• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

One hundred push ups anyone?

Gutya

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

This something I've been meaning to do for a while, I finally started this week. The site can explain it better than I can, so here's the introduction page.

One Hundred Push Ups Introduction said:
If you're serious about increasing your strength, follow this six week training program and you'll soon be on your way to completing 100 consecutive push ups!

Think there's no way you could do this? I think you can! All you need is a good plan, plenty of discipline and about 30 minutes a week to achive this goal!

No doubt some of you can already do 50 consecutive push ups, but let's face it, you're in a big minority. Most of you reading this won't even be able to manage 20 pushups. Actually, I'm sure many of you can't even do 10.

However, it really doesn't matter which group you fall into. If you follow the progressive push ups training program, I'm positive you'll soon be able to do 100 push ups!

Anyone else interested in (or already) doing this?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
My old instructor can do 130 currently - I could most likely do this as well, I've got good upper body strength but I don't have the time nor the discipline to do it on my own

Joey

I can do 10... My feeble upper body, plus my 240 lbs frame make it neigh impossible...

With that said, I'm totally down for this.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Joey said:
I can do 10... My feeble upper body, plus my 240 lbs frame make it neigh impossible...

With that said, I'm totally down for this.

Lol yeah you should go for it, build some muscle :tup:

Joey

Nero said:
Lol yeah you should go for it, build some muscle :tup:
Totally, I've been walking a couple miles, and doing 50 crunches everyday for the last month or so, so I might as well add this to the list.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Joey said:
Totally, I've been walking a couple miles, and doing 50 crunches everyday for the last month or so, so I might as well add this to the list.

Word of advice: if you have layers of fat on top of that stomach, then crunches wont really help achieve anything other than building muscle over that fat which will make it look big and ugly. Try and do some cardio workout like running or swimming to burn that fat, then again that's if you have the time and discipline.

Hope that helps.

Slasher

Suck It
If you want to lose it fast, I recommend running first thing in the morning before you eat anything. I was doing this a few months ago, and it really did work more than when I was running at night. It enhances the loss of weight (fat), but unfortunately also enhances the loss of muscle as well. So you need to be sure to be lifting weights as well if at all possible.

- Cortisol is a hormone and it's primary functions are to increase protein breakdown, inhibit glucose uptake and increase lipolysis (the breakdown of fats). When you first wake up, your cortisol levels in the blood are nearly doubled (5-23 micrograms per deciliter) than what they are during the day (3-13 micrograms per deciliter).
- After waking up from sleeping, you obviously haven't eaten anything for many hours because you were sleeping. So, if your body has no carbohydrates to burn, it starts converting your stored fat and burning that instead.

With these two things in combination, fat loss is maximized.

Also, be sure to eat breakfast afterwards. I'd give it 30 minutes though.

Anyways, back on topic. I used to be able to do it, but at my current stage, probably not. Doing pushup pyramids (10 pushups, 1-2 min break, 9 pushups, break, 8 pushups, etc) is probably the best way to increase your endurance for this. I have a solid body frame, so my arms are bigger to compensate for that, I try and do push ups every night but haven't lately.

I'll give this a try, seems pretty neat

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
I just tried and did 58 consecutively; I'm quite strong, but I'm not fit at all, and easily tired. 58 isn't bad, though. I'll still probbely not bother with this, even though I do have the time, simply because I can't be bothered. Lol.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
I have no idea how many regular pushups I could do. I work out twice a week. I do like a half hour in the gym with my coach and do ladders, sprints, etc. Then another half hour to hour in the weight room. Last week I had to do 3 sets of 10 pushups, but I had to push myself up onto a stack of weights and go back down. That was brutal.

Basketball season is coming up soon, I'll take a look at this as well.

Slasher

Suck It
This test is basically "keep doing push ups, and you'll eventually be able to do 100" lol.

I thought there would be more tips regarding how to work the actual muscles being used while performing a push up.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
Slasher said:
This test is basically "keep doing push ups, and you'll eventually be able to do 100" lol.

I thought there would be more tips regarding how to work the actual muscles being used while performing a push up.

There's not a whole lot to a pushup. Just keep your back straight and go down all the way. Don't cheat yourself.

Slasher

Suck It
Mr. Beefy said:
There's not a whole lot to a pushup. Just keep your back straight and go down all the way. Don't cheat yourself.
I mean, techniques on how to lift weights to target the specific muscles used in a push up. To reinforce the muscles used and therefor increasing the amount of push ups you can endure.

Adiuvo

RoBz said:
Can anyone do a one arm push up while keeping your legs together?
I know I can't.
A few kids at my school can. Most one guy was able to do was four.

Personally, I can't even lift up.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
isn't the proper way to do a one-hand with the legs apart? I've only tried it that way and can do about 7-10

Nimsical

Hi, I'm Nima
Ipaq, you're on shape.
I do 10 push ups everyday to keep my body fit and that's it.
I also do 20 sit ups for my abs to stay symmetrical, but that's off topic.

I think I'm going to look into this, I like the idea.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I use to be able to do at least 20 push-ups in high school, but now I can barely do 10.

I'll definitly try this, I need to get back in shape. I hope I don't forget about it like my dusty wiifit.