• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

M for Mature Folding at Home Team

Hardrive

Contributor
[fieldset="Intro"]I just figured we should have a Folding at Home team for our new community so... here it is. The team number is 151519. Stop wasting those CPU cycles and start folding today![/fieldset]

[fieldset="Team Stats"]Official Folding at Home Statistics[/fieldset]

[fieldset="PS3"]
  1. Turn on your PS3, and start "Folding at Home"/"Life with Playstation". You may want to press triangle on it and have it turn on automatically.
  2. It may request an update, let it run its course
  3. Hold Square and scroll to the "Folding at Home" channel
  4. Press Triangle. Select "Current Channel" and then "Identify"
  5. Select "Change Donor Name" and enter something besides PS3 so you can track your stats
  6. Select "Change Team" and enter 151519
  7. Let the folding run its course
[/fieldset]

[fieldset="Single Core PC"]A longer, more detailed guide can be found here.
  1. Download the folding client here
  2. Run the installer
  3. Go to "Start -> Programs -> Folding@Home-x86", and click "Folding@Home". A configuration window will appear
  4. In the User name field, enter a unique user name so that you can track your folding stats
  5. For team number, enter 151519
  6. Click OK
  7. Whenever you want to do folding, just launch Folding at Home from the Start menu. An icon will appear in your tray. You can click on it to find details about the current work unit and find folding stats.
[/fieldset]

[fieldset="Mutli-core PC"]A longer, more detailed guide can be found here.
  1. Make sure your current user login has a password, if not, you must create one. Blank passwords do not work.
  2. If you are running XP, you must have .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed. You can get it here
  3. Create a "FAH" folder in C:\ (without the quotes)
  4. Download the MPICH folding client here
  5. Run the executable you just downloaded. Make sure to change the destination directory to C:\FAH\
  6. Once the installation has completed, launch a command prompt (Press the Windows Key + R and enter "cmd" without quotes)
  7. Enter "cd C:\FAH" (without quotes)
  8. Enter "install.bat". Throughout this process, you may get UAC/firewall popups. Just allow them.
  9. For your account name, enter a user that has a password
  10. For the two password fields, enter your password
  11. Type "Folding@home-Win32-x86 -configonly"
  12. Enter the user name you wish to use so you can track your stats. Make sure it isn't generic
  13. Enter our team number, 151519
  14. Leave passkey blank unless you have configured your folding username to have a password
  15. Enter no to "Ask before fetching/sending work" and "Use proxy"
  16. Enter "big" for the work size. You must do this to get work units properly
  17. Enter yes to configure advanced options
  18. Enter the defaults for everything besides "Additional client parameters". For "Additional client parameters", enter "-smp -verbosity 9"
  19. Whenever you want to do folding, go to C:\FAH, and double click Folding@home-Win32-x86. Your CPU usage should go to 100% across all of your CPU cores
[/fieldset]

RoBz

sucker
Does folding take up much RAM/CPU power? I'd imagine it does, I could have my server fold for us, but I don't know if it could handle it...

Hardrive

Contributor
RoBz said:
Does folding take up much RAM/CPU power? I'd imagine it does, I could have my server fold for us, but I don't know if it could handle it...
What's your server do, and what are the specs? I have a print/file server for my house, running on a Pentium 4, and I have it folding. I haven't noticed a slow down at all, folding seems to scale pretty well. Sure, it doesn't contribute a lot of points (I don't think it's finished a work unit yet for out team), but every little bit helps.

RoBz

sucker
Hardrive said:
What's your server do, and what are the specs? I have a print/file server for my house, running on a Pentium 4, and I have it folding. I haven't noticed a slow down at all, folding seems to scale pretty well. Sure, it doesn't contribute a lot of points (I don't think it's finished a work unit yet for out team), but every little bit helps.
It runs irssi, vncserver, an FTP server and wine + utorrent. It's got 1 GB of RAM and I has a 2.66 GHz Celeron processor. It's pretty decent for

Hardrive

Contributor
It's up to you. I wouldn't worry about it though. A 2.66 ghz Celeron is not going to get very many points, and if you're doing anything that needs performance (wine), you might see a slowdown.

twelve

I'm not dead
I hardly bothered folding at all anymore. Can't be bothered to set it up on my PC powerhouse and now that the PS3 has the auto turn off after downloads options I won't need to leave it folding while shit downloads anymore.

Hardrive

Contributor
twelve said:
I hardly bothered folding at all anymore. Can't be bothered to set it up on my PC powerhouse and now that the PS3 has the auto turn off after downloads options I won't need to leave it folding while shit downloads anymore.
Fine Mr. Negative.

Right now, I'm the only one folding, it's kind of pathetic.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
I switched to the team though I'm having connection issues within Folding for some reason; been happening since yesterday.

Hardrive

Contributor
NeilR said:
I switched to the team though I'm having connection issues within Folding for some reason; been happening since yesterday.
Weird. I've had no problems receiving and submitting my work units from either my PC or PS3.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
It's the first time I've ever noticed that this happened. I had competed a work load since updating to 2.50 so I don't think that's has anything to do with it.

Serideth

My FAH thing installed and when I hover my mouse over the icon it says F@H working, but if I double click it or anything nothing comes up. Ages ago I remember it having like a weird diagram thing.

Hardrive

Contributor
Pixel Princess said:
My FAH thing installed and when I hover my mouse over the icon it says F@H working, but if I double click it or anything nothing comes up. Ages ago I remember it having like a weird diagram thing.
IIRC, right click on it and choose "Display" to show the protein. I'm using the console only version, so it doesn't have that.

Bossmanuk said:
I am folding, but it is incredibly slow on my laptop. Currently on 250/5000, I'm guessing 5000 is 1 WU?
Yeah. You can find percentage complete and the current project you're working on in the Application Settings folder (C:/Users/[USERNAME]/AppData/Roaming/Folding@home/unitinfo.txt on Vista). Serideth, you might want to look at this too.

Hardrive

Contributor
I see that one other person has joined the cause. We really need more people if we're ever going to get anywhere...

I know the specs of a lot of peoples' computers, there's no reason not to fold.

jsharrad

There's also a GPU based client that I use which you can get from the special clients downloads F@H page which outperforms all the cpu based clients.. with my GTX 260 core 216 card it takes about 2 hours to complete a 25,000,000 step work unit.

Hardrive

Contributor
jsharrad said:
There's also a GPU based client that I use which you can get from the special clients downloads F@H page which outperforms all the cpu based clients.. with my GTX 260 core 216 card it takes about 2 hours to complete a 25,000,000 step work unit.
Yeah, I'll put a guide up for that this weekend. I tried it out and it quite easily outperforms my CPU, even with the beta SMP client.