• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

OSX or Windows?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
OMGZ 1ghz processor to run Windows 7 NO!!!!! 128mb gfx card NO!!!! And the retard doesn't know the difference megabits and megabytes.
the thing that makes me lol the most is that win 7 has the feature to run aero on a 800mhz processor w/o using the gfx card at all.

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
Dont really like OSX, but thats just me. Windows 7 is really good so far!

and if i just could hijack this thread with maybe a stupid question...

i want to try out ubuntu. can i just make an extra partition on my hardrive and have it dualboot together with windows 7 and vista?

Yep. I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu today, due to me messing up my partition table and not being able to load the grub menu, haha. On install, you can make new primary partitions.

I haven't tried Windows 7 yet, but didn't like Vista due to the resource hogging, security alerts, explorer, etc. I plan on downloading Windows 7 tonight and installing it tomorrow, depending on how much studying i get done for exams. I need back Windows pretty much just for itunes and chrome :p

mohaas05

They're actually becoming more alike now. Microsoft is finally getting the message and making Windows 7 more efficient. OSX has had that all along. Even now, you can still run Leopard on an old iBook just fine.

The taskbar is also similar to the dock in looks and usability now, such as how the quick launch icons are integrated with open windows, just like dock icons are.

Overall, the only real difference between these two operating systems now is personal preference.

They're actually becoming more alike now. Microsoft is finally getting the message and making Windows 7 more efficient. OSX has had that all along. Even now, you can still run Leopard on an old iBook just fine.

The taskbar is also similar to the dock in looks and usability now, such as how the quick launch icons are integrated with open windows, just like dock icons are.

Overall, the only real difference between these two operating systems now is personal preference.

Totally agree with your point here. It all comes down to what suits you the best, one isn't better than the other simply put.

Bran

Yell
I love OSX, but I grew up on Macs. I remember when my old computer was a OS7 and I saved my money to upgrade it's ram and upgrade to OS8. And years later when I got a iMac with OS9 that could play Diablo 2 and DosBox for Master of Magic...

I used to say I could never get past leaving windows because I need my games, but I realize all I really play on Windows anymore are also on OSX. I mostly use my PSP/PS3 for games now.

Additional Comment:
Also I think Windows 7 is fucking ugly and I don't understand why people like that fat ass taskbar.

Hellcat

Contributor
the thing that makes me lol the most is that win 7 has the feature to run aero on a 800mhz processor w/o using the gfx card at all.
How do you enable that?
I got it running in a VM and would like to enable Aero there :)

Additional Comment:
Also I think Windows 7 is fucking ugly and I don't understand why people like that fat ass taskbar.
Finally someone who understands me :)

mohaas05

You can shrink the taskbar to the size of previous windows versions.

Additional Comment:
I love OSX, but I grew up on Macs. I remember when my old computer was a OS7 and I saved my money to upgrade it's ram and upgrade to OS8. And years later when I got a iMac with OS9 that could play Diablo 2 and DosBox for Master of Magic...

I remember at my house we ran Windows 98/Me, at school they ran Mac Performas with System 7 (or if you were lucky, OS9). I always envied the macs more than our windows computer.

Hellcat

Contributor
You can shrink the taskbar to the size of previous windows versions.
And still it eats up too much space, plus you can't (at least I didn't find the option for it yet) make it stay behind all open windows anymore.
It's always reserving it's space, making it unusable for anything else.

Hellcat

Contributor
Ah, I see, it's called "WARP" (Windows Advanced Rasterizer Platform) and it's part of Direct3D and the app must support it - which Win7 is supposed to.

I'll see if can get it running xD

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
Hmmm... I currently have both Windows 7 and OS X Leopard installed, and have used both fairly extensively. I prefer OS X for its usability, even though I like Windows 7's interface better. Both are great OS's.

If you do install Leopard, I can recommend some great programs, TextMate being one of them. I can say that OS X is the OS I keep coming back to from XP, Vista, and Windows 7 because everything just works. It's very hard to put my finger on one thing that makes it "better" than the others, it's just a different way of operating I guess.

Windows 7 is also great; it is my second favorite OS and I don't think you can really go wrong with it. Just make sure you backup, because although most of the time it's pretty much rock solid, I recently did get a BSOD while just web browsing (the first and only one I've gotten so far). Keep in mind that it is still a beta.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
installed great with the kalyway disc, detected my partitions right away, and did a full installation, but after reboot, it says

H00000000000
HFS+ partition error

I just put back in the disc and repaired the partition and its permissions, still no luck. wtf

Colm

The fact is, as a OS, Windows Seven is superior to OSX with new features like WARP. Mac is better interface-wise, but you can get a mac-like GUI on Windows using FlyAKite OSX, so using OSX is pretty useless.
Let's not forget that most software is developed for Windows, being the most-used OS.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Windows 7 is outstanding. I am really enjoying it and I have used a Mac but I am too use to the Windows interface.

Seth

MD Party Room
The fact is, as a OS, Windows Seven is superior to OSX with new features like WARP. Mac is better interface-wise, but you can get a mac-like GUI on Windows using FlyAKite OSX, so using OSX is pretty useless.
Let's not forget that most software is developed for Windows, being the most-used OS.

I feel the software developed on osx as a bit more quality(mainly GUI wise) then windows.
Apps like Adium,Quicksilver,Textmate,Camino,VisualHub,Disco,Acquisition,Time Machine...
Somethings you just cant skin on windows....

mohaas05

Most software is developed for both platforms.

Seven isn't superior to OS X in every way, and OS X isn't superior to Seven in every way. WARP is only useful for those with lower-end graphics hardware and does come with a significant performance hit on your CPU. FlyAKite OSX does not deliver the complete UI of OS X, rather it emulates it with skins and software. Finally, simply because there are more available applications for a platform does not make it better. Most tasks achievable in Seven are achievable in OS X as well.