• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 5.00 M33-4

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
i was wondering do i have to buy another battery for the psp to work or can i stil use the pandora battery?

You can still use it after converting to Pandora, as long as you have the magic memory stick inserted. Otherwise you can run Hellcat's installer again to convert it back to a normal battery.

will900

just everytime i put the batery back in the psp, all that happens is the green light comes up, it dnt turn on at all.

tiger86

awaiting your words of wisdom
Hi there, just a few quick questions:

1) I have already created a mms with the totalnewbi easy installer. If a use Hellcats program to create a jigstick will the two work together or will i need to redo the mms as per this guide?

2) I intend to use a CFW slim psp to make my phat battery into a jigstick. Am I right in understanding that it is possible to juse a phat battery in a slim psp for this purpose?

3) I note that it is possible to restore a battery with Hellcats program but if a battery is a jigstick it will boot in service mode not to the XMB so how do you access the program to restore the battery? Boot using the AC adapter and then once at the XMB insert the battery? Would that work?

Thanks a lot for your time guys

Simulacrum

Great step by step procedure. Currently 2 of my slims have been upgraded from 3.9 to this new 4.01. I dont notice any difference but im sure ill see it later on. I will later mode my red slim after a few weeks of test driving the current 4.01.

Will be waiting for the 4.05. Thanks alot Exo

pspJakarta

I try to downgrade my PSP slim.

How long does it take for the psp to boot up after putting in the Pandora battery ?
The power light is green as soon as I put the battery but nothing happen afterward, holding the up arrow same result.

Try on my PSP slim with 3.95 firmware same results.
Try on my PSP phat with v.352 M33-4 same results.

I created the pandora battery as instructed using PSP phat running v3.52 M33-4 with Sony PSP 1800mAh Battery Pack.

Try creating the magic memory on different memory card same result.

Thank you

tiger86

1) I have already created a mms with the totalnewbi easy installer. If a use Hellcats program to create a jigstick will the two work together or will i need to redo the mms as per this guide?

2) I intend to use a CFW slim psp to make my phat battery into a jigstick. Am I right in understanding that it is possible to juse a phat battery in a slim psp for this purpose?

3) I note that it is possible to restore a battery with Hellcats program but if a battery is a jigstick it will boot in service mode not to the XMB so how do you access the program to restore the battery? Boot using the AC adapter and then once at the XMB insert the battery? Would that work?

x3sphere, if you've got a minute could you confirm these thoughts for me please. Especially the last one. Have everything ready but just want to make sure before I start the process.

Thanks again

tavrez

1) you don't need to create magic ms again.
2) only slim psp with TA-085 v1 motherboard can create pandora battery, if you have this type of psp slim, you don't have problem
3) yes, it's work, read this post, if you installed timemachine on your ms you can boot to XMB, just don't keep any button when inserting pandora battery

tiger86

1) you don't need to create magic ms again.
2) only slim psp with TA-085 v1 motherboard can create pandora battery, if you have this type of psp slim, you don't have problem
3) yes, it's work, read this post, if you installed timemachine on your ms you can boot to XMB, just don't keep any button when inserting pandora battery

I am not sure what motherboard the psp slim has but I know it has 3.90 m33-3 installed on it. Is there any way to find out what motherboard it has short of opening the whole thing up? I suppose I can only try to convert the battery and see if it works.

I saw the post about installing another program to restore the battery but I was wondering how it could be done with Hellcats if a pandora battery only boots to service mode. I did not know that with timemachine you can boot to the XMB. If that is the case, then i understand how Hellcats program can be accessed, but then its not really necessary to restore a pandora/jigstick battery is it??

tavrez

I am not sure what motherboard the psp slim has but I know it has 3.90 m33-3 installed on it. Is there any way to find out what motherboard it has short of opening the whole thing up? I suppose I can only try to convert the battery and see if it works.

I saw the post about installing another program to restore the battery but I was wondering how it could be done with Hellcats if a pandora battery only boots to service mode. I did not know that with timemachine you can boot to the XMB. If that is the case, then i understand how Hellcats program can be accessed, but then its not really necessary to restore a pandora/jigstick battery is it??

if your motherboard is ta-085 v2 or higher, you get a warning message when you enter hellcat pandora installer program. as you said, you can test this by trying to convert battery.

if timemachine installed on magic ms, by the way x3sphere said. you can boot to XMB with pandora battery, just dont keep any button when you insert the battery(in slim psp, must have CFW 3.8 M33 or higher to do this).
it's not requied to return battery to normal, but it's good, because you may insert another ms into your psp or something else...

Bou

So if I convert my memstick into a magimemstick can i turn it back into a regular stick or does it matter? I am mainly asking so that way i know i can still run my CXMB and isos and apps. P.S. Srry for the noob question, I dont usually go pandora

will900

just everytime i put the batery back in the psp, all that happens is the green light comes up, it dnt turn on at all.

tavrez

Is there a way to find out if converting a battery work or not ? I follow the instruction but stuck at the booting up using pandora battery. The power light is on when I put the battery in but it didn't load anything from the memory stick.

