• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Is this site LEGIT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jx233

I need an admin or moderator to answer this.
I personally trust this site and know by heart that it has no viruses/spam/adware/malware.

My family is gonna block this site if they dont know if it is legit. (They have a fear of PC viruses,etc.)

So can an ADMIN or MODERATOR tell me if this site is always safe to be at?

So please HELP!!!!!!!
I dont want this site blocked.

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
Of course this site is legit. Why do you think Dark-AleX uploads his work here?
Np, there are no viruses in this site.
Just use a good firewall, there's no need for your parents to block sites.

rabbit

Awesome
99% of viruses come from opening infected emails or downloading stuff. Just reading news or forums won't infect you.

J

jx233

thanks

thanks !!!!!!!!!!

I knew that this site was legit by heart, but my family didn't believe me.
btw, its not my parents who are scared of viruses, its my siblings.

so thanks for answering. :smile:

and who would hack this site? Sony?

and i think this site is BETTER than MaxConsole, but to me, ConsoleSpot is equally as good as Exophase. :w00t:

Chilly Willy

Contributor
As mentioned, 99% of viruses/trojan horses come from those "Naked Britney Screen Saver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" email attachments that you get 500 of everyday. The best way to deal with malware is switch to linux. The next best thing to do is use a good virus checker. Norton's is NOT a good one. The last time I was using Windows with Norton Security, it picked up only two things: jack and squat... and I'm not too sure about jack. For the money they charge, it's not worth using. It's also bloated and intrusive. Don't bother. The one I used to use with Windows, which did an excellent job, was F-Prot.

After that, the next best things to do in Windows is NOT use IE/OE (Internet Explorer/Outlook Express). Both a security nightmares and make it easy for intruders to take control of your PC. Use Firefox or Opera for surfing, and maybe Thunderbird for email.

rabbit

Awesome
Mathieulh runs LAN.ST, so we all know that is safe, and ps2dev.org is the source for homebrew devs (also safe).

Sadly, switching to Linux isn't for everyone, mostly because most games aren't supported. If you don't play games, however, I highly suggest it. A good first distro to use is Ubuntu, as its main goal is to make switching from Windows to Linux as easy as possible.

Acerthief

Mathieulh runs LAN.ST, so we all know that is safe, and ps2dev.org is the source for homebrew devs (also safe).

Sadly, switching to Linux isn't for everyone, mostly because most games aren't supported. If you don't play games, however, I highly suggest it. A good first distro to use is Ubuntu, as its main goal is to make switching from Windows to Linux as easy as possible.

The newest ubuntu can be installed into one single folder inside windows without having to make anynew partition.
If you're really new with linux, you can make a live CD and give it a try. :p

january39

eXo Staff
After that, the next best things to do in Windows is NOT use IE/OE (Internet Explorer/Outlook Express). Both a security nightmares and make it easy for intruders to take control of your PC. Use Firefox or Opera for surfing, and maybe Thunderbird for email.

Phew - I have Firefox after using IE7

Norton's is NOT a good one. The last time I was using Windows with Norton Security, it picked up only two things: jack and squat...

But i do have Norton :crying: Very off topic but any recommendations i could use in it's place?

Thxs

wally

Developer
Your family needs a mac if they are scared about viruses..

That way we can all rest.

january39 either Avast or AVG Free, any others will clog the computer up.

Wally

J

jx233

Linux

I think Linux is pretty cool. :w00t:

But I use Windows and i need Windows for PC games+ Project 64.

Is there a Linux emulator for Windows? i mean an emulator where you can boot Linux from Windows using an EXE file that launches it.

BTW, I only asked if this site was legit, so my family wont block it. I trust this site. :smile:

This is random but does anyone know where to get a complier(for Windows) to make my makefile+ other stuff to create an APP?

rabbit

Awesome
cygwin or MinGW are good. Cygwin will compile Linux code so that it runs on Windows (with the cygwin1.dll present), and MinGW does a pretty good job of compiling Linux code to run from the msys terminal (but not natively in Windows).

Symantec AntiVirus is pretty good. Norton is based off of Symantec, only it sucks more. Trend-Micro PC-Cillin is also a very good antivirus.

J

jx233

cygwin

Yeah, but cygwin is slow at downloading components and installing.

Does it take several hours to install cygwin+programming tools+toolchains+sdk, etc?

rabbit

Awesome
It depends on the server's location relative to yours, your connection speed, and what you install. I personally prefer MinGW and msys for console development, but cygwin works too.

Status
Not open for further replies.