• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Cheezeball99's PSP Emulation Guide

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Well, Acer's guide is getting a little dated, he asked me to update it for him but I just figured I'd make my own ^_^ Sorry, I'm not going to include the cheat info like Acer's does, because, well, quite honestly I don't dig cheating in games, therefore I'm not educated in information pertaining to such. As of the writing of this guide, which is taking place the early AM of April 25th, 2008, all the emulators should be at their most recent versions, unless otherwise noted.

This is a guide to (nearly, no guarantees) all emulators for the PSP. If there's more than one major emulator for a system, I'll name the one I find to be best. If you can't find what you're looking for here then you're probably not GOING to find it.:wink: Anyways, enough of this, onto the emulators!

General installation instructions: You should probably refer to the readme in each individual emulator, but the basic gist of it is this- Put the folder (or two, if exampleemu and exampleemu% exists) with the EBOOT into your GAME150 folder on phat PSPs or into the GAME folder on slim PSPs. Actual required folder may vary from emulator to emulator.

Consoles
Nintendo Entertainment System
nes.jpeg
Emulator: NesterJ
Version: v1.20 beta2
Works: Perfect
Links: 1.5 Kernel | 2.0+ Kernel / Custom Firmware
Notes: There ARE a few unsupported mappers, but I think pretty much every NES emulator in existence has that problem... So there might be an obscure game or two that doesn't work.

Sega Master System
SMS.png
Emulator: WonderBoy
Version: v2.02
Works: Runs absolutely flawlessly, with an awesome GUI to boot!
Links: Both
Notes: It also emulates GG and GB/C.

Emulator: SMS Plus PSP
Version: v1.2.5
Works: Very well.
Notes: Runs fine, but nothing too impressive. Thank RJC for the PSP slim confirmation!

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
snes.jpg
Emulator: Snes9xTYL
Version: v0.4.2me
Works: Nearly flawlessly (Starfox, Super Mario RPG, and a select few others don't run full speed)
Notes: As stated before, some games don't run at full speed. Some take a frameskip or so to run perfect.

Sega Genesis/Megadrive and SegaCD/MegaCD
genesis.jpg
Emulator: Picodrive
Version: v1.51
Works: Perfect (only "Virtua" games run extremely slow/choppy)
Notes: None really. Solid emulator. Hint: You can .CSO your SegaCD games:wink:

Sega Saturn
saturn.jpg
Emulator: Yabause
Version: v0.9.1test
Works: Accurately, but SLOW AS DIRT.
Links: Phat only
Notes: Not really worth trying to play, but it bears mention anyway. x3 tested on PSP slim, thanks go out to him!

Playstation
psx.png
Emulator: Popstation
Version: Whatever version your firmware is.
Works: Pretty much perfectly.
Links: PSX2PSP v1.3
Notes: It's built into your PSP's firmware natively, nothing to install, the link is to the conversion software. Instructions should be in the included readme... And if that's not good enough, there's always Krelian's guide HERE.

Nintendo 64
N64.jpg
Emulator: Daedalus
Version: X64 Beta 1
Works: Fairly terribly. A couple games run full speed with sound disabled, but other then that the emulator is fairly unstable. Impressive nonetheless, but still.
Notes: Almost not worth trying, if not to admire the work of the author. Again, thank RJC for the info on the slim!

Neo Geo
neogeo.jpg
Emulator: MVSPSP
Version: 2.3.1
Works: Absolutely amazingly.
Links: Phat | Slim
Notes: Don't forget to read the readme for special notes on this emulator, such as the crom decryption 'n' such, although I don't think you have to do this for PSP slim units.

Neo Geo CD
Ngcd.jpg
Emulator: NCDZPSP
Version: 2.3.1
Works: Haven't tested.
Notes: None.

TurboGrafx/PC Engine
turbografx16.jpg
Emulator: e[mulator]
Version: v0.82f
Works: Fairly perfect with Turbo Grafix games.
Notes: Also emulates SMS, GG, WS and NGPC, although NGPC and WS not well. Thanks go out to x3 for the PSP slim info!

