• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Popsloader Guide

Tenshigami

Installing, Using, and Getting the Most Out of Popsloader:

Popsloader is an OE plugin created by the Dark_AleX, the main man behind the OE firmwares. This plugin allows you to load your PS1 POPS games using any of the different firmware POPS versions from 3.00 to 3.11. Note: 3.30 and 3.40 OE-A cannot load POPS from version 3.03 and below.

Although Popsloader takes time to install, it's well worth it for the increased compatibility with PS1 games. Here is a step-by-step guide for those new to Popsloader.

NONE of these steps write to flash! Everything described in this guide is SAFE!

What you need:

- Update Eboots for 3.00, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03, 3.10, and/or 3.11 - Will post links with permission!

- PBP Unpacker

- A PSARDumper version with support for up to 3.11 or above

- Popsloader

Step 1:

- Open the update eboot file in PBP Unpacker, and unpack it to your desktop.

- Take the data.psar file (you may delete the rest of the unpacked files) and place it in ms0:/ (the root folder of your memory stick.

Step 2:

- Run PSARDumper from your memory stick. press Square to dump and decrypt the firmware files.

- Take pops.prx and popsman.prx from ms0:/F0/kd/ and place them on your hard drive. For 3.00 thru 3.03 pops you also need meaudio.prx.

- rename the copies on your hard drive to pops<version>.prx, popsman<version>.prx (and meaudio<version>.prx) with no period in the version number. I.E. pops300.prx for 3.00

- Delete the F0 folder from your memorystick.

- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for any other pops versions you wish to install.

Step 3:

- place popsloader.prx and the popsloader folder in ms0:/seplugins.

- place your renamed .prx files in ms0:/seplugins/popsloader/

Step 4:

- open ms0:/seplugins/pops.txt in notepad and add the following line: ms0:/seplugins/popsloader.prx. Save the file.

- boot your PSP in recovery. go to Plugins and set popsloader.prx [POPS] to Enabled.

- exit to XMB

Congratulations! Popsloader is now installed and ready to use!

The first time you run a PS1 game that has no popsloader settings, the plugin will display a menu to select the version of pops you wish to use. To change the specific pops version for a game that already has popsloader settings, hold the R Trigger while selecting the game from the XMB Menu.

The following is currently only valid on 3.40 OE-A!

To convert 3.40 pops back to the older pops save file format, use CWCheat:

- CWCheat 0.1.8

How to convert:

- run game in 3.40 POPS (in popsloader menu: Original from flash)

- As soon as you can (classic black Playstation logo screen) after loading the PS1 game, activate the CWCheat menu (default: hold Select for 3 seconds)

- go to "Manage Memory Cards"

- select "save memory card 1 to memory stick". (and memory card 2 if you want/need)

- exit out of the CWCheat menu, quit POPS, then load the game in your desired POPS version.

- enter CWCheat as soon as you can, go to manage memory cards, then select "load memory card 1 from memory stick" (and memory card 2 if you want/need)

Your 3.40 save data is now usable in the lower POPS versions. Until you use 3.40 pops for that game again.

R

R@ptor

Hi, I decrypted the Data.psar form Firmware 3.11 with PSARDumper but there aren't any Files in the F0/kd folder only a folder named "resource".
What did I wrong? Or is it because i'm using 3.40 (OE-A)

EDIT: ok I found them with the Data.psar from Firmware 3.03 and I installed everything. But if I try to run Breath of fire 3 (made an eboot with Autopopstation, from the original Game) I only get Black Screen.

EDIT2: tried with Breath of Fire 4 and also doesn't work.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hi, I decrypted the Data.psar form Firmware 3.11 with PSARDumper but there aren't any Files in the F0/kd folder only a folder named "resource".
What did I wrong? Or is it because i'm using 3.40 (OE-A)

EDIT: ok I found them with the Data.psar from Firmware 3.03 and I installed everything. But if I try to run Breath of fire 3 (made an eboot with Autopopstation, from the original Game) I only get Black Screen.

EDIT2: tried with Breath of Fire 4 and also doesn't work.

3.40 OE-A cannot run 3.03 pops, only 3.10 and 3.11 pops.

Are you sure you used the psardumper linked the post? Earlier versions would probably only give you a resource folder..

DarkDisciple13

my psp always seems to freeze/crash whenever after i attempt to resume my game after loading memory card 1 from memory stick. Any ideas?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
my psp always seems to freeze/crash whenever after i attempt to resume my game after loading memory card 1 from memory stick. Any ideas?

Did you read the part about saving? You'll need to convert whatever save you're trying to load back to an earlier pops version.

DarkDisciple13

Yes. I save it to my memory card while using original from flash(3.40), then i tried to load it from 3.10 pop. Then it freezes when i try to resume game :-(

Ethos3419

I have the same problem. I got the save files to work, but as soon as I load them up using CWCheat and exit, it crashes.

Ethos3419

You can get the save files from CWCHEAT to work in the 3.4 OE version, but everytime you try to open them up in popsloader with either 3.11 or 3.1 version pops it just crashes...but only if you try to load up Memory Card 1. If you load the file into Memory Card 2, it simply doesn't recognize a card being inserted into Slot 2. Any suggestions?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
You can get the save files from CWCHEAT to work in the 3.4 OE version, but everytime you try to open them up in popsloader with either 3.11 or 3.1 version pops it just crashes...but only if you try to load up Memory Card 1. If you load the file into Memory Card 2, it simply doesn't recognize a card being inserted into Slot 2. Any suggestions?

Can you try with the latest version of CWCheat (available here)?

I noticed the one in the guide is outdated.

Tenshigami

Can you try with the latest version of CWCheat (available here)?

I noticed the one in the guide is outdated.

Oh. Woops, I've been kinda busy lately, and forgot CWCheat's link needed to be updated in my guide. >.<

Updated the link to Rev D. And removed the 3.40 CWCheat POPS fix. That was back when CWCheat was first updated with 3.40 support.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Angle619

hi look my firmware is 3.71 m33-3 and i downloaded the popsloader for it but when im playing digimon world 3 when i go through some doors the screen goes black and the game stops doesnt anybody know whats wrong?

Richlando

That isn't due to the popsloader prx itself but may be due to the version of the pops you're using.Try using 372 pops or below to see if it resolves it. If memory serves me this game had a specific ID fix so try that..(J ID) Just keep changing the ID until you find one that works or just simply try other pops versions...(303,340,372..etc)

DmnJay

is this the same way you install popsloader in 380m33??? Ive tried this and I get a black screen with warning lettering and then the screen goes black and shuts off... what am I doing wrong?