• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Yellowstone About to Kill Us?

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
I'm guessing the 'Us' in the title doesn't include me. Unless Abe's right. :(
Also, the link Hiratai Posted in broken.

Cryox

Bro.
Wasn't there a discovery channel special about this awhile ago?

I can't find the name of it using Google, thought it would be worth a watch again.

It was called Supervolcano.
It was part of 5 stories in a docu-drama called "End Day", which you can watch here: End Day
The more explored version of the Yellowstone scenario was only broadcast in the UK.
Wikipedia FTW!

I remember seeing that at a friend's house. That was a pretty cool show, but it's kinda hard to believe that it might happen soon considering that my area might be affected. :confused:

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I though this thread was about yogi bear, but noooo, it's about how I'm going to get fucked up by a homicidal volcano. This just ruined my day.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
We all know it's bound to happen... I think Discovery even had a short film about it; if memory serves me correctly it was Super Volcano. I haven't heard much about it from my regular news reads (NYTimes is really all I read). I'm not worried though (East Coast ftw ;) ). The result of the super volcano erupting will be a shock to me as I've seen it in movies and documentaries - but would never have expected it in my lifetime.

Slasher

Suck It
We all know it's bound to happen... I think Discovery even had a short film about it; if memory serves me correctly it was Super Volcano.
Way to look 4 posts above yours

I'm not worried though (East Coast ftw ;) ). The result of the super volcano erupting will be a shock to me as I've seen it in movies and documentaries - but would never have expected it in my lifetime.

You do realize that it would likely end the world by the amount of dust kicked up into the atmosphere, right? You being on the east coast doesn't automatically make it something not worth worrying about ;) Not to mention the catastrophic results of having half your country wiped out doesnt exactly make things better

Slasher

Suck It
it's had larger eruptions in the past, and the world's still around....

Whoops, I meant the human race. Not the world itself.

The dust being kicked up would wipe everything in the immediate area. The earth would be subject to no sunlight, therefore no crops for food for animals (This is essentially what happened with the proposed theory of how the dinosaurs became extinct when the giant asteroid impacted earth). This would cause virtually no food for us either. The earth would also freeze up as well if I recall correctly because very little sunlight would be able to pierce the clouded atmosphere.

Adiuvo

The only problem I have with these doomsday theories is that they never include any government action. I seriously doubt that if Yellowstone were to erupt and dust clouds ensue, they would just let it sit there. There has to be a way to get it down, right? I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

eighty4

Yellowstone Erupting will lead to world peace. I had a huge idea in my head but I don't feel like typing it.

mohaas05

The only problem I have with these doomsday theories is that they never include any government action. I seriously doubt that if Yellowstone were to erupt and dust clouds ensue, they would just let it sit there. There has to be a way to get it down, right? I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

Well what do you suggest they do? Take a giant vacuum and suck up the dust?

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Whoops, I meant the human race. Not the world itself.

The dust being kicked up would wipe everything in the immediate area. The earth would be subject to no sunlight, therefore no crops for food for animals (This is essentially what happened with the proposed theory of how the dinosaurs became extinct when the giant asteroid impacted earth). This would cause virtually no food for us either. The earth would also freeze up as well if I recall correctly because very little sunlight would be able to pierce the clouded atmosphere.

that's happened in the past, we still survived, where not going to be wiped out simple because a super volcano erupts, we will be able to survive a freeze over, we can find diffrent sources of food(we can emulate the sun's rays, which means that each family could buy a device to grow their own food), the dinosaurs on the other hand didn't have the intelligence we have, which caused the mass amount of them to die off, we will survive, only an ungodly miracle of death could cause us to be wiped out(i.e. alien invasion(2013), gates of hell opening(2012), stupid people(now)...their's a few that could happen i guess...)

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Or when our sun dies. It's foolish to think the human race will survive forever.

if we can't figure a way off this rock in 5 billion years, were fucked up, hell just using current tech we could make if far enough away from the sun within that time, and no the human race won't survive, it'll evolve...cyborgs FTW!!

Slasher

Suck It
that's happened in the past, we still survived, where not going to be wiped out simple because a super volcano erupts, we will be able to survive a freeze over, we can find diffrent sources of food(we can emulate the sun's rays, which means that each family could buy a device to grow their own food), the dinosaurs on the other hand didn't have the intelligence we have, which caused the mass amount of them to die off, we will survive, only an ungodly miracle of death could cause us to be wiped out(i.e. alien invasion(2013), gates of hell opening(2012), stupid people(now)...their's a few that could happen i guess...)

I don't think you understand the magnitude at which things would get fucked up. It would be absolutely catastrophic, and there would be utter chaos. I guarantee it. You can't just label it as - oh, shit's fucked up, lets turn to capitalism by selling UV ray producers... Honestly.

While the entire human race might not get wiped out, I'd still say a significant portion (80%+) would be. And once that happens, will there even be governments to regulate/stabilize things? Probably not. Things would be pretty messed up to say the least. We would be pushed to the brink of extinction.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I just don't think you understand the magnitude at which things would get fucked up. There would be utter chaos. I guarantee it. While the entire human race might not get wiped out, I'd still say a significant portion (80%+) would be. And once that happens, will there even be governments to regulate/stabilize things? Probably not.

are you kidding me?, ash, and blocking out the sun is not going to kill us on the scale your imagining, the initial shock is ganna fuck alot of people over, no lie, but 3-6 months after the volcano we'll already be adjusting back to our lives, we'll get new equipment, new ways to survive, etc, this is the one reason we humans are still around, WE CAN ADAPT!, and at this point, governments are not going to be wiped out because of a sudden and realitivly brief chaotic event, we have locations for people to go to that are safe from NUCLEAR attacks, yet alone from a volcano going BOOM, the human race is ganna survive, so i'd lower that signifigant portion to about 30% will die in the long run, but to tell the truth, none of us will truely know until it blows