Handhelds
Game Boy/Color
Gameboycolor.png
Notes: It also emulates SMS and GG, and has the ability to completely color monochrome GB games! Read the readme for more info!

Emulator: Homer's RIN
Version: v3.3
Works: Pretty much perfect, except entering the menu during emulation cuts out sound... Terrible glitch.
Notes: Not really anything super-noteworthy. Great emulator aside from the glitch. Thanks to x3 for the PSP slim support information!

Game Gear
Gamegear.jpg
Notes: It also emulates SMS and GB/C.

Version: v1.2.4
Works: Runs good.
Notes: Good emulator, nothing wrong with it, but I prefer WonderBoy. Thank RJC for the PSP slim confirmation!

Game Boy Advance
gba.JPG
Emulator: gpSP
Version: 0.9
Works: Fairly beautifully, some speed hiccups on certain games, but altogether it runs spectacularly.
Notes: Works good. Don't forget it requires the gba_bios.bin file to run.

Neo Geo Pocket/Color
ngpc.jpg
Emulator: RacePSP
Version: Initial release
Works: Beautifully save for the occasional, yet rare, glitch.
Notes: Works awesome. Definitely worth checking out, very impressive little system.

Atari Lynx
lynx.jpg
Emulator: Handy
Version: 0.95.1
Notes: It could be perfect, it could be terrible. I have no idea. x3 tested- PSP slim unapproved!

Wonderswan
WonderSwan.jpg
Works: Not too well, slow, occasionally glitchy.
Notes: Also emulates SMS, GG, TG, and NGPC, NGPC about as well as WS. Thank x3 for the PSP slim confirmation!

Arcade
CPS1
cps1.JPG
Emulator: CPS1PSP
Version: 2.2.5
Works: Flawlessly.
Notes: I think on some of the bigger games you have to decrypt the vrom, but I'm not entirely sure.

CPS2
cps2.jpg
Emulator: CPS2PSP
Works: Perfectly.
Notes: Don't forget to read the readme for special notes on this emulator, such as the crom decryption 'n' such, although I think on PSP slim units this is unnecessary.

Neo Geo
neogeo.jpg
Notes: Don't forget to read the readme for special notes on this emulator, such as the crom decryption 'n' such, although I don't think you have to do this for PSP slim units.

MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)
mame.jpg
Emulator: MAME4ALL
Version: v4.9r2 Hires
Works: Haven't personally tested this one, I get all my arcade needs dealt with by the three previous emulators.
Notes: Use the normal for phat PSPs, use the usermode version for slim PSPs. Thanks to x3sphere for the information!:thumbup1:

Others
Amiga
amiga.jpg
Emulator: PSPUAE
Version: v0.7.1
Works: Fairly well, although I could never figure out how to fix the fact that part of the right side of the screen was cut off...
Notes: Don't forget the kickROMs.

Java
java.jpg
Emulator: PSPKVM
Version: v0.3.2
Works: Pretty good. Tested Might and Magic 2, ran fairly smooth.
Notes: Pretty nifty emulator. I can see a lot of possibilities with it.

ZX-81's Emulators
PSPCAP32 (Amstrad CPC)
PSP2600 (Atari 2600)
PSPAtari (Atari 800/130/5200)
PSP7800 (Atari 7800)
PSPBEEB (BBC Micro)
PSPColem (ColecoVision)
PSPYape (Commodore Plus/4)
PSPX48 (HP48 Calculator)
PSPInt (Intellivision)
PSPMSX (MSX/MSX2/MSX2+)
PSPSIM (SamCoup

Richlando

To be fair you should add Takka's build of gpsp,albeit unofficial,it is an improvement over Exophase's version.Until 1.0 that is...and Daedalus works fine for the slim, and SMS Plus is supported on the slim,works great.Good job CheddarSphere.

Cheezeball99

To be fair you should add Takka's build of gpsp,albeit unofficial,it is an improvement over Exophase's version.Until 1.0 that is...

