• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Itunes now DRM Free!

twelve

I'm not dead
Sucks that we have to pay to unlock any songs that weren't DRM free that we've already bought.

Still good to see that they've finally given in.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
hmm. if the zune marketplace did this, I might start buying music again. I agree that charging for the files again is lame.

Seth

MD Party Room
Zune marketplace is drm free music...And a subscription plan..

ChurchedAtheist

Zune marketplace is drm free music...And a subscription plan..

not ALL of it though(unless I missed that)

last i heard it was only a really small part, like 1/10th that was available drm free. I'll have to check again.

Joey

Why do we have to wait for this? Who in their right mind would buy a DRM laden song, knowing it'll be DRM free in 3 months?

ChurchedAtheist

Why do we have to wait for this? Who in their right mind would buy a DRM laden song, knowing it'll be DRM free in 3 months?

most n00bs WON'T know that, and apple gets paid for the song now, AND when you pay the drm free upgrade.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Seriously, what's the point of DRM-free iTunes? Most of the people who buy music off of iTunes use it for their iPod anyways. And those who don't have an iPod will just find a way to crack the DRM.

Adiuvo

Some people don't carry their iPod everywhere, and this lets you have the same songs on your phone for an example, as your iPod. I often forget mine, but I have most of my favorite songs on my phone as a backup.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Some people don't carry their iPod everywhere, and this lets you have the same songs on your phone for an example, as your iPod. I often forget mine, but I have most of my favorite songs on my phone as a backup.

Yeah, and you probably didn't buy any of them off of iTunes...

Adiuvo

You're right, but what does it matter? It was just a situation that happens with me, but I don't use iTunes. If I ever did start using it, then at least the option is there.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
You're right, but what does it matter? It was just a situation that happens with me, but I don't use iTunes. If I ever did start using it, then at least the option is there.

That option is also going to cost you more money. I'd rather go through the one-time hassle of setting up a DRM-cracking application than paying Apple more money for something that I should have the right to in the first place.

I know a number of people who use iTunes to manage their music, even despite the fact they don't have an iPod. By allowing DRM free purchases, they can now very easily manage their music on other devices as well, like an MP3 player by simple drag-and-drop.

It's just allows your purchased music to be as flexible as pirated music.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
Seriously, what's the point of DRM-free iTunes? Most of the people who buy music off of iTunes use it for their iPod anyways. And those who don't have an iPod will just find a way to crack the DRM.

Because if you're buying music, you shouldn't be forced to only listen to it on your iPod, or to have to enter a password whenever you want it on another computer. It's just the principle of it, you bought the song, so you should be able to decide what to do with it.

And what if you switch form an iPod to another portable music player? Most people don't know about DRM cracking and even then, the programs for it are annoying at best.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Because if you're buying music, you shouldn't be forced to only listen to it on your iPod, or to have to enter a password whenever you want it on another computer. It's just the principle of it, you bought the song, so you should be able to decide what to do with it.

And what if you switch form an iPod to another portable music player? Most people don't know about DRM cracking and even then, the programs for it are annoying at best.

Yeah, that can be done by just cracking the DRM.

BTW, this is only with 3 record companies, not all of them.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991

A majority of people who actually buy music on iTunes I can pretty much guarantee do not even know what DRM is, let alone how to crack it.

Seth

MD Party Room

all 10m songs on iTunes will be DRM free by the end of this Q...

Additional Comment:
I also hope this mean they take DRM of there stupid tv shows..And movies..