• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

can't unbrick a PSP Slim!

gijoe77

Hi all,

I'm having a strange problem with a TA-85 V1 Slim (star wars white PSP).

a little background: A few months ago I made a MMS loaded with DC3 - I would load 3.71m33 CFW, then upgrade to 3.90m33-3. I always backup the NAND first. I have done this flawlessly on over 20 different PSP's (phats and slims). I never made any changes to the MMS or the hard-modded pandora battery.

Then my friend gave me a 2nd PSP to do for him - the problem PSP.

1. As a force of habit I always boot the PSP and check what version of firmware its on - the PSP booted fine and was on OFW 3.xx something).

2. I booted the MMS just as usual, backed up the NAND (there was no output of bad blocks during the dump).

3. When I tried to install 3.71m33 it went through the usual steps and the output of files written was filling the screen. It then got hung as it was writing a file to the flash (I could not tell which file because I didn't know where it stopped since it was re-printing from the top of the screen again. -> PSP bricked

4. At this point I wrote the NAND back and the PSP booted fine again on OFW.

5. I figured it was a freak thing and I decided to try step 3 again. at this point when I pressed "x" to install 3.71m33 it froze on "formatting flash0..." -> PSP bricked

6. Once again I wrote the NAND back but this time it did not work, PSP still bricked.

7. hitting up google for a few hours It looked like NANDTool was a great tool to look into this further. I installed 0.2 then upgraded to 0.4NEO.

8. NANDTool 0.2 initially told me I had ~1000 bad locks, and when I went to repartition the flash I got the error "ran out of NAND for lflash". I then upgraded to NANDTool 0.4NEO and I still get the same error when I try to repartition the flash, but I have been getting incrementaly more bad blocks. I had around ~2000 bad blocks, then 3441 bad blocks last night, 3997 bad blocks as of this writting.

9. using NANDtool 0.4NEO under partition Tools -> Integrity check
I get the following:

3778 incorrect LBA's found
attempting to verify partition records

**Master Boot Record**
Signature not found

Repartition NAND, something seems wrong.

Done, 3778 inconsistencies found

10. I made another MMS now with DC7. I have the same problem that I can't load any CFW or OFW because of the hang at "formatting flash0..."

Under DC7 I go to NAND operations->format lflash and it gets stuck at 95% "creating Partitions..."

11. I have multiple NAND dumps of other PSP slims - I've tried to write a different PSP's NAND to this PSP and it still would not boot.

12. I've played with various parts of the NAND also - re-writting the IPL, etc.. nothing has been working.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love some feed back. I tried being as clear as possible.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Sounds like the NAND is bad in that PSP. There's nothing to be done. That isn't a part that can be changed by anyone but Sony. The PSP is designed to handle a FEW bad blocks, not thousands. :(

Acerthief

Take it back and blame it onto Sony.
Restore back to OFW (even though it will still be in a bricked condition) and tell sony that it killed itself :p

gijoe77

Yes, it appears to be a hardware issue. I reached out to cory1492 (developer of NANDTool) and I tried one more utter-last resort procedure and it was a no-go.

I thought I had this down to a science, this sure was a reality check...

january39

eXo Staff
OMG - First PSP i have heard of with that many bad blocks. I actually never thought i would see it. Bad Luck.:-(

As Acer says - Do a Sony OFW update and pull the power halfway - then send it back under warranty. (its what i would do)

Acerthief

OMG - First PSP i have heard of with that many bad blocks. I actually never thought i would see it. Bad Luck.:-(

As Acer says - Do a Sony OFW update and pull the power halfway - then send it back under warranty. (its what i would do)

I'd do it fullway XD loool