• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

How-To: Is your PSP Mobo a TA-088v3?

Nomo

Hey! DC7 isn't working on my PSP!! What's going on???

You might have different problems. For example, you might have done something wrong while making the DC7 pack (ms or battery), you might have a 0% of battery charge, you might be using AC cable and it goes directly to VSH instead of the DC7 menu... check those usual problems first. Also, it might be that your MS is a fake one, so check it also.

Well.. ok, already checked that, but it's nothing of that and i believe that i've made properly the DC7 pack.

Then we should ask us other stuff. What original firmware was your PSP firmware packed with?

Errr.. where should i look that?

Check it under the "System information" menu from your first menu of your PSP. If it has just a number without any letter behind, it will be that "number" original firmware. (Example: 4.01 v/s 4.01M33-2

Uhh.. well, i dunno, i think it came up with 4.01 or 4.05.

Well, then you might have a TA-088v3 mobo, if thats for real.

And whats the deal with it?

TA-088v3 mobo isn't compatible with DC7. That means that you won't be able to downgrade or use any of its features

Well, hold on a second, i've not yet bought it! What should i look for?

It looks like the 2000 series PSP (Slim) that have the letter "G" or superior on the boxcode are the ones that have this mobo.

Uhh... what letter?

Check this image: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/NeilR_QJ/psp_version2.png

Ok then, but how should i know if mine is one of those being 100% sure?

We should work a bit with it then;

Download this pack. And follow this instructions:

First Step: You need to format your memory stick with the app called "mspformat" that is included.

- Connect your PSP via USB.
- Format it using the command "mspformat E", being "E" the letter of your PSP on your PC.
- Program will ask you to confirm it, press Y.
- Plug out your PSP. IMPORTANT: DO NOT format again the MS within the PSP until this test has finished.
- Connect again the PSP via USB, and manually create PSP and PSP/GAME folders.

Next step must be done on a PSP homebrew capable (with CFW). If you don't have it, ask someone else to do this step and give you the resultant files.

- Copy the GETIPL folder to PSP/GAME. Get the 3.90 and 4.05 updates, and put them onto the MS root with the following names: "390.PBP", "405.PBP".
- Run the GETIPL app from your PSP homebrew capable, and it will create a couple of files on the MS root, called "ipl390.bin", "ipl405.bin".
- Connect the PSP via USB, and use the "msinst" program that its included on the pack to install the 3.90 IPL on the MS.
- You must do it this way: "msinst E E:\ipl390.bin", being "E" your PSP letter on your PC. Program will ask you to confirm it, press Y.

Insert the MS with the 3.90IPL installed onto the PSP that you want to confirm if it's a TA-088v3 or not, and turn it on with a Pandora Battery plugged in. You'll have two possible results:

- PSP turns off inmediatly after starting - Your PSP is NOT a 88v3.
- PSP keeps turned on with a green light forever - Your PSP is a 88v3, or you have done something wrong. Next step will confirm it.

- Connect again the PSP via USB, and use again the msinst, but this time with the 405IPL. Remember, "msinst E E:\ipl405.bin", being E your PSP letter on your PC.

Try to load it again with a Pandora battery. You have two possible results:

- PSP turns off inmediatly. If PSP turns off inmediatly with this IPL and on the other test it had that green light forever, it will be 100% sure a 88v3.

- PSP keeps with a green light forever. This CANT be on any PSP, being 88v3 or not. If this is the case, youve done something wrong.

So, once you have done all this, youll know 100% sure if its an 88v3 or not.

-------EoM-------​

Originally taken from http://dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=533

Nomo

so if the sticker is "E", then its the TA-088 V1? (which is the hackable PSP I want)
Dunno. Remember that that proccess is a bit confusable, as not all of the boxes had that letter, and also on some stores they delete that letter with some pen. The latest packs have more probability of having an v3 than the older ones; so if you find that letter, try getting one of the lowest as possible.

kalmos2

psp 2004 - with letters F ?

greetings guy,

very good job you do.

is somebody knows what motherboard is with this psp before i buy it

and if i can downgrad it or use dd7.

thanks for your help

sorry for my poor english

vp10120

I heard the TA-88v3 for a while now.. So there's still no fix huh?

If this is the case, Sony finnally fixed the flaws. So PSP-3000 will be the unhackable. Too bad, ain't able to enjoy the flashy brighty screen.

Nomo

Edited.

