• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Which file system is better?

dennis96411

Hey, I was just wondering which file system would be best for my memory stick, FAT or FAT32? I'm using FAT32, because it kind of make the files smaller. Like, in FAT system, a 4 KB file is recognized as a 12 KB file, it kind of increases the original file size. I formatted to FAT32 and a 4 KB file is recognized as 4 KB file. I was happy because it made the files smaller. But really, which is better? Can you give me the speed rate, file size %, and some other things?

B2K24

I really don't think it makes a difference if you buy good quality flash memory from reputable stores or E-tailers.

You can benchmark it with "blackSPEED v2.0" and see what filesystem gives your stick the best performance.

If you have a USB card reader and are using vista, you can see a display of MB per sec is being written to your stick under the more options display.

Manny2260

Hey Dennis! looks like i can help you this time! I was previously using FAT32 as it was the native format for my 4GB MS after trying to play my FF7CC i realized that it lagged alot so i searched through multiple topics.I found that the solution was to format to FAT. After doing so all my games have run smoothly. It seems only the big ISOs such as Chains Of Olympus and Crisis Core are the ones that have the lag problem.

dennis96411

But doesn't FAT32 kept the files a little smaller?

Manny2260

Yes,it keeps the files smaller but the total is not much I personally would prefer compatibility over 10-15MB of dead space (those numbers where a bit high on my psp 4GB stick i ahve 7MB of dead space)

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
It doesn't matter if you use one of those Sandisk Ultra/Extreme Memory Sticks. They're fast enough to load FMVs in FF7CC w/o lag at all(even when CPU's underclocked to 60mhz). So, what really matters is the quality of the Memory Stick. As for using FAT format on a 4GB stick there's no harm to it, but if you use one on a 8GB stick you'd find yourself unable to use half of the 4GB.