me know... i'm ready to share this wonderful new innovation for our psp community, so less searching for people in need of a gps on their psp.

Acerthief

I think it's okay, though make sure the OTHER forum allows you to do so.

And post in the General Section if you're gonna share it. :D

Gwapingn8

I think it's okay, though make sure the OTHER forum allows you to do so.

And post in the General Section if you're gonna share it. :D

thanks for the info Acerthief:smile:

so with that here are some links..

here is a wikibook link about Map This.... Very easy to follow and well described.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!
all credit goes to Deniska for making this program

here's a wikibook link about GMDL Tool.... and yes it is well described & well explained.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Global_Map_Download_Tool
all credit goes to In7ane for making this program.

and to DAX thank you very much for making our psp so versatile, without you the psp community wouldn't have grown that much

Anyone with questions, just ask me. I'll try my best to answer or at least guide you to a right path.

Gwapingn8

Gwapingn8

having a hard time finding all the things you need.... here's a link.

for map this!, you could actually search this on the threads here on exophase... but to acquire the software.... click on this link.

http://exophase.com/psp/mapthis-05-released-1741.htm

follow the read me to know how to install... (very similar to CWcheats if you've installed that before)

now for the GMDL tool....

http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl.html

if download doesn't start, just click the blinking bar located under the book mark icon (if you are using internet explorer)

now for the receiver, you can find that on asian markets around you... try china town..
if worst gets to worse and you can't find it... do what I did.... and go shop at EBAY... search "gps psp", "psp-290", "psp gps receiver" and you should have a list of items for sale...

now as for the psp... that's something you must have to begin with other wise you wouldn't even be browsing for information about you psp.

if you still get stuck.... let me know.... if it's working for you... let me know...
we need to share this wonderful tool for psp users...

i love it myself... I have a psp... i want a GPS.... i don't want to spend money...
so i buy the gps receiver.. cost me $70 from ebay.. and magic! i have a gps....
if i was able to make it work..... you can too!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

moscato78

help! i got a gps290 from ebay,, put it on,, and nothing!
i spent day after day reading these forms, and figured out that my KEY 41 is Corrupt.
ANY1 know how to FIX this??

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Gwapingn8

Yes, try running KeyCleaner:

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=1238

It should ask you to fix key 41.

Thanks x3sphere...

I forgot that if your psp was downgraded first then upgraded to a custom firmware, you might run into problems with having some keys corrupted.... key cleaners such as one that x3sphere, would definitely help fix things up... try it again if something else happens, let me know:smile:

Gwapingn8

one thing to add here... when using the GMDL tool... on the LEFT hand side of the screen are Options... and on this options it allows you to pick what kind of map engine you would like to use. if you are much of a google map person, then use that.. if you are more of an MSN or Yahoo person then use that... this makes the mechanics of manipulating fields in the maps easier for you. assuming that you are familiar with these map engines... they work the same way when using the GMDL tool... in terms of making POI or Directions to use on your psp. got it:smile:

Gwapingn8

MY experience..

I went to PA this last Saturday..
to be specific... I went to Treasure Lake in Dubois, Pennsylvania..
And I live in Toronto..

I totally depended on this GPS along with my trusted PSP..
And here I am back in Toronto after 5 days of vacation.

This gps device, might not be as great as those tomtom's and anchors
or what not.

But it does it's job..
and it is a well invested money.
I would totally recommend it even more now
that I fully tested it for a long 6 hour drive.

Just wanted to share my experience

Gwapingn8

for people who are on 4.01m33.... I am not sure if this application will work... I just recently updated to 4.01m33 on one of my psp's so i'll test drive it with the gps... i'll get back on you people about the compatibility of it with 4.01m33 ok... gimme a week.

Gwapingn8

Alright... I did not even need a week to test the PSP..
it seems to be working as well as it was while I had it on 3.80m33

i have the gps directioning working... the sounds are working, the images are fine.
and real-time gps lock-on is working well.. i'm going to test it on another psp..

and I will also test it on slim units.... and I'll get back on you guys with this..

question??? I feel alone.... i see a lot of hits... but is anybody trying this gps thing out?
shed some light please...:smile:

Gwapingn8

YEP FOLKS!!!

It has been tested...

tried it on 4 PSP Phat units

and 3 PSP Slim units.

and on all test,

everything went well with the most current

custom firmware of 4.01 M33-2

so go ahead and upgrade this application will still work well

Gwapingn8

Just a quick question, i Have 4.01 M33-2 and I live in the UK.... If i bought Go! Explore (http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/3433758/Go-Explore/Product.html)

Would it work on the custom firmware etc?

checking out the website you included, I don't see why not..

basically it is the same GPS receiver that I use...

GO!Explore is just anothe program...
the one I am covering here is a homebrew program created by
DENISKA..

don't take my word for it, but I think it should work just fine.:smile:

Gwapingn8

Just a quick question, i Have 4.01 M33-2 and I live in the UK.... If i bought Go! Explore (http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/3433758/Go-Explore/Product.html)

Would it work on the custom firmware etc?

checking out the website you included, I don't see why not..

basically it is the same GPS receiver that I use...

GO!Explore is just anothe program...
the one I am covering here is a homebrew program created by
DENISKA..

don't take my word for it, but I think it should work just fine.:smile:

sorry if this is all I can help you with.

Gwapingn8

I recently just bought myself a Slim Metallic Blue PSP.

anyways, I tried the GPS units on this one and boy does it work really well.

I have noticed an increase on Sattelite lock-on with the SLIM units.

Perhaps the things they added on the slim is very much worth it.

On the PHAT psp... it used to take 5 to 10 minutes to get a lock-on (and this is on a bright sunny day)

But now that I have a SLIM I noticed an increase in Lock-On with satellite... about 2 to 3 minutes now (even on a rainy day)

"JUST WANTED TO SHARE THAT INFO":wink:

january39

eXo Staff
i have a gps unit and it does take ages, but i have find it no more quicker on the slim.

hmmmm i'll try again though now ;-)

january39

eXo Staff