• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Replaced Faceplate, Analog Stick doesn't work correctly.

andrewset

Hello,

I just replaced the front faceplate of my (fat) PSP, because the old one was scratched up, but now some buttons won't work sometimes. The worst problem of all is the analog stick. When I first installed the faceplate, the analog stick would only respond to Left. In an attempt to fix it, I opened the PSP up again just to remove and reinstall the analog stick chip thing (not the one on the PSP, of course, but the one that's screwed into the back of the faceplate), hoping that whatever was wrong would be fixed if I simply gave it a second go. But now it's worse. Each direction either doesn't respond, or, stranger, causes the analog stick to act as if it's being held in one direction, even after I let go.

I don't know what's making this complicated (there doesn't seem to be a 'wrong' way to screw in the analog chip, because it only fits one way and one direction). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Acerthief

I think you'll have to take it apart to check it again, mate.

Or some how you broke the analog stick.

Raymond_N

Your new faceplate might be the problem, try to reinstall the original faceplate and see if that works. You could also check to see if the metal contacts are lined up correctly and/or try to clean them.

andrewset

I can do that, but how do I clean the contacts? What should I use? I also ordered a replacement analog off ebay for only $6 total, in case that ends up being the problem. Thanks.

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
Check the spring inside the analog stick. It might be positioned improperly or just broken.

andrewset

I wouldn't have tried to replace my faceplate in the first place if I knew about the analog problem.. I tried cleaning it as you said, but still it won't work. I even bought and tried a new replacement analog stick. It still only works on Left. It's like I have to buy a new PSP...

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
It's probly the touch sensor paddy thing on the psp itself.(either mispositioned or screwed up).

Raymond_N

Not all faceplate's are manufactured correctly, I bought two of the exact same faceplate's and one fit perfectly while the other left a gap at the top. Before you go buying a new PSP consider buying a new faceplate. I bought mine from http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/2,206.htm, I bought the Skull Gold. The faceplate you bought might have a defect in the manufacturing.