• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Powder Toy

Nimsical

Hi, I'm Nima
A nifty tool that simulates a collection of elements such as Water, Fire, Metal and so many others. You are given the ability to play around with these elements and see their reactions and resemblance to real life elements. You might have seen some games with the same concept, specially in Java, but this one’s a lot more realistic!

Download Here

Screenshots:
powder.png

powder-fans.png

powder-bomb.png

Discuss it here.

[fieldset=Pro Tools]
To switch between displaying pressure and displaying air velocity, press 'c' (or on PSP, press SELECT).
To make a line of particle, hold the SHIFT key while clicking and dragging.
To make a box full of particle, hold the CONTROL key while clicking and dragging.
To fill an area with particle, hold both CONTROL and SHIFT while clicking.
Metal, stone, and lava reflect neutrons, while everything else absorbs them.
Items on the lower right (filters, fan, and wall) aren't melted, burned, or transmuted, ever.
To use the awesome new fan, draw something using the fan tool, it's the blue-purple dots on the lower right, to the left of Clear (the rainbow thing). I recommend drawing a circle. Once you've drawn the fan, click it, hold SHIFT, and drag to set its power. It's as easy as that!
[/fieldset]

twelve

I'm not dead
Screenshots?

If it's anything like that Falling Sand flash game then it's a guaranteed time waster.

Adiuvo

There's a screenshot on the article Nimsical linked to.

I haven't tried it out yet but it does look similar to the falling sand game.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
Wow this is a great homebrew game.

going down in my favorites.

explosions

6 PSPs and I can't find one of them. It's pretty sad, really. I know 4 of them are somewhere where I'm not, and I really want to try this. Wow... I haven't been trying to find a PSP this badly in months.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I like it. I think if a blob were included like in falling sand it would be schweet.

Bran

Yell
I love these things. I have a few beefier physics based ones on my computer, but the sand ones are where it's at.

Nimsical

Hi, I'm Nima
If you check out my site, there's a Windows, Mac, Linux, IRIX, and HP-UX version up as well.

powder game

Skylark and I are glad to see people like it :)
If you started experiencing bandwidth problems, let us know. We'll host the other versions for you.

bri3d

If you started experiencing bandwidth problems, let us know. We'll host the other versions for you.

Thanks for the offer - I'll be okay on the game binaries though. The largest is the OSX package (since it has both SDL and the game for both Intel and PowerPC Macs) and even it is only like 400KB.

EvilSeph

Administrator
hey bri3d, nice to see you here.

Are you guys accepting suggestions for this great game of yours?

Keep up the great work. Hope to see more things from you ;)

bri3d

If Skylark has time, really good ideas might make it into the PC version.

It'd take something *amazing* to get me to make a new PSP build - I accidentally lost my source in a disk accident a few weeks ago so I'd have to spend a few hours rewriting it lol.

And thanks Seph, I like what you've got going here :)

Chathurga

The new explosion effects are awesome and, at times, pretty creepy too:

powderug0.png

I doubt they'll make it to the PSP though, right?

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
I tried this out on my PSP yesterday, but it wasn't of much use to me, because my analog stick doesn't work properly. Still, I liked the idea of it though, and I did spend about 20 minutes just messing about with it until I gave up. Good port, but I think I'll opt for the windows version. Thanks! :tup: