• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Nintendo DSi US Launch Dated

eXo

M for Messenger
Nintendo of America has officially announced that April 5th is slated as the US release date for the new DSi. The handheld originally released in Japan last year and has been met with sub par sales as it appears that original adopters are not being swayed by new features such as a built in camera.

More...

Seth

MD Party Room
Sweet I been saving up for this for quite a long time. I hope it not going to be over 150. Any word if there still going to be selling the dsl after the dsi comes out? Is there even a launch lineup for the DSi?

Edit seems it $169.99 ...

Adiuvo

Why are you buying it Vanden? I don't really see the appeal of it, since I have a PSP for my media needs, and it's not really that big of a design change from the phat DS to the lite.

Whisper

Logic :(
I'm holding out for the next generation of handhelds. Does anyone have a good idea how long I will be waiting?

Seth

MD Party Room
Not sure, I just really want it! I was under the impression that it going to replace the DSL . I just dont know what games are coming out for it. I hoping that wiiware games will work both on the dsi and Wii. But I do agree it not a huge upgrade.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
DSi has more RAM and a better CPU (twice the speed of DS/DSL). The homebrew possibilities are what is making me get one.

I personally think because of this it's more than just another hardware revision. Nintendo may be releasing the DSi as an "optional" upgrade right now, but later will start releasing DSi only games at retail and market it as a successor to DS when sales of the previous model start to dwindle. This is just a theory though..

Seth

MD Party Room
DSi has more RAM and a better CPU (twice the speed of DS/DSL). The homebrew possibilities are what is making me get one.

I personally think because of this it's more than just another hardware revision. Nintendo may be releasing the DSi as an "optional" upgrade right now, but later will start releasing DSi only games at retail and market it as a successor to DS when sales of the previous model start to dwindle. This is just a theory though..

But wasted on the second touchscreen and cameras, so theres no real speed benefit... Also aside from the face of the sd card benefit. The psp and ipod touch seem to be a better homebrew hardware and software wise..Tho nintendo lack of fixes and updates does make it a good pic as well..

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM EST ----------

Just so you guys know it dated April 5th not April 15th..

Nintendo DSi to launch in North America on April 5th - Engadget

Seth

MD Party Room

Joey

If this is true, just the possibility of finally getting a working SNES emu on my DS would make it a worthy perchase.

Other than that though, I already have DS, so no buy.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
But wasted on the second touchscreen and cameras, so theres no real speed benefit... Also aside from the face of the sd card benefit. The psp and ipod touch seem to be a better homebrew hardware and software wise..Tho nintendo lack of fixes and updates does make it a good pic as well..
It's still only 1 touch screen

Cryox

Bro.
It's still only 1 touch screen
They should seriously consider two touch screens. It would make it more interesting to use.

btw, is it known yet if you'll still need a R4 (or whatever the dsi uses) for game backups, or will you be able to use a regular SD card?

eldiablov

Contributor
But wasted on the second touchscreen and cameras, so theres no real speed benefit

Even for you that comment makes no sense. When the camera isn't being used it isn't consuming CPU and the touchscreen won't take up half of the CPU speed :huh:

Adiuvo

They should seriously consider two touch screens. It would make it more interesting to use.

btw, is it known yet if you'll still need a R4 (or whatever the dsi uses) for game backups, or will you be able to use a regular SD card?

Of course you'll need a chip. It would be a major design flaw if you could just stick games on an SD card and play them. You were able to do that with the Dreamcast, and while it wasn't the whole reason for the system dying, it definitely contributed.

Sullivan

I hate DS's. I would rather buy me a new PSP for a little more then what a DS offers, and get 100% more content capabilities.

Cryox

Bro.
Of course you'll need a chip. It would be a major design flaw if you could just stick games on an SD card and play them. You were able to do that with the Dreamcast, and while it wasn't the whole reason for the system dying, it definitely contributed.

Do the hackers or whoever have it already made for the DSi? cause i heard that Nintendo was going to start protecting their games or w/e

Joey

Well, obviously Nintendo wouldn't natively allow that, but somebody could hack it to work.

I think somebody has gotten a hello world app running off the SD slot on the DSi. Haven't followed it at all though, because I don't have a DSi, and thus, don't care.