• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Making A MMS And Pandora Battery

Alex

This is my first tutorial :D if there’s any mistakes, let me know and I’ll edit it! :)

First lets cover the well known and hated (for me) ta-88v3 motherboards.

If you have one of these you will not be able to install CFW to your PSP.
this is because the pre-ipl will block the custom ipl from launching.( i think)

To find out whether you have a ta-88v3 motherboard or not can be mainly determined by the firmware you bought your PSP with. if your PSP slim or brite came with PSP firmware 4.01 or higher
you have a 85-90% chance of having one of the ta-88v3's.

All hope is not lost to you thanks to Davee who is currently making a HEN (homebrew enabler) for 5.03
which seems to be almost complete, seeing that he has emulators and homebrew running off it.
This HEN is for all psp's with 5.03.
This may also help non ta-88v3 owners to install cfw, although that is an uneducated guess, i dont know whether M33 prx's effect it or something among those lines.
f you suspect you have a ta-88v3 you can still give this a try though.

IF YOU HAVE A PSP BRITE, YOU HAVE A 100% UNHACKABLE MOTHERBOARD AT THE CURRENT TIME - please dont post here asking about them.

now lets move on to some details, I’m just going to cover some definitions here so I don’t confuse people.

Custom firmware AKA CFW:Allows execution of backed up psp games, homebrew, plug-ins. it also allows you to customize your psp, gives you access to flash0 ect.

Magic memory stick (MMS) : Yhis is a modded memory stick that has the required files on it to recover your psp from a brick or
to install CFW.

Pandora battery: This is a modded battery that has had its serial changed to 0XFFFFFFFF. this allows the battery to place the PSP in service mode. This is useless without a magic memory stick.

Getting A Pandora Battery

You will need:

A spare PSP battery
If you're using a slim, you will need to have a ta-85 motherboard to soft mod a battery. Otherwise, you will need to get hold of a phat PSP.
note that PHAT Pandora Batteries will work in slims.

If you have CFW you can do this very easily.

You can use Cory's OSPBT 0.6 to convert your battery to a Pandora’s battery.
Note that you cannot use a Pandora battery as a normal battery.

You can download Cory's OSPBT 0.6 from here http://nds.cmamod.com/wordpress/?dl=31

Once this has been downloaded, you will need to extract the files.

You will then need to open ospbt_060 then once inside the ospbt_060 folder you will then copy the folder ospbt_060 which contains the EBOOT.PBP.
This folder will be copied to your GAME folder on your psp memory stick.

Once this has been copied on your psp you will then go to game, then memory stick on your psp.
you will then launch OSPBT

once you have launched this, you will have to accept.
note that when the battery has been pandoraized, it will lose its heat control and will explode if you over charge it.

press x to accept and enter the program

once pressed, you will then have to select "convert to service mode (aka: Pandora’s battery)

congratulations, you are now a proud owner of a Pandora’s battery.

If your on OFW its going to be a lot more trickier.

you can either see if one your mates have a psp with CFW and do the above

or you will have to either hard mod one which requires opening the battery (this will not be covered in this tutorial)

or you can buy a datel tool battery.

The next step is making a mms.
Note that these may not work properly if the memory stick is not magic gate supported.

if your on cfw this is just requires running an installer.

you can get DC8 from http://downloads.exophase.com/122/despertar-del-cementerio-v8/

Extract the files from the archive

you then should see a "DC8" folder.

Copy this to your "GAME" on the memory stick.

you then should download the 5.00 EBOOT. get it here http://exophase.com/files/psp/500.PBP

once it has downloaded, place at the root of the memory stick (where PSP, VIDEO, PICTURE folders are)

exit usb mode then go to game, memory stick and run Despertar del Cementerio v8

if DC8 asks you press a button to assign to, press the R trigger.

once the program exits, the installation is complete.

you now own a Pandora’s battery and magic memory stick.

if you on OFW you will have to find a mate with cfw and do the above, or you can make a mms through a pc.
for you to do this, you will need to download Pandora deluxe, you can get this here http://www.psp-hacks.com/download.php?id=1543

once downloaded and installed, you need to change the following

firmware and Pandora options:

Despertar del Cementerio v8 you will need to change pandora button configuration to R trigger for Despertar del Cementerio v8
installation options:

Despertar del Cementerio v8

memory card options:

prepare and format memory stick
use mspformat
inject IPL

and then click start.

once its finished you now own a magic memory stick!

Using the mms and Pandora:

Put in the MMS

Insert the Pandora battery whilst pressing the R trigger.

It should then boot up into the DC8 menu.

when you arrive to the dc8 boot menu, you want to back up your nand first.

to do this you will go to nand operations, then dump nand.

once this is complete press O to return to the boot menu again then click install 5.00M33

once this has finished, you MUST press either X or O if you take out the battery, you will end up in a brick.

congratualtios, you are a now a proud owner of a CFW psp or a unbricked one!!

Troubleshooting:

if Dc8 doesnt boot, its most likely because you have a ta-88v3 or you have a fake memorystick.

J

jx233

I say this is a detailed guide. :D

But, to give contructive criticism about this, you should add on a line that says that PSP Slims that do not have a TA-085 motherboard cannot make a Pandora Battery the softmod way.

Although, there are alot of guides here on Pandora's Battery here already, I will give ya +rep for this still.

Alex

:) thank you very much, i plan to add more in time, i thought i'd add one because theres a lot of questions relating to this in the PSP help centre.

J

jx233

You should a FAQ on this too. Like write a question, and an answer to it then.

[Example]:

Q: Which PSPs are autostarted by a Pandora's Battery?

A: Every model except the PSP-3000 series.

[/Example]

And so on.