• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP 2000 woes

Blah1349

Hey guys, I need your help

So, my psp slim, which was running 5.00 m33 cfw recently started giving me some quirky problems. ISO/roms started giving in game glitches, such as the menu bar scrolling while on pause and characters moving while the directional pad and buttons werent being pressed. So I upgraded to the 5.50 d4, and now, when I turn on my psp, the UMD gets automatically loaded, and the psp menu isnt even being shown.

So yeah, I'm kinda lost on this. Thanks in advance

Alex

de=activate umd auto start in system settings :)

Blah1349

de=activate umd auto start in system settings :)

Ah, thanks man, that helped with the auto loading, but I'm still getting the same in game errors from ISOs. This is after updating firmware, formatting my memory stick, and re installing games. I have no idea what kind of problem this is (it feels like an anti-piracy tactic though)

Blah1349

Well unfortunately there is no code, the errors are all game play based. All isos, including roms for megadrive/game gear display the same problems of fast menu scrolling. For example, smackdown vs raw 09, a game that worked fine for months, now has characters repeating the same move over and over, and when I pause the game, the menu bar just scrolls fast repeatedly. kinda irritating =/

Alex

theres a few things you can try to do fix it:
1) reflash the cfw
2) redump the umd
3) changing drivers from m33 to sony or oe (press select at the xmb)

aprentus

one more thing to try

Have you tried on a physically different memory stick, and are you using the m33noumd, or umd required, or sony to play your games?

and finally one more really stupid suggestion, switch usb cables/ports. I had a bad cord once that messed up everything that was transferred, also check windows event viewer for write errors when transferring your files.

the problem may not be your psp, but rather something in between

Ray

I think you could be having having a hardware issue, i have seen several PSP's doing that already and the joysticks were bad or 1 of the keys, so try checking your hardware.

Blah1349

theres a few things you can try to do fix it:
1) reflash the cfw
2) redump the umd
3) changing drivers from m33 to sony or oe (press select at the xmb)

Okay, so using the pandora battery again might just be the trick eh? I'll try it once I get ahold of another one, but also if I change the drivers, is there any chance that the OFW will update itself and Ill be stuck with an unhackable psp? yeah, noobish questions, I know >_>

Ray said:
I think you could be having having a hardware issue, i have seen several PSP's doing that already and the joysticks were bad or 1 of the keys, so try checking your hardware.

Well, the problems are only on isos and roms. I kinda doubt its a hardware problem cause Ive tested it UMDs and they play fine.

aprentus said:
Have you tried on a physically different memory stick, and are you using the m33noumd, or umd required, or sony to play your games?

and finally one more really stupid suggestion, switch usb cables/ports. I had a bad cord once that messed up everything that was transferred, also check windows event viewer for write errors when transferring your files.

the problem may not be your psp, but rather something in between
yeah I have 2 mem sticks, both had the same settings and folders, and both messed up =/

Alex

Okay, so using the pandora battery again might just be the trick eh? I'll try it once I get ahold of another one, but also if I change the drivers, is there any chance that the OFW will update itself and Ill be stuck with an unhackable psp? yeah, noobish questions, I know >_>

Well, the problems are only on isos and roms. I kinda doubt its a hardware problem cause Ive tested it UMDs and they play fine.

yeah I have 2 mem sticks, both had the same settings and folders, and both messed up =/

nah, you''ll be fine, as along you have a working pandora and magic memory stick

Blah1349

Check your plugins maybe you have a not working pluging, and try installing a fresh m33 like alex_e said, you can do that without the pandora if you still running 5.50 GEN with Hellcat recovery flasher, here is the link if you need it http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=8383

okay, I tried a fresh install using the recovery software and the problems still persist. Its actually quite particular, when running ISOs or roms, I can navigate and browse just fine til actual gameplay, and once that is reached, the game is stuck in a loop, as if I was pressing the down key on the directional pad. I've googled and asked and I'm very surprised that this problem isn't more widespread. Like I said, I kinda doubt its a hardware problem because everything on my psps but actual gameplay is fine

Alex

okay, I tried a fresh install using the recovery software and the problems still persist. Its actually quite particular, when running ISOs or roms, I can navigate and browse just fine til actual gameplay, and once that is reached, the game is stuck in a loop, as if I was pressing the down key on the directional pad. I've googled and asked and I'm very surprised that this problem isn't more widespread. Like I said, I kinda doubt its a hardware problem because everything on my psps but actual gameplay is fine

im sorry im out of ideas. you could try running recovery flasher from the recovery menu?

Blah1349

im sorry im out of ideas. you could try running recovery flasher from the recovery menu?

Did that, but thanks alot for your help man, much appreciated =). I'm just gonna have to hunt down a battery, and hopefully it'll solve this problem.

Okay, huge fucking update. This might be a hardware problem. The fucking nub became detached from its neutral position and now moves without retracting back to the center position, and I'm also thinking the dpad is a problem, so before I crack this open to either adjust/tighten some screws and stuff, is it really as simple as unscrewing > adjusting > screwing? Ive never cracked open anything other than a dreamcast controller and Im wondering if anyone has any tips or something. Umm..yeah...thanks in advance.

Did that, but thanks alot for your help man, much appreciated =). I'm just gonna have to hunt down a battery, and hopefully it'll solve this problem.

Okay, huge fucking update. This might be a hardware problem. The fucking nub became detached from its neutral position and now moves without retracting back to the center position, and I'm also thinking the dpad is a problem, so before I crack this open to either adjust/tighten some screws and stuff, is it really as simple as unscrewing > adjusting > screwing? Ive never cracked open anything other than a dreamcast controller and Im wondering if anyone has any tips or something. Umm..yeah...thanks in advance.

okay, final update

I fixed it.
It was a hardware problem, I just unscrewed the back area to remove the face plate and cleaned and adjusted the dpad and the d-nub.
Thanks to all who helped, it was much appreciated guys =)