• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Marriage

Slasher

Suck It
I thought this would be a good discussion topic to talk about marriage in general. This topic pertains to both gay marriage and heterosexual marriage.

Here's some questions to hopefully get the ball rolling.

Do you agree with marriage as a whole?
Should marriage be used as a tool (eg. economic stability) rather than for love?
Do you disagree with the benefits brought on by becoming married?
Gay marriage? Agree/Disagree?
Do you plan on getting married one day?
Agree with having children outside of being married?
Do you agree with the concept of monogamy? Stay truthful to your one partner?

(BEFORE ANSWERING THESE QUESTIONS, READ UPDATE BELOW)

I don't have much time to type out a lot here, but I just wanted to comment on how insignificant marriage seems to have become. People are constantly getting married for the wrong reasons, and it's really showing by such the high divorce rates nationwide. It's meaning is becoming less and less significant and I think the values of marriage should be made more aware.

UPDATE
As much as I appreciate the answers given so far, I wasn't exactly aiming on having everybody list my questions in single file and systematically fire an answer at them :eek:

I was kind of hoping to get some sort of discussion actually going, afterall this is smart talk :laugh:. The purpose of those questions were just to fill your minds with something to go off of, to hopefully get some discussion rolling.

So please here on in, avoid one-liner answers and actually attempt to type out how you feel on a certain aspect in regards to marriage. It can be anything whatsoever, don't be shy :).

Here's a question I think would by suitable for at the very least a decent answer, What does marriage mean to you?
When I have some time later today I'll share some thoughts

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
  1. Do you agree with marriage as a whole?
  2. Should marriage be used as a tool (eg. economic stability) rather than for love?
  3. Do you disagree with the benefits brought on by becoming married?
  4. Gay marriage? Agree/Disagree?
  5. Do you plan on getting married one day?
  6. Agree with having children outside of being married?
  7. Do you agree with the concept of monogamy? Stay truthful to your one partner?

1. Yes i agree.
  2. No i dont believe it should, dough people tend to do it.
  3. No i agree
  4. Disagree, i hate the thought!
  5. Probably
  6. Yes
  7. I wouldn't like to be cheated on so i would think my partner wouldn't to, so i agree.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
2. Should marriage be used as a tool (eg. economic stability) rather than for love?
7. Do you agree with the concept of monogamy? Stay truthful to your one partner?

1. yes, if marriage = union of 2 loving people
2. if it is necessary to survive to get the 'married' status on your tax forms, then yes, otherwise, why not just live together.
3. no, but I do feel those benifits should possibly extended to some other situations(roommates or something)
4. agree 130%
5. yeah, if I can find a woman who loves me, and who i love.
6. sure, why not. just make SURE you are in a position to take care of the kid.
7. staying faithful, yes. monogamy, no(if you both mutually want it, like a threesome)

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
slasher said:
1. Yes
2. No
3. No, i agree
4. as long as it doesn't affect me, or isn't pushed on me than i'm perfectly fine with it
5. heh, find out on that day
6. just be certain you love the person your having children with
7. VERY MUCH YES!, i hate the idea of cheaters

Colm

1. Yes
2. In my opinion, no. But if both people involved believe they will benefit from it, what's my view going to change?
3. No, but should be extended to others
4. Agree
5. I really can't say, seeing as I'm not in a relationship or anything. I'll find out sometime in the future, I guess.
6. There's no problem with it, just so long as people are certain that they can raise the child to the best of their ability.
7. Yes, I agree, but people should be certain that they are prepared to accept that concept, looking at divorce rates this seems to be highly ignored.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Should marriage be used as a tool (eg. economic stability) rather than for love?

Rather hard to explain my stance on that and make sense at the same time so i'll pass.

I don't actually believe in everlasting love, so my answer is if it makes someone happy then sure, why not.

No.

Don't really care. I wouldn't ever fight against it, but I won't exactly be the first to stand up for it.

If I can find a woman I can tolerate for more then three years then yes.

I believe if you have the ability to raise a child and actually want to undertake the task then go for it. being married doesn't make you a better parent.

Sorta. If I'm in a relationship, It's clear that you're earned the luxury of being the only one. But I wouldn't be irate if i was cheated on. shit happens

Adiuvo

1. Yes.
2. Typically not. Either way, people who do marry for that reason usually have some feelings for each other, even if it's only friendship.
3. Nope.
4. Disagree. Mostly for religion wise.
5. Yes.
6. No. If you're going to have some fun before marriage, at least be smart enough to wrap your tool.
7. Yes. A marriage is a life-long commitment. You should stay faithful.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
7. Do you agree with the concept of monogamy? Stay truthful to your one partner?​

1) Yes
2) No, it should be used purely for love. Why do you think we have such a high divorce rate these days?
3) No, it's good to give benefits to married couples.
4) Completely agree
5) Yes
6) No, it's not a good home for a child to grow up in.
7) Yes.

Serideth

Yes.

Hmmm, I think this is a bit tricky, I'm going to say no to this though.

No.

Completly agree with it, there is no solid ground to stand on arguing against it.

Already engaged. ;)

Yeah, although you could make a thread on this one alone.

Yes, I think if you honestly love someone you won't cheat on them and vise versa, I know I couldn't bare the idea of my fiance just kissing another guy.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
It's just a declaration of love, really. Maybe blown a little out of proportion, but I still support it.

