• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Game Boy Turns 20 This Month

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
gameboymonochrome.jpg

Twenty years ago from this month, the 8-bit monochrome Game Boy was born. While not very aesthetically pleasing compared to portable devices of today, the grey brick radically changed public perception of what an on-the-go gaming device could be. For that, it deserves props. With sales eclipsing the 60 million mark, worldwide success of the handheld lead to numerous hardware revisions, including a slimmed-down Game Boy Pocket and the eventual next step, the Game Boy Color.

Feeling old yet?

Thanks, 1UP.

J

jx233

Wow. I wasn't even conscious that GameBoy is turning 20.

An neighbor of mine has / had the original GameBoy. It was "the brick".

Also, the Gameboy is one tough machine. I heard a story from someone about a guy in the Persian Gulf War who had a Gameboy pocket with him; when an explosion happened in battle, the Gameboy actually remained intact mostly after it. I don't know if that is confirmed fact though, just wanted to say something about the good old GameBoy.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Heh, I can believe it. The original Game Boy could take quite a beating. I had a friend who stupidly put his in the washer once and it survived.

J

jx233

Most of Nintendo's consoles are tough. I had a friend whose Gamecube was electricuted by lightning and it survived. His Xbox got fried though. :sad:

Alex

<p>yh but all old consoles were/are hard wearing, if i go and drop my ps3 im pretty sure it will break.</p>
<p>but on the other hand if i was to drop my psp it will survive, it kinda makes sense portable devices have to be hard wearing, i cant say that for the ds.</p>

january39

eXo Staff
I painted mine fluro pink with black stripes *well, i thought it was cool........at the time*:blushing:

Alex

im too young to have one of these, however i did the gbc on the release yh of christmas, i got the pokemon one, lol, i used to love tthat show.

J

jx233

I used to watch Digimon when I was a kid, that was one good show. Too bad it lasted only 3 seasons.

lastoneleft_00

<p>I can't believe its been out for that long, i've still got mine although the screen has lines that go through it so you cant relaly play games on it anymore, but i can still say that it works. I remember playing zelda on it all of the time. Those were the days</p>

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
<p>I still have mine and it has no dead pixels and it fully works. My first game was pokemon yellow....and then Red....and then all of the other ones lol (I had all versions except the ones for NDS).
Actually I'm turning it on right now, the sound is still perfect too! :D</p>

Eloris

<p>I still have my game boy pocket (the silver one ^^)
It is still fully functionnal :D</p>
<p>"un truc de malade cette console !"</p>

MenaceInc

Staff Member
First portable I played was a yellow GB with Donkey Kong Land
My first GB was a yellow GBpocket with Super Mario Land 1 & 2 and Pok

J

jx233

MenaceInc said:
First portable I played was a yellow GB with Donkey Kong Land
My first GB was a yellow GBpocket with Super Mario Land 1 & 2 and Pok

angelsniper45

Wow. I still remember going berserk over pokemon when it came out, i played that for 2 or 3 days straight.

@jx- digimon ruled!! To bad pokemon ruined its reputation and killed the series.

Who remembers the good old days when multiplayer was hooking up two gameboys and using that? Man i miss those days.

J

jx233

angelsniper45 said:
@jx- digimon ruled!! To bad pokemon ruined its reputation and killed the series.

I didn't know Pokemon ruined Digimon. Huh. Well, now I know why the show just disappeared. Thank you. :smile: