• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

CSO format reliability

solarnoise

What is the general consensus on the CSO format?

For my backups I always rip to ISO then convert them, and don't seem to ever have problems. If the compressed image doesn't save me a lot of space, I will usually convert it back to ISO.

I haven't done this in a while though, do any of the games that came out this year have issues playing as CSO?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
All my games that I've backed up I've converted to cso and had no issues with including Dissidia. Haven't bought any new games in a while for the PSP though, Dissidia was the last I did.

solarnoise

All my games that I've backed up I've converted to cso and had no issues with including Dissidia. Haven't bought any new games in a while for the PSP though, Dissidia was the last I did.

Thanks menace... glad to hear Dissidia works, I've been meaning to pick that one up!

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Thanks menace... glad to hear Dissidia works, I've been meaning to pick that one up!

Just a word of warning, if you live in the UK or any PAL region, import the US version since the PAL versions require 5.50. Not a problem I guess for those on GEN but I'm sticking to M33 :p

Simon19

CSO's are a right pain when it comes to ANY of the GTA games, they become laggy as hell on the compression level 9 and reder them virtualy unplayable in my opinion, plus youre only shaving off about 200 megs

angelsniper45

really? i never noticed any difference. Maybe a little lag here and there but, in general i back all my games up in CSO format.

Try using 6-8 for compression.

january39

eXo Staff
He is right actually, i have noticed lag when using GTA in a CSO, there are occasions when the CSO is barely any smaller than the ISO on lots of back ups.

I always leave them as ISO.