Nope. That's missing the point completely.

Depends. What sort of benefits?

Not to be rude but, I really don't care. So Yeah, it's all good.

Nope. Personal reasons.

Depends on the person and financial situation. It's mostly fine apart from with teenage mums, people getting pregnant so that they can get a council house, ect..

Again, it doesn't really affect me. But Yeah, you should, unless it's a mutual agreement that you arn't going too; and I don't really see that happeneing. Ever.

Slasher

Suck It
As much as I appreciate the answers given so far, I wasn't exactly aiming on having everybody list my questions in single file and systematically fire an answer at them :eek:

I was kind of hoping to get some sort of discussion actually going, afterall this is smart talk :laugh:. The purpose of those questions were just to fill your minds with something to go off of, to hopefully get some discussion rolling.

So please here on in, avoid one-liner answers and actually attempt to type out how you feel on a certain aspect in regards to marriage. It can be anything whatsoever, don't be shy :).

Here's a question I think would by suitable for at the very least a decent answer, What does marriage mean to you?
When I have some time later today I'll share some thoughts

Serideth

Well, let's see.

For me marriage is a sure way of showing you really love someone, as far as I'm concerned it has little, if nothing at all to do with religion. I just think it's a real no bullshit way of showing you're 101% committed to that person.

I know two people can be together their whole lives and not get married, and I'm not saying they love each other any less than people who do get married, but at the same time I never really understood people who say "we don't need a piece of paper ton confirm our love", sure you don't, but why not go for it?

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
I just think it's a real no bullshit way of showing you're 101% committed to that person.

That's the whole point of it, in my mind. That one line describes everything that marridge is, and everythign it should be. Npthing more, nothing less. I don't think it should affect the two people as greatly as it does. I think that, even though the whole idea of marridge is to join two people together, in the eyes of the law, they should still remain as two individuals, and not one pair.

Like, for example, I don't think joint bank accounts should exist. Ever. I always think that everything should have one clear owner, so that theres never any disputes, if and when couples break up. Still, I know I don't have any solid ground to stand on here, espcially since I can see a huge void in my own point. If no joint bank accounts existed, there'd never be any business partnerships, PLCs, ect. which have obvious benefits.

... Meh. I really have no way of explaining what I'm trying to get across. If that didn't do it for you, forget it.

Whisper

Logic :(
1)Yes
2)It should be used as a tool, but for love also (why not work the system.)
3)Not familiar with all the benefits but from what I know yes.
4)Neutral
5)Can't say, I need a stable income before I consider it.
6)No for the kids sake.
7)Yes one hundred percent, if you weren't planning on it why get married?

Oh...I shouldn't have answered like this huh slasher.

LocutusEstBorg

>Do you agree with marriage as a whole?
Yes because being with someone is an important requirement of mental well being. Even in places like India where your parents usually get you married to someone who you don't even know, eventually its probably for the better. And I for one am glad that most people here still follow the traditional system where its your parents headache to get you married because I sure as hell am not capable of wooing any woman.

>Should marriage be used as a tool (eg. economic stability) rather than for love?
No, absolutely not.

>Agree with having children outside of being married?
Atleast for the children's sake: No.

>Do you agree with the concept of monogamy? Stay truthful to your one partner?
Yes I can't agree more. Why the hell would you marry someone if you're going to cheat on him/her. I know I definitely won't.

Slasher

Suck It
>Do you agree with marriage as a whole?
Yes because being with someone is an important requirement of mental well being. Even in places like India where your parents usually get you married to someone who you don't even know, eventually its probably for the better. And I for one am glad that most people here still follow the traditional system where its your parents headache to get you married because I sure as hell am not capable of wooing any woman.

>Should marriage be used as a tool (eg. economic stability) rather than for love?
No, absolutely not.

I found these two responses somewhat ironic. You agree with having predetermined set up marriages, yet disagree with marriage being used as a tool other than love. These predetermined marriages you condone are based on nothing but parents setting it up.... there's no love involved whatsoever. Perhaps love is formed after the fact, but it's not like you even have a choice because you're stuck with this person for the rest of your life. Sounds artificial to me.

I strongly disagree with this marriage system. Being forced to marry somebody that you perhaps don't even like is just ridiculous. Thank god I don't have to be forced to do this. I get to choose somebody I truly love for who they are. I can see why you agree with it though since you even said yourself that you are incapable of wooing a woman. If you're incapable of wooing a woman now, than I doubt you'll be capable of wooing her in marriage either ;) Could this result in an unhappy life for your potential wife? Quite possibly

>Agree with having children outside of being married?
Atleast for the children's sake: No.

I was born before my parents were married and I turned out just fine :laugh:
I was actually 1-1/2 years old when they did get married. I was the little ringbearer at the wedding.

Adiuvo

In that case, your parents ended up getting married anyways. What I think Torch was saying was if the child was born without the parents having any intention of getting married or staying together. That would be horrible for the child.

Slasher

Suck It
In that case, your parents ended up getting married anyways. What I think Torch was saying was if the child was born without the parents having any intention of getting married or staying together. That would be horrible for the child.

I know, I was just letting him see the question from a different perspective :p