• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Galaxy Cluster internal collisions

XsavioR

yes its real.

skyimage_2071_0

angelsniper45

I hate conspiricist. Thats proof that we arent alone. If its just us, doesnt that seem like an awful waste of space?

XsavioR

speaking purely numbers, , lets say theres 10 trillion variables that lead to earth like planet production.

Each star has we will say,, 6 planets

each galaxy (of which we are part of the milky way) has utter shit loads of stars. Were talking numbers I dont even know the name of.

As the picture above shows you... There are indeed utter shit loads of galaxies. Each tiny point of light above is actually a number of stars that simply boggles the mind.

its only a simple matter of rolling the dice , 10 trillion times.

It would be easier for me to believe in Ghost, then not assume other life is out there. Its simple math. well not simple, but you know what i mean.

A better stand for us not ever coming face to face with them is understanding , the distances involved. Each point of light in the picture , represents a GALAXY of billions of stars. of which 6 billion of us , fit on one planet. the distances involved, are just enormous . Its more logical to think the entire universe could cool, and present the "big crunch" or alternate scenario to end the universe before we could possibly travel to one of those points of light.

Its nearly statisticaly impossible were alone. Its also nearly statistically impossible we will ever find a way to travel the distances required in the time we have before the universe cools to absolute zero.

One thing that worries me over searching these stars for life, is the fact the Light it self that we see, it is some ridiculas number like 25 billion years old. We can litterally look back in time , and watch stars that in our seance of time have already long burned out, yet we can watch them be born.

Think the old atari game frogger, times a googleplex for difficulty, (basically saying it is infinately difficult) Making travel plans off of the light we see is even more difficult. As the star will be reduced to ruins by the time we could possibly get there. Yes one day seti might pick up the first streams of radio from our nearest neiborhs. But it is also fair to say those beings who made the signal, will already be fossils when we get first sign of them.

With a very tiny bit of immagination, one can dream that the key to finding life isnt by looking for planets. As those planets will be fossils when we get there. Instead it could be compared to neandertoll man plotting a course to dubais coast to see one of the Palm islands , which wouldnt be built for mind boggeling numbers of generations.

Indeed the only way we will ever find any thing but burnt out remnants out there is by understanding what is known as the big bang. Well technically knowing from the big bang till now.... which will rely on computers we can only dream of , because our pittly little brains just cant hold enough information at one time to extrapolate point C , from point A and B. When point A is one trillionth of a second after the big bang, and point B is the now, and point C is the logical progression of the two over the time it would take us to get there.

Yeah ive had way way way way too much time to sit and ponder this.

Alex

yes, space does this to me too, but everytime i come back to this thread, you keep adding more to the above post :p

angelsniper45

I liked the frogger reference :D
and yes what you said is 100% true. I say radiotelescopes are our best option for ever finding actual life, as im sure the little green men have probably used radio signals in the past.our only real problem is all the skeptics out there. Including the ones in our government. If we could get these facts through their heads, im positive that we could at least find some proof of their exsisrence within the next 10-20 years. And possibly visit them within the 100s of years.

Alex

now thats beautiful, the colurs you see are either gases, rich in nitrogen and/or other gases and debris.

I think we can link this to the big bang because, red means its moving away and blue means its moving closer or something along those lines.

But what we are looking at is infact the past. as X said, when we see a birth of a star, its by far long dead because it takes millions of years for the light to reach us....

btw, it looks like a burning pheonix

XsavioR

Just to clarify,

Pretty sure the pics are actually black and white, shades of grey if you will, theyre actually made by spectroscopy , the brilliant colors are infact an artist remdition, I could be wrong on this one but its held true to almost every picture ive seen,.

Alex

yes indeed the actual images are black and white, but, to my knowledge, the hubble can take pictures of gases aswell, defined as colours ect. what you see above may be a true image, but the colours represent a gas, not a colour....

see im english, i write colour, you write color...

XsavioR

Probably a good time to post a source... (theyre pumping images out faster then I can post em)

http://twitter.com/SkyImageLab

Twitter is indeed one of the most useful things that when you first hear if it you ask your self "what is this guy (whos telling you of it ) smoking?"

ps you are also able to buy prints at their host site.

Alex

haha, why would you buy prints? unless theyre copyrighted. lol