• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

I really wonder why ps1 games had to be so big

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
I've seen how all the n64 games are all so small compared to ps1 games. Like I know there is the difference when it comes to cartridge vs cd but still. O yea also I think graphics are better on ps1, but still even though all of these differences it shouldn't make it so the games are tenfold or more smaller on the n64. If anyone has any knowledge of a better way to play ps1 games while better compressed without ripping please let me know, also if anyone knows why nintendo made there games so much small with near the same quality or how maybe then someone might be able to figure out a way to do it for psp. Wouldn't that be sweet 16 meg ps1 games. I'd put like all my games on.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Well, PSX games used CD audio, whereas N64 used, like, MP3 or whatever. I have often wondered myself if there was a way to compress the audio and the game still be able to recognize and read it, but alas, I believe such a feat would be nothing short of impossible, unless you reprogram the game itself.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
reporgraming the game you say hmmmmmmm. It would be amazing if sony realized this wasn't making there loyal fans happy and just for the psp made something to change it or made it so you could compress them and allow them to still be played that would be sweet:laugh:

Cheezeball99

Honestly, though, why would they do that? To make the people using homebrew on the PSP happy? They aren't fans of that anyways, and although it's nice to entertain the thought, it's impossible, not only because Sony wouldn't want to do it, but it would have to modify the ACTUAL GAMES, like, not just the music data, but how the game reads the music/sounds itself. Just sayin'.

Krelian

Sometimes...

It can be done! If you're willing to lose some of the finer points like sound...
There's an 18MB version of Einhander, a 22MB version of Tomb Raider (has a few glitches though), Tactics Ogre at 51MBs... they're out there...

Cheezeball99

If anyone has any knowledge of a better way to play ps1 games while better compressed WITHOUT RIPPING please let me know, ...

That's what we're talkin' 'bout, Krelian, without actually taking anything out, or 'ripping'. I am very aware, in fact, because I run rips of C&C Red Alert and Castlevania SOTN, and although they're ALOT smaller, alotta games just aren't the same without their kickass music 'n' such.

Krelian

Every great game has had great music...

I completely agree, but short of ripping out the music it's just not possible.
Although there may be more freak occurrences of games that miraculously compress an unbelievable amount without losing anything (like Tactics Ogre actually)... but I doubt that since at this point just about every PSone game has been converted by a few different people using a few different programs.
Really the only solution we'll ever have is to just get a bigger memory stick...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Although there may be more freak occurrences of games that miraculously compress an unbelievable amount without losing anything (like Tactics Ogre actually)... but I doubt that since at this point just about every PSone game has been converted by a few different people using a few different programs.
Really the only solution we'll ever have is to just get a bigger memory stick...

just a thought but the n64 version of resident evil only had 64MB in the catridge....yet it had 2 CD's worth of game on it :p

although i do suppose a lot of it would of been duplicate data....

same with ff7...wonder how much it would be without all the duplicate data....

Cheezeball99

If I'm not mistaken, in FF7 the only difference between the discs are the FMVs, so it'd make it ALOT smaller. I'm suprised noone's made a program or guide to combine the discs, like they did with PE.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Yea when I got tried to make a copy of PE it was huge was a good game and all but not worth taking up that much space then I found the combined copy and I'm like sweet. I'm guessing though that more then oneperson knows how to do this since by pure chance I have a 10 game in one eboot. Haven't tested it yet but I'm guessing it'll work. All the game are prob rips too because the file is only like a little under 600 mbs.

Finbaloid

Artist and Musician

The thing is you can compress ISO's into different formats so... nah...:sad:
Ripping the music and compressing it could be an option...:glare:
I see what you mean now, Bigger memory sticks...the 8GB is out... for about 200 quid!!!!!!

Brutus_X

Theoretically it should be possible if the PSX offered a facilities for loading and playing music on the OS level. If so, emulators only allow the same OS calls to handle other sound formats, and when ripping the PSX game you simply convert the CDA data to MP3 or whatnot but keep the same name, if any. If pure CD audio tracks were used, that could be handled (virtually mapped) by the emulator as well. However, if music management were handled through application-level code (whether from library APIs or home-made) then it is hopeless. Still, CD audio remapping, come to think of it, should still be feasible an any case.

Cheezeball99

But the thing is that some games for the PSX store everything into one big sound chunk, SE and everything, if I'm not mistaken, so the actual game reads the audio chunk a certain way, which I could see if you were to compress the audio clump...:D

Brutus_X

the thing is that the PSX stores everything into one big sound chunk, SE and everything, if I'm not mistaken, so the actual game reads the audio chunk a certain way

So you say there's a standard way of storing and reading sound data on the PSX? Then that could definitely be handled by an emulator. It IS what emulators do, after all...

Darkchild

The Doctor
Brutus_X note that each game has it's own way of "Reading" the sound data, now, the emulator makes the computer think like the machine and execute the psx's program which would normally tell the PSX how to decode the data =)

Cheezeball99

Brutus_X note that each game has it's own way of "Reading" the sound data, now, the emulator makes the computer think like the machine and execute the psx's program which would normally tell the PSX how to decode the data =)

Exactly, it differs from game to game, some games you can put into the actual CD player and play the tracks and listen to the music, because all but one are audio tracks. But some are just the big chunk, there's no actual standard because, like DC said, the game tells the PSX what to do.

Brutus_X, I understand what you're trying to say, and what you are explaining is what you can do with Sega CD games, because they all use Audio CDs and all use the same convention to play them, the game just tells the SCD what track to play at what time. I have some of my ripped SegaCD games and the audio has been encoded to MP3's so they're a much more managable filesize, but alas, most of the PSX games are much more complicated than that.

Brutus_X

Heh, Cheezeball, it was you who made me think that PSX used a standardised and uniform way of handling sound data :p Oh well, no big surprise that it
wasn't the case, and then emulator-level virtual mapping is a no go.

<tangent>

Lacking standards has actually been a common criticism of Sony's platforms by developers, that there are too little standard library support and APIs released with their systems (coupled with constantly new hardware this means that prior experience is less valuable which in turn means less incitements to remain loyal to Sony).

</tangent>