Thank you

if you insert a pandora battery into a psp, it automatically turn on.

PaulPhoenix

I r likes teh kittiezzz!!!! ^w^
Introduction
Okay I have this little problem.
The thing is, I just bought a new brand PSP from the stores, and I would like to convert it into Custom FirmWare, so I can run homebrew.
So I know you have to have 2 PSP's to be able to convert a battery and so on, and luckily my friend has one.

Information
~PSP #1 - Friends PSP: PSP Slim (Black) CFW 3.71 m33 (Motherboard: ??, Box Letter: E, FW 1.52)
Battery: Sony PSP 1200 mAh
Memory: Memory Stick - 4GB normal memory stick

~PSP #2 - My PSP: PSP Slim (IceSilver) OFW 3.95 (Motherboard: ??, Box Letter: G, FW 2.01)
Battery: Sony PSP 1200 mAh
Memory: Memory Stick - 8GB normal memory stick

Situation
Earlier this evening we tried to fix CFW on PSP #2 but the battery for PSP #2 that was supposed to be a Pandora Battery did not boot up as explained on this guide.

After several tries of holding up while starting the PSP (as in reinserting the battery), we did not succeed in getting any change on the boot process.

On none of the PSP's it booted up as a pandora battery.

Discussion
I'm a bit surprised it didn't work, after thinking it should work, I'm still surprised though why it doesn't.
I know the battery is not on the list, so my first guess would be that the battery is incompatible for being converted.
However, the Hellcat program said that the battery was converted into a pandora battery, and quoting from Gaspar:
I make Pandora on battery PSP-S110. Run so good.
I thought there shouldn't be any problems really...

My other guess would be that the motherboard of PSP #1 is of T088 v3, and thus will not convert the battery, but that information would be incorrect since the HellCat program would give an error it was said in this thread.

My problem is probably just the same as this guy has:
Hi all

I've been struggling with my new PSP to downgrade the firmware.
I'm currently on 3.95 OFW.
I followed this guide to the T but unfortunately i'm getting the same problem I always get. WHen I get to the stage where I insert my pandora battery and hold the up arrow, nothing happens. The light remains green but no other lights begin to flash and I get NO menus....Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

I can't trust gaspars replies because I have no clue of what he is talking about and I think probably he doesn't either.

x3sphere or anyone else, do you have any solutions???
It says "Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 4.01 M33-2", I have come to the right place haven't I?

Summary
I have a OFW 3.95 PSP Slim, and My friend has a CFW 3.71 m33 PSP Slim, and I want to fix CFW 4.01 m33-2 on My PSP.
I can't get my battery to boot, or even convert to a pandora one.

Help? =3

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Did you try the magic memory stick + Pandora battery on PSP #1 (your friend's PSP). His is definitely not a TA-088 v2 or v3 so it should work.

Your PSP may have a TA-088 v3 motherboard, which Pandora does not work on at all. There is a guide here on how to find out if your PSP is a TA-088 v3 or not:

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=8848

PaulPhoenix

I r likes teh kittiezzz!!!! ^w^
Well, since I googled a bit I found out TA-088 v3 (sorry for my earlier misspelling, I am still a newbie to this) comes with OFW 4.01, but mine's OFW 3.95, so it should be TA-088 v2 or lower, if I'm correct.

How do I know I am successful with making the Magic Memory Stick?
I just followed the guide though, it seems like it installed a bunch of files and folders on the memory stick and all.

Anyways, we tried converting the battery, (the battery, it IS the same battery that followed my PSP when I bought it...), we were given no errors, and it said conversion was complete, so all we did was move the "pandora" battery (supposedly, in this case) and "magic" memory stick to PSP #2 (My own PSP), but we found no change from earlier start up sequences (except that the "magic memory stick" only had 4.5(something) gigabyte when in reality it had around 3 gigabytes more).
maybe the storage capacity of the memory stick is too large. X_X
Blah, I have no idea.

And after that we tried with the "Pandora Battery" and mms on PSP #1, but it was the same, a CFW PSP with a magic memory stick and nothing more, the battery acted just as a normal one.

Personally I think the battery is incompatible, and that it won't convert that battery.
I don't know if it's the battery, or if it's the HellCat Pandora Battery Conversion program that won't do it's job on this particular battery.
Searching around the net I saw someone else had converted with another program, pandora installer 5.2, or whatever...

Battery, or Program?
I don't know, if it's the program, I'll try (try and try.. to be honest I really really want to succeed T_T) finding another program with a similar battery conversion.
If it's the battery... gosh I don't think I want to order a new battery OR a pandora battery, I'll just leave it in to some technicians to hardmod it then...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
If you turn on the PSP with a Pandora battery inserted, but without a memory stick inserted, does it boot up normally? This is a surefire way to know if its a problem with the battery or not. If the PSP boots fine like this, that means the battery wasn't converted properly.

Are you using the battery that came with the PSP or another one? Some online shops sell "fake" batteries that seem to work fine but can't be used as a Pandora battery as the EEPROM on them isn't writable.