• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Classic Computers (1970's/'80s to early '90s)

Hellcat

Contributor
Hey!

Who here is in to classic computers?
Like the C64, Amiga or even more classical (=older) ones?
This goes for gaming consoles as well, like the Atari 2600, Vectrex and what not else :)

I currently have a C64, one C128D and my beloved Amiga 1200 up and running around here.
Extending my collection as money and time (mostly money :D) permits.

Anyone else enjoying theese classics?
Or having them stuffed away somewhere, totally forgetting about their existance?

Chathurga

Hell yeah brother! An Amiga 600 and C64 here, beat everything hands down until I got a PS1 in '96. Still play them from time to time.

What were your favourite games for them?

Edit: Oh yeah my avatar is the C64 logo :D

Hellcat

Contributor
We played Turrican I and II like mad on the Amiga.
Still play them from time to time - the Amiga on a 46" TV is just awsomeness :D

Giana Sisters on the C64, it was.... Summer Games, Winter Games, the "joystick killers" :D

Oh, there have been so many, so great games....

Theese days my Amiga got a network card and is waiting for some tuning to be able to run AmigaOS / WB 3.9 - to surf the webs :)

I am also thinking of getting one of those Sam440 PPC boards, wich can natively run AmigaOS 4.1 :cool:

Chathurga

One of the pride and joys of my childhood was the T2 joystick I had, looking back on it that thing was seriously gangster:

1machterminatorjoysticksh9.jpg

My favourite games were (and some of them still are):

C64
Fantasy World Dizzy
Game critic and independent game designer Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, in his online video reviews for Zero Punctuation said that the console wars were futile because the best game ever, the Commodore 64 version of Fantasy World Dizzy has already been made. As to whether this was intended in an ironic manner, Croshaw himself stated at an ACMI Game On panel on July 10th, 2008 that he was half-serious but noted that nostalgia may have been a factor.
Terminator 2, RoboCop 1 and 3, Ghostbusters

I advise everyone to play Dizzy, Yahtzee got it 100% right. :D
I also had the C64 Metal Gear game... wasn't so good :|

Amiga
There's so many games to list here...
Pirates!, Superfrog, B.C. Kid, Chuck Rock 2, Captain Planet, Cannon Fodder (had one of the best intro songs ever), Sim Earth, Putty, Zool, James Pond 2: Codename RoboCod, Lost Vikings.
I know I'm missing some great games, I just can't remember them all :O

One really odd thing about the Amiga (and probably old games in general) was the blatant product placement. Zool had Chupa Chups all over the pace, RoboCod had penguin bars, Superfrog had Lucozade, Cool Spot (another great game) had 7-up, we just ignored it though. Now product placement is such a big deal, even when it fits into the game and makes perfect sense.

And that's hardcore what you're doing with the hardware, any price estimate on it all? I'd love to do something similar but always have something more pressing to spend money on.

twelve

I'm not dead
The oldest I still have are a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128K+ and an Atari 2600.

Use to love playing Mini Golf and Dizzy on the Spectrum but the main thing I enjoyed on it was coding Basic, just a shame I never stuck with it. I've forgotten everything to do with Basic now :(

And the Atari 2600 I only really remember 2 of the games I own for it, Pacman and Mario :D

Sullivan

I played my dads sega genesis 16-bit for the longest when I was about 4-5, that was around 1996. We actually just donated it to good will with about 30 games and two controllers.

And I always do remember playing my dads games through DOS. But I can't really continue with this because I haven't been around and lived through all what you guys have. I know the times were good though.

Hellcat

Contributor
And that's hardcore what you're doing with the hardware, any price estimate on it all? I'd love to do something similar but always have something more pressing to spend money on.
The Sam440 (a standalone PPC MoBo, BTW, Sam440 Homepage ) comes for around 400 Euros :( Plus the remainder like HDD and RAM and the such, but that's no prob.

I also desperately need at least a 1230 turbo board for my A1200, it needs the RAM to run OS3.9 and the whole board 'cause I wanna run NetBSD Unix on it :D

For the C64 there's a 1541-Ultimate on my wishlist, that's a module that fully emulates a 1541 floppy.... from SD card :D (plus tons of additional features, http://www.1541ultimate.net/ )

My C128D is connected to TWO monitors! Yes, multihead on the old C128 :D One is the normal 40chars screen, one is the 80chars screen - in b/w tho, but working :)

It's amazing how much you can still do with theese old jewels.

I am still thinking of a small demo app for actually using the two monitors at once on the C128. I was impressed how easy and without any trickery that can be done....

twelve

I'm not dead
I just remembered there's a C64 and an IBM PC (5150) at work out in our test lab. One of the guys at work bought them on ebay and had them shipped to work and they never made it back to his house.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I've got a Coleco Vision with a ton of accessories stuffed away somewhere, but that's about it. And I've also got one of these somewhere in storage: (Not really appliacable, but older than most of you people on this forum.)

ColecoPacManSide.jpg

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
I haven't really kept anything but I've gone through many systems since the late 70s. The only thing still kicking around are two Kaypro 10; one of them is still operational (the "10" is for it's huge 10 megabyte hard drive hehe).
kaypro10-sml.jpg

kaypro10closed.jpg

And I've also got one of these somewhere in storage: (Not really appliacable, but older than most of you people on this forum.)
Yeah those tabletops were great. I had the Donkey Kong Jr. and frogger.

Hellcat

Contributor
I've got a Coleco Vision with a ton of accessories stuffed away somewhere, but that's about it. And I've also got one of these somewhere in storage: (Not really appliacable, but older than most of you people on this forum.)

[qimg]http://www.davesvideoarcade.co.uk/tabletop/ColecoPacManSide.jpg[/qimg]
:tup: NICE

NeilR's Kaypro10 is awsome as well! That thing looks like an SX64 (a C64 in a case with internal monitor just like that one) - and the SX64 is definately something on my wishlist! :D

Colm

Does an IBM PS\2 count? My father has got one of those running DOS. We haven't booted it up in years. We used to use it to run Digger, Wolf3D etc.