Yes, but the reason Exophase stopped work on gpSP to begin with was due to unofficial versions-
Exerpts from the readme of gpSP v0.9:
  • As some of you may be aware I'm pretty much tired of these unofficial releases by people (okay, mostly single person) who don't wish to follow my wishes.
  • Frankly, I'm tired of my emulator being hacked on by other people, and if it doesn't stop I'm going to make this project closed source.
  • Next time you upload unofficial releases of my emulator (without even knowing what's changed) bear in mind that you're only encouraging me to stop working on this.
  • Oh, and if you downloaded a version of gpSP that has more than "gpSP" in its name then you're using one of their versions. Shame on them for not even removing this threatening message, and shame on you.

So it's only right not to support what he discourages.

Daedalus works fine for the slim, and SMS Plus is supported on the slim,works great.
Thanks, updated!:thumbup1: I don't have a slim to test it on, hence is why I didn't know.

Cheezeball99

Pics added! Now to test the performance of the rest of the emulators I haven't yet.:smile:

Cheezeball99

Thanks for all the hard work, Cheezeball. Really makes my life easier now. :smile:
No problem, el d00derino!

I have tested all emulators now, with the exception of Handy- I don't own a Lynx, so I cannot legally obtain the boot ROM file, therefore I have no way of testing it, and MAME4ALL- the results would be different from ROM to ROM.

FOL

PSPUAE Support / Dev
Nice guide.

Also to solve your "I could never figure out how to fix the fact that part of the right side of the screen was cut off" problem. Hold L + R Trigger and Select, or make sure screen lock is "off" and use L + R Trigger and Analogue stick to move screen around.

The reason for this is, because some configs caused a crash on reset when set to Auto Screen Zoom. I told it to check for autozoom on reset, if it was in autozoom, it would simply turn it off.

Another tip for the moment, is to use PSPUAE 0.70 as due to a mistake on my part, we lost some speed in 0.71. This will be corrected in next release.

Seye

Well, Acer's guide is getting a little dated, he asked me to update it for him but I just figured I'd make my own ^_^ Sorry, I'm not going to include the cheat info like Acer's does, because, well, quite honestly I don't dig cheating in games, therefore I'm not educated in information pertaining to such. As of the writing of this guide, which is taking place the early AM of April 25th, 2008, all the emulators should be at their most recent versions, unless otherwise noted.

This is a guide to (nearly, no guarantees) all emulators for the PSP. If there's more than one major emulator for a system, I'll name the one I find to be best. If you can't find what you're looking for here then you're probably not GOING to find it.:wink: Anyways, enough of this, onto the emulators!

General installation instructions: You should probably refer to the readme in each individual emulator, but the basic gist of it is this- Put the folder (or two, if exampleemu and exampleemu% exists) with the EBOOT into your GAME150 folder on phat PSPs or into the GAME folder on slim PSPs. Actual required folder may vary from emulator to emulator.

Consoles
Nintendo Entertainment System
View attachment 6004
Emulator: NesterJ
Version: v1.20 beta2
Works: Perfect
Notes: There ARE a few unsupported mappers, but I think pretty much every NES emulator in existence has that problem... So there might be an obscure game or two that doesn't work.

Sega Master System
View attachment 5999
Notes: It also emulates GG and GB/C.

Works: Very well.
Notes: Runs fine, but nothing too impressive. Thank RJC for the PSP slim confirmation!

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
View attachment 6000
Emulator: Snes9xTYL
Version: v0.4.2me
Works: Nearly flawlessly (Starfox, Super Mario RPG, and a select few others don't run full speed)
Notes: As stated before, some games don't run at full speed. Some take a frameskip or so to run perfect.

Sega Genesis/Megadrive and SegaCD/MegaCD
View attachment 5988
Emulator: Picodrive
Version: v1.40b
Works: Perfect (only "Virtua" games run extremely slow/choppy)
Notes: None really. Solid emulator. Hint: You can .CSO your SegaCD games:wink:

Sega Saturn
View attachment 5998
Emulator: Yabause
Version: v0.9.1test
Works: Accurately, but SLOW AS DIRT.
Notes: Not really worth trying to play, but it bears mention anyway. x3 tested on PSP slim, thanks go out to him!

