• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Rumor: Logitech Devising External UMD Drive for PSPgo

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
logitech1.jpg

Update: Consider this rumor squashed -- at least officially. A representative from Logitech has denied the report, saying that "this is not something that our company is working on."

An inside source has told UK news site CVG that Logitech is working on an external UMD drive for the PSPgo, presumably allowing owners to playback of their games on the format. There's word on hwo the attachment will work exactly, but CVG surmises that it could plug into left memory stick slot, much like Datel's unofficial hard drive add-on for original PSP units did.

Sounds a little far-fetched to us, unless Sony plans on officially endorsing this peripheral. Logitech will need licensing on this item if it ever plans to see the light of day. Besides, with the push towards digital distribution on the go, it seems silly for Sony to backpedal like this. On the other hand, having more options is good for the consumer. However, we don't see it happening. A revised PSP adopting the same sliding design as the go but with a built-in UMD slot sounds more likely. PSP-4000, anyone?

B2K24

<p>This is complete stupidity.</p>
<p>What Sony needs to do is come up with a design similar to this that takes a UMD and puts an iso or Eboot.pbp on the flash of the psp go.
This new device could have a unique serial or ID number (perhaps even require registration via the PSN or mail in to Sony) Then each psp go could only link to 1 of these units which could be programed from firmware etc. to stop freeloading or piracy.</p>
<p>No doubt Sony could come up with some sort of similar design that would allow legit users to play UMD from go flash, but not allowed to be transferred to more than 1 unit. Weather this design deals with encryption, decryption, unique serials, I feel it could be done if sony put forth the resources into such a project.</p>
<p>I mean how exactly do they stop ps3 users from trading hard drives to multiple units so paid content can't be spread for free?
I have yet to buy a ps3 but i want to really soon.</p>

angelsniper45

<p>this isnt sony. its logitech, and their just making a peripheral. i dont see whats wrong with that. you get the best of both worlds</p>