• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gateway laptop upgrading.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
Okay my current specs.

2.0 ghz cpu
ram 2x 512mb's (1024 or 1gb all together)
unfortunately thats all i know about my laptop.

i want to ugrade my ram but i dont know what the limit is. i dont know how to check any suggestions.

Also i was wondering whats a good amount of ram for gaming. and is there a app that will let me know what all my specs are. thnx in advance.

Seth

MD Party Room

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh

mohaas05

A quick google search revealed some ram for sale on ebay. My guess is that the maximum will be 2gb. However, whether you can game on it or not depends on the graphics hardware.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
15vkhx.png

Okay another question

is the imit on ram hardware or software based.

i wanna be able to put more then 2gb's in it how can i do that. Is it possible.

Moose

Meta Moose
[qimg]http://i41.tinypic.com/15vkhx.png[/qimg]

Okay another question

is the imit on ram hardware or software based.

i wanna be able to put more then 2gb's in it how can i do that. Is it possible.

Both. The MB can only support up to a certain amount of RAM, but operating systems such as XP and Vista 32bit can only use, if I remember correctly, 3.5GB of RAM.

Seth

MD Party Room
Nope 2gb is your hardware limits...Dont count on doing much gaming on it...Even if you did upgrade the ram..

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
How do you have 0mb RAM o_O

I have 1024mb.

Its not recognised because im using windows 7.

But can i update my motherboard to accept more then 2gb's and also is there any software based solution and one last question what would happen if i add more ram then the imit.

mohaas05

It's nearly impossible to upgrade the motherboard on a laptop as it is HIGHLY integrated with the rest of the hardware.

There is no solution. There is no point either. You won't see any real benefits from going over 2gb. Like I said, it doesn't matter if you have unlimited amounts of RAM, it all depends on your graphics hardware.

Seth

MD Party Room
I have 1024mb.

Its not recognised because im using windows 7.

But can i update my motherboard to accept more then 2gb's and also is there any software based solution and one last question what would happen if i add more ram then the imit.

Like above nope... What game are you trying to run that need more than 2gb of ram any how..

On second thought you can maybe used ready boot on vista tho that wont help much gaming wise.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
Like above nope... What game are you trying to run that need more than 2gb of ram any how..

On second thought you can maybe used ready boot on vista tho that wont help much gaming wise.

Well its not a game persay.

I just found a really really good deal on ram. 2x 4gb's for only 9.99

I cant find smaller ones cheaper then that wich is why i asked if it would work if i upgraded to 8gb's would it still work but just not have the extra memory. like just be 2gb's but be 4gb's in each slot.

Seth

MD Party Room
Umm keep in mind every laptop has a different type of ram to use... and from what I can tell you may only used 1gb sticks.