• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

SCE Updater -> 99% -> FFFFFFFE Error

Select

Hi guys,

Im not new to the PSP scene and I knowe alot about the PSP and Pandora but this problem makes me crazy!

I have a PSP of a friend with:
2 bad blocks (bad block: 995 bad block: 1649) (what realy doesnt mather)
broken UMD drive
Keycleaner says that IDstorage keys are fine

But everytime I update to a CFW that uses the SCE update it hangs at 99%, give the error FFFFFFFE and says I need to contact customer service! And, of course, the PSP bricked! This happens on the update to 3.71M33, 3.80M33, 3.90M33 and 4.01M33!

All my flash partitions are okay. I already formatted them once and I used the lflash check that cory1492 made.

Here is the log from the lflash check:
Code:
Lflash check log started OK

Caching LBA up to 1984 blocks...
bad block: 995
bad block: 1649
done caching!

checking for all LBAs from 0 to 1920

-- 1920 of 1920 LBAs found --

Attempting to verify partition records

**Master Boot Record**

Entry 0 info:
  status         : 0x00 (non-bootable)
  type           : 0x05 (DOS 3.3+ Extended)
  lba first block: 2
  length sectors : 61312
  length bytes   : 31391744 b (29 MiB)

Entry 1 *empty*

Entry 2 *empty*

Entry 3 *empty*

--*Partition 0*--
Looking for extended partition chain at LBA 2

Entry 0 info:
  type           : 0x01 (DOS FAT12)
  lba first block: 1
  length sectors : 49120
  length bytes   : 25149440 b (23 MiB)

Entry 1 info:
  lba first block: 1536
  length sectors : 8192
  length bytes   : 4194304 b (4 MiB)

Entry 2 *empty*

Entry 3 *empty*

--*Partition 1*--
Looking for extended partition chain at LBA 1538

Entry 0 info:
  length sectors : 8160
  length bytes   : 4177920 b (3 MiB)

Entry 1 info:
  lba first block: 1792
  length sectors : 2048
  length bytes   : 1048576 b (1 MiB)

Entry 2 *empty*

Entry 3 *empty*

--*Partition 2*--
Looking for extended partition chain at LBA 1794

Entry 0 info:
  length sectors : 2016
  length bytes   : 1032192 b (0 MiB)

Entry 1 info:
  lba first block: 1856
  length sectors : 1920
  length bytes   : 983040 b (0 MiB)

Entry 2 *empty*

Entry 3 *empty*

--*Partition 3*--
Looking for extended partition chain at LBA 1858

Entry 0 info:
  length sectors : 1888
  length bytes   : 966656 b (0 MiB)

Entry 1 *empty*

Entry 2 *empty*

Entry 3 *empty*

partition records seem OK

Im now on 3.90M33 via Despertar Cementerio v5.

Does anyone has information/solution to this problem?

And yes I formatted my flash1. It was not helping.

My theory is that the SCE updater looks at the UMD drive and checks if it works. Because at 85% my UMD drive starts making noise. And someone else said he had the same problem with also a broken UMD drive.

I hope you understand my crappy english ;)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Going by a couple reports on the web the FFFFFFFE error appears to be related to a corrupt flash1. Have you tried formatting flash1 via the built-in recovery menu, restore default settings, then run the 4.01 M33 update?

imapyro

yes could somebody please help. i have the exact same problem. ever since the updates were changed to the official updater i could never update. my umd drive is also broken so that could have something to do with it...

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
I have a obsolete suggestion for you to try. Use the connect to flash via usb thing. Get the flash1 accessible w/ your PC and use Windows' format program to format it and then try to install the FW again. (it cleans off everything, but since it's flash1 it's still recoverable).

Select

I formated flash1 via holding Square Triangle Select Start on start up. (its the Sony way of formating flash1) and is has no result.

Are there some sore of IDstorage keys in the UMD drive that the PSP can check? The PSP can't check if the UMD drive physicaly is broken?

imapyro

i just wish that dax goes back to installing the updates with his own installer... those always worked....

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I formated flash1 via holding Square Triangle Select Start on start up. (its the Sony way of formating flash1) and is has no result.

Are there some sore of IDstorage keys in the UMD drive that the PSP can check? The PSP can't check if the UMD drive physicaly is broken?

I don't think it has anything to do with the UMD. Try this.. enter Recovery Mode -> Advanced and toggle USB (flash1). From there backup all folders (just in case) and then delete everything. Reboot the PSP and let it recreate the flash1 when the blue screen error comes up.

See if updating works now. Also some people have received this error on official firmware, even with a working UMD drive.

imapyro

I don't think it has anything to do with the UMD. Try this.. enter Recovery Mode -> Advanced and toggle USB (flash1). From there backup all folders (just in case) and then delete everything. Reboot the PSP and let it recreate the flash1 when the blue screen error comes up.

See if updating works now. Also some people have received this error on official firmware, even with a working UMD drive.

i did this already and i still got the ffffffffe error. but i didnt notice the umd drive making any noise so maybe its not that.

Chaddles

Hey every body, long time listener, first time caller... am getting the same fault upgrading from 3.90-3 to 4.01 on Phat PSP, upgrader works fine on my girlfriends slim and lite. UMD drive is faulty on Phat PSP (ie the one that fails at 92% with (FFFFFFFE) error.

Colidez

Hey guys,

I don't want to be an ass for reviving this thread or anything, but has anyone found a solution for this problem yet? It obviously does have something to do with the umd drive not working, as mine doesnt work either (I don't know if the actual umd drive is broken or maybe the motherboard or something else that controls/checks the umd drive is not functioning right).
The only updates I seem to be able to finish are those that don't use the sony updater. Currently I am using 5.00 m33-6, as all the GEN versions use the sony updater.. That's not really that big of a deal at the moment, but I don't want to get in trouble when there are new cfw's released to play the newest games, and they all use the damn sony updater. :glare:

Regards,

Colidez

Alex

you can get a mod of DC8 to install 5.50GEN, but other then that you can only use them to install 5.00m33

Colidez

Any idea on where I can find such a mod? I'm not rlly good in this kind of stuff so trying to make one myself would be a total fail :)

Colidez

Omg dude thanks a lot! I finally got 5.50 GEN-B working using DC XGEN UPDATER or something, and now all the new games work ! Can't thank you enough :)) :laugh:

nocomocaca

for anyone that reads this post again like me. the update said error fffffffe but i sill got my update done so keep trying