Playstation
View attachment 5997
Emulator: Popstation
Version: Whatever version your firmware is.
Works: Pretty much perfectly.
Links: PSX2PSP v1.3
Notes: It's built into your PSP's firmware natively, nothing to install, the link is to the conversion software. Instructions should be in the included readme... And if that's not good enough, there's always Krelian's guide HERE.

Nintendo 64
View attachment 5993
Emulator: Daedalus
Version: r13
Works: Fairly terribly. A couple games run full speed with sound disabled, but other then that the emulator is fairly unstable. Impressive nonetheless, but still.
Notes: Almost not worth trying, if not to admire the work of the author. Again, thank RJC for the info on the slim!

Neo Geo
View attachment 5994

Neo Geo CD
View attachment 5996
Emulator: NCDZPSP
Notes: None.

TurboGrafx/PC Engine
View attachment 6001
Works: Fairly perfect with Turbo Grafix games.
Notes: Also emulates SMS, GG, WS and NGPC, although NGPC and WS not well. Thanks go out to x3 for the PSP slim info!

Handhelds
Game Boy/Color
View attachment 5986
Notes: It also emulates SMS and GG, and has the ability to completely color monochrome GB games! Read the readme for more info!

Emulator: Homer's RIN
Version: v3.3
Works: Pretty much perfect, except entering the menu during emulation cuts out sound... Terrible glitch.
Notes: Not really anything super-noteworthy. Great emulator aside from the glitch. Thanks to x3 for the PSP slim support information!

Game Gear
View attachment 5987
Notes: It also emulates SMS and GB/C.

Works: Runs good.
Notes: Good emulator, nothing wrong with it, but I prefer WonderBoy. Thank RJC for the PSP slim confirmation!

Game Boy Advance
View attachment 5989
Emulator: gpSP
Version: 0.9
Works: Fairly beautifully, some speed hiccups on certain games, but altogether it runs spectacularly.
Notes: Works good. Don't forget it requires the gba_bios.bin file to run.

Neo Geo Pocket/Color
View attachment 6003
Emulator: RacePSP
Version: Initial release
Works: Beautifully save for the occasional, yet rare, glitch.
Notes: Works awesome. Definitely worth checking out, very impressive little system.

Atari Lynx
View attachment 5991
Emulator: Handy
Version: 0.95.1
Notes: It could be perfect, it could be terrible. I have no idea. x3 tested- PSP slim unapproved!

Wonderswan
View attachment 6002
Works: Not too well, slow, occasionally glitchy.
Notes: Also emulates SMS, GG, TG, and NGPC, NGPC about as well as WS. Thank x3 for the PSP slim confirmation!

Arcade
CPS1
View attachment 5984
Emulator: CPS1PSP
Works: Flawlessly.
Notes: I think on some of the bigger games you have to decrypt the vrom, but I'm not entirely sure.

CPS2
View attachment 5985
Emulator: CPS2PSP
Works: Perfectly.
Notes: Don't forget to read the readme for special notes on this emulator, such as the crom decryption 'n' such, although I think on PSP slim units this is unnecessary.

Neo Geo
View attachment 5994

MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)
View attachment 5992
Emulator: MAME4ALL
Version: v4.9r2 Hires
Works: Haven't personally tested this one, I get all my arcade needs dealt with by the three previous emulators.
Notes: Use the normal for phat PSPs, use the usermode version for slim PSPs. Thanks to x3sphere for the information!:thumbup1:

Others
Amiga
View attachment 6048
Emulator: PSPUAE
Version: v0.7.1
Works: Fairly well, although I could never figure out how to fix the fact that part of the right side of the screen was cut off...
Notes: Don't forget the kickROMs.

