• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Migrating to new Memory Stick -- Won't boot?

AznAstronaut

Newb here, but I did do plenty of searching on the forum and google, but still can't figure out quite why I have a problem.

I got a PSP (slim) a week ago and used an old 1GB memory stick I had lying around while I was waiting on an 8 GB to ship from amazon.com. I installed CFW via TotalNewbiEasyInstaller which gave me 3.71 M33, and from there I got myself up to 4.01 M33-2. I also installed Time Machine (in case that matters) and some emulators.

The 8 GB arrived today. I checked to make sure it was not fake (Magic Gate supported when I check the mem card info in the XMB), I formatted it using my PSP, and then I copied over my old files from the old memory stick, making sure I had all the hidden files, system files, etc. shown when I copied them over. Now, however, I can't boot from the new 8 GB stick, I can only boot when I have my old 1 GB stick in the PSP. Several forum posts I found on random forums via Google (not on Exophase) said it was a simple matter of copying over the old files onto the new stick, however the CFWs involved were 3.xx, not 4.01 (if that matters). All the other "new memory stick" type forum posts I found were solved simply, such as the individual didn't format their stick before they tried to get it working.

Do I need to do anything special with my 8 GB to get it to work, like starting from scratch (installing 3.71 and going from there), or is there something I'm missing when I'm copying files over? Are there such things as "fake" memory sticks that pass the Magic Gate enabled test in the XMB? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

dennis96411

You need to use mspformat.exe to format your Memory Stick first: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C29L4NUB

WARNING: THIS WILL FORMAT YOUR MEMORY STICK, SO I SUGGEST YOU BACK UP EVERYTHING TO YOUR COMPUTER FIRST.

Just put it in C:\ , run command prompt, type "cd C:\" , press enter, then type "mspformat *The drive of your PSP*" without the * and press enter, then type "y" and press enter. That should do it.

AznAstronaut

Thanks for the replies guys.

@ Dennis: I tried making it a magic memory stick using TNEI, and I believe mspformat is included in that. I tried it again anyway using the link you gave to no avail.

@ silver_surfer: As I said, I just got the PSP a week ago and everything I've done to it has been through judicious use of helpful guides and youtube videos. The IPL is the Initial Program Loader, correct? I'm not sure how to setup what you have suggested. The only battery I have is the one that came with the PSP slim, whereby I scratched off a gold trace on the circuit board to turn it into a Pandora's battery.

In theory my PSP is already running CFW so I don't necessarily need a magic memory stick, correct? I do need to use Time Machine to boot into 1.50 to use some emulators, so if that requires a magic memory stick... If you could fill in the blanks for what sort of procedure I need to do that would be great. I'm assuming what I need to do has been documented for some other related procedure, but I'm at a loss to figure out what applies to my situation.

Again, thanks in advance for any help. :)

AznAstronaut

I guess I can always get my PSP back to official firmware, wipe the whole thing and start over from scratch, but thinking of reliving all of the bad memories from that afternoon last week it took me to get everything switched over to cfw is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I would, of course, rather just fix whatever needs to be done with the memory card so I don't have to do the cfw waltz all over again. :)

dennis96411

No avail? It worked fine for me!

january39

eXo Staff
You need to re-installl the TM-IPL, simply copying the files over will not acheive what you want.

Put the UPT installer onto your memory card and install the TM-IPL (IPL=Intial Program Loader, correct) Try it then.

Hit the link in my sig for UPT.

The TM in simple terms loads other FW to your PSP via the Memory card as opposed to the PSP internal NAND. Most Homebrew can run on the 3.XX kernel anyways so for me, at least the TM is best used by Dev's.

The TM-IPL though is inspired, it enables the Slim battery to remain in Pandora and be used like normal. Amongst other things.

AznAstronaut

Thanks january39, UPT worked absolutely perfectly. I wish I had used that the first time around, it's a lot more user friendly. Thanks for your help. :)

january39

eXo Staff
Glad it helped. :)