Some confirmations around that letter "G" is for 3.95 original firmware and contains 088v2 mobo. But not 100% sure. Yet.

Dark_AleX

Developer
I heard the TA-88v3 for a while now.. So there's still no fix huh?

It is difficult to fix something you don't have :p
I'm trying to get one unit, until then I won't know for sure how secure they are. Also it is unknown wether PSP3000 will have same security as TA88-V3 or something different.

vp10120

WOW didn't expect D_A here! Marry me! xD

So i see, i was just wondering what was going on on your side D_A. I read somewhere said some TA-88v3 are hackable and some are not. But PSP-3000 is a big deal here since the LCD improved so much and there are people voting to get PSP-3000 if there's CFW for it. Including me.

D_A I dunno if you have this already, but i think you should put up a donation for people to donate money and so you can buy new PSP for testing. You're like one of the god in digital world so i'm sure it will go well.

x_fox81

By any chance does this mspformat.exe & msinst works on vista?

i cant seems to run & install to reformat my ms drive. When my psp is connect via USB mode & when i run cmd on my pc & type mspformat, it got a error " mspformat is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Even when i try to run the application in the winrar file also cant run the mspformat.exe

Is there anyway i can install 3.90 & 4.05 into my MS manually?

I currently have a 4.01M22 slim & trying to install CFW onto my friend's PSP which he just purchase recently.. OFW is 4.01.

I had a working MMS & pandora which are working fine on my slim but when i try to install onto my friend's PSP, only green light is solid but MS is not blinking..

Does that means my friend had purchase a TA88-V3?

Nomo

By any chance does this mspformat.exe & msinst works on vista?

Have you tried using administrative priviledges? (Right click on cmd.exe, run as an admin)

I currently have a 4.01M22 slim & trying to install CFW onto my friend's PSP which he just purchase recently.. OFW is 4.01.

I had a working MMS & pandora which are working fine on my slim but when i try to install onto my friend's PSP, only green light is solid but MS is not blinking..

Does that means my friend had purchase a TA88-V3?

Probably, but to be 100% sure you know what method to use... :)

Dark_AleX

Developer
i cant seems to run & install to reformat my ms drive. When my psp is connect via USB mood & when i run cmd on my pc & type mspformat, it got a error " mspformat is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Have you gone to the directory where the program is located? You just can't run mspformat by loading cmd.exe, you have to go to the directory of the program using the command "cd".

Additionally, the program probably requires administrator privileges since it needs raw write access to the memory stick.

x_fox81

Hey guys really appreciate all the fast replies!!

Originally by Nomo
Have you tried using administrative priviledges? (Right click on cmd.exe, run as an admin)

I had tried running this yet unavailable..

Originally by Dark_Alex
Have you gone to the directory where the program is located? You just can't run mspformat by loading cmd.exe, you have to go to the directory of the program using the command "cd".

Additionally, the program probably requires administrator privileges since it needs raw write access to the memory stick.

Im running under the administrator privileges & went into the directory during the process.

Anyway my friend had decided to hang the psp up & wait for a crack on TA-88 V3 :laugh:

I'll try to get my hand on a XP & try this software again. Guess my vista cant run it.. :wink:

Honoured to have you DA as well as Nomo & vp10120 on solutions!! Cheers!

J

jx233

It is difficult to fix something you don't have :p
I'm trying to get one unit, until then I won't know for sure how secure they are. Also it is unknown wether PSP3000 will have same security as TA88-V3 or something different.

Hey Dark_Alex! Your're at Exophase!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

What do you think the motherboard for PSP-3000 will be?

do you think it will be a TA-089?

Darkchild

The Doctor
WOW Dark_AleX it's a pleasant surprise to see you post here.
I hope it happens more often and I look foward to reading more posts if possible.
Thank you for ALL of your WONDERFUL work.

I say the same ^^

Thank you, really!

vp10120

From my experiences "msinst" works on Vista but mspformat will not work.
You will need access to XP windows than it's but a 30 second job :)

In my experience on mspformat is not entire nessesary. It works at first 4 months ago but corrupts the MS filesystem this week attempt. So i format agian my MS via USB Mode and format using PSP to create PSP filesystems and folders and msinst works. And i reinstalled CFW without a hinch.

So mspformat is not 100% nessesary, and if msinst works on Vista, mean Vista can make Magic Memory Stick too. But still i don't have time to test it now, probably will try it tonight.