Java
View attachment 5990
Emulator: PSPKVM
Version: v0.3.2
Works: Pretty good. Tested Might and Magic 2, ran fairly smooth.
Notes: Pretty nifty emulator. I can see a lot of possibilities with it.

ZX-81's Emulators
PSPCAP32 (Amstrad CPC)
PSP2600 (Atari 2600)
PSPAtari (Atari 800/130/5200)
PSP7800 (Atari 7800)
PSPBEEB (BBC Micro)
PSPColem (ColecoVision)
PSPYape (Commodore Plus/4)
PSPX48 (HP48 Calculator)
PSPInt (Intellivision)
PSPMSX (MSX/MSX2/MSX2+)
PSPSIM (SamCoup

papayaninja

I'm having trouble running Snes9xTYL. I have a PSP phat running 4.01 m33-2, which isn't talked about at all in the readme (which is really, really old...) I've tried both the ME and Standard editions, and I'm taking the contents of the folder 1.50 and putting them in my GAME150 folder. The PSP can see the eboot, and it comes up in the XMB, but when I run it I get "The game could not be started. (80020148)". I've tried using both the 1.50 and the 4.xx kernel thinking that might be the problem, but no luck. Any help?

edit: I solved the problem by myself, so for anyone else, here's the answer. I used the slim version of the emulator, and it worked fine. It only has one folder which you move to the /PSP/GAME folder on your memory stick. Piece of cake, once you figure out that you need the slim version despite owning a phat.

paulagent

I need help with the MAME emulator. I downloaded it, but I don't know what to do after that. Im running 3.90 m33-3 (phat psp) Is there a step by step post on here. Thanks!
I also downloaded a rom but when I unzip the rom there are like 10 diff. files with the rom, is that normal?

paulagent

I think I wanna try the CPS1 emulator, but I get confused when you have to decrypt the roms or whatever. Is there a step by step process on here that may help? Thanks!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I think I wanna try the CPS1 emulator, but I get confused when you have to decrypt the roms or whatever. Is there a step by step process on here that may help? Thanks!

You must mean the CPS2 emulator? You need to convert each one of your ROMs with the included romcnv_cps2.exe and it will create a cache folder that needs to be moved over to the emulator folder.

As for the CPS1 emulator, it does not require creating a cache folder... just drop your ROM files in the emulator folder. They should be in ZIP format.

GlassJoe

I have been trying to get these emulators working and I've been having a problem. The first one I tried was PicoDrive and it worked without a hitch. Every other one that I tried(SNES9x,Wonderboy,NesterJ,etc) gives me corrupted data. By the way I have a PSP Phat with CFW 3.90 M33-3 on it. By the way, great thread. Keep up the great work.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I have been trying to get these emulators working and I've been having a problem. The first one I tried was PicoDrive and it worked without a hitch. Every other one that I tried(SNES9x,Wonderboy,NesterJ,etc) gives me corrupted data. By the way I have a PSP Phat with CFW 3.90 M33-3 on it. By the way, great thread. Keep up the great work.

Make sure you are copying the folder that has an EBOOT.PBP inside.

The PSP looks for applications in this fashion: X:/PSP/GAME/FOLDER/EBOOT.PBP

If you have X:/PSP/GAME/FOLDER/FOLDER/EBOOT.PBP it will show corrupt data.

GlassJoe

Using the MasterBoy emulator as an example: PSP/GAME/MASTERBOY/EBOOT.PBP is what I have and it gives me corrupt data. The masterboy folder has other things in it too like ROMS SMS, ROMS GBC, etc.

paulagent

Ok I downloaded the CPS1 emulator from this site (cheeseballs) When I downloaded it I got 2 readme files and 1 "cps1psp" file. Inside the cps1psp file I have these files: eboot.pbp, rominfo.cps1, zipname.cps1, zipnamej.cps1. I tried putting the cps1psp file into Game, game 150, and game 380 files, but I got a error message 80020148. I tried going into recovery mode and changing the Kernel from 3.90 to 1.50 and tried putting the file into all 3 game folders ,but same result. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!