• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Updated: Universal PSP Unbricker v2 Released For PSP Slim & Phat

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
batterypsp.jpg

Dark_AleX has released a universal unbricker utility for PSP Slim and Phat units. Essentially, the tool turns any ordinary memory stick into a "magic memory stick" which when used in conjunction with a Pandora battery unbricks a PSP and installs custom firmware 3.71 M33.

Spread the word and DIGG THIS.

Credits go to MrTuto_Alek for translating the readme.

Update: Alex has released a minor update to the unbricker. Apparently some users were running into a BSOD after unbricking and pressing circle bricked the PSP due to a bug in the Sony firmware code. This is now fixed.

Download Universal PSP Unbricker v2 / Install Guide

Despertar del Cementerio [Elotrolado]

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Just a note to all: re-download the archive if haven't already. Alex has new version of the unbricker due to a bug in the Sony firmware code.

If you already unbricked successfully then you're fine.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

PhreakAccident

I almost had a noob moment. I followed the English instructions, modifying my old magic stick into the new universal one. Then I thought (what about that darn battery?).... doh... same battery, new stick, great stuff!

I just wish I was half as talented as all of you dev people! Big thumbs up!
PA

Edit: I brought my 3.71m33 to official 3.71 then back to 3.71m33 with no BSOD nor having to press the darn 'O' key. I might even brick it just for fun! LOL

Acerthief

Okay i've installed this, and here's what i found out.
There's no way to restore back to 1.5 anymore.
the service menu only has
1) install 3.71M33
2) install Official 3.71
3) dump nand-dump
4) restore nand-dump

So i've got a question x3,
say if i'm downgrading my friends official 3.52, can I use this memory stick ?
or do I have to use another magic memory stick to downgrade to 1.5 first, then use this and flash to 3.71M33?

Even I'm confused XD

Thanks in Advance.

PhreakAccident

You should be able to bring your friends official 3.52 up to either Official 3.71 or 3.71m33 with this. Also, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to plop a 1.50 restore into the restore folder of the ms and run the restore routine from the recovery menu.... should you find the need to say, upgrade back to 3.5xm33.

[Edit]
I'm looking at my recovery menu and I see an option to run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP so it looks like we should still be able to recover back to 1.50 using the recover.zip thing. I'll try it later today and find out.
[/Edit]

Okay i've installed this, and here's what i found out.
There's no way to restore back to 1.5 anymore.
the service menu only has
1) install 3.71M33
2) install Official 3.71
3) dump nand-dump
4) restore nand-dump

So i've got a question x3,
say if i'm downgrading my friends official 3.52, can I use this memory stick ?
or do I have to use another magic memory stick to downgrade to 1.5 first, then use this and flash to 3.71M33?

Even I'm confused XD

Thanks in Advance.

JasonBrunelle

So you still need a PSP w/ cfw already installed

It appears that in order to convert a regular pandora memory stick to a memory stick w/ this new cfw, you first need another PSP with a cfw already installed. Is this correct?

If that's the case, can someone tell me why we can't use a normal windows or linux or whatever computer to create this new memory stick? I'm confused.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It appears that in order to convert a regular pandora memory stick to a memory stick w/ this new cfw, you first need another PSP with a cfw already installed. Is this correct?

If that's the case, can someone tell me why we can't use a normal windows or linux or whatever computer to create this new memory stick? I'm confused.

It's not that you can't really, but the files created when converting a memory stick to a magic memory stick are illegal to distribute. That's where the problem lies.

Acerthief

You should be able to bring your friends official 3.52 up to either Official 3.71 or 3.71m33 with this. Also, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to plop a 1.50 restore into the restore folder of the ms and run the restore routine from the recovery menu.... should you find the need to say, upgrade back to 3.5xm33.

[Edit]
I'm looking at my recovery menu and I see an option to run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP so it looks like we should still be able to recover back to 1.50 using the recover.zip thing. I'll try it later today and find out.
[/Edit]

yeah but the thing is there's no "recovery menu" in the official firmwares.
I need to downgrade his psp so i can test our teams programs.
so i guess i need two spare memory stick now? lol

***700th post XD**

supaquickt

Just to confirm it doesn't matter what firmware version your currently on to install this?

Also if Sony updates firmware later on this will still work right, just like the normal pandora?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Just to confirm it doesn't matter what firmware version your currently on to install this?

Also if Sony updates firmware later on this will still work right, just like the normal pandora?

Yep that's right. The only way Sony will ever be able to block Pandora is with a new hardware revision :p Software-wise, they can't do a thing.

mambox

It's not that you can't really, but the files created when converting a memory stick to a magic memory stick are illegal to distribute. That's where the problem lies.

you solved a mistery,its possible to create a true magicstick from nothing!

now time to find where i can find those files....

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor