• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Connecting Two PS2's Together

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I'm having a bunch of friends over (around 8) this weekend and I was planning on hooking two of our ps2's together through lan or something.

The only problem is... I'm not sure how to do this. From what I got from searching the internet was that I needed a LAN cable, which we have. The only problem is that I don't know if that's all I need. A few guides told me I needed a dock but one of my friends assured me that was only for 3+ ps2's and that with two you can directly connect them.

Again we're hooking up two PS2's to two separate TV's and we want to play lan between both.
EDIT: And they're both Slim PS2's (not sure if it matters).

Savagefreak

$ ./savage.sh
You need a Network adapter for PS2 tho.
But it should work just with a lan cable in between.

twelve

I'm not dead
The Slimline PS2's cannot be linked. The phat PS2's had a firewire port on the front for system link, this was removed when the console was shrunk.

It was also poorly supported by developers, only games I know that definitely had it are Time Crisis 3 and Gran Turismo 3. With the lack of support Sony obviously had an easy decision when removing it from the slimline.

Noriyuke

Same thing with the PS1 connection cable, like the only game i know for a fact supported the console linking was command and conquer red alert retalliation, man i remember the all night sessions on that game, great thing about it that game was that with one copy you could do multiconsole multiplayer, disc 1 on first ps1, disc 2 on the second. Good Stuff

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
The Slimline PS2's cannot be linked. The phat PS2's had a firewire port on the front for system link, this was removed when the console was shrunk.

It was also poorly supported by developers, only games I know that definitely had it are Time Crisis 3 and Gran Turismo 3. With the lack of support Sony obviously had an easy decision when removing it from the slimline.

Citations needed. I've looked at a crap load of information and you are the only one that has told me this. Regardless of support, we already have a list of games that are LAN capable. I still want to know where you got that info from though. I'm not kidding you when I tell you I have looked up a lot of information regarding this.

twelve

I'm not dead
Citations needed. I've looked at a crap load of information and you are the only one that has told me this. Regardless of support, we already have a list of games that are LAN capable. I still want to know where you got that info from though. I'm not kidding you when I tell you I have looked up a lot of information regarding this.

Try the PS2 manual.

Seth

MD Party Room
First, both PS2s need network cards. Then you need either a broadband router. Then, on one console, create a game through the multiplayer option that specific game offers, and the other player finds it through the multiplayer menu that same game provides.

But like Phil said it still really poor support and the slim doesnt support it... But I believe Madden has support for this also..

Consoles in general have poor support for Lan...The only time people really ever used lan was with the xbox to play halo....

Edit just found a list..

DESCRIPTION
Some Network Enabled titles also have an option to player via a LAN, attached is more
information.
Equipment required:
• PlayStation

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Vanden: That's for 4 PS2's. I'm pretty sure it's different for just two. I've heard that you don't need a hub if it's only two.

Twelve: I read the playstation 2 slim manual (surely it's different than the phat though) and I didn't see anything on Local Area Networks. I do, however, see that they added a network adapter in the slimline, which wasn't standard in the phat version. I think what I did was mix the system link port and network adapter together. It doesn't matter anymore. I ended up canceling because a lot of people couldn't come. The weather got pretty nasty a few hours prior to this whole thing.

Savagefreak said:
You need a Network adapter for PS2 tho.
But it should work just with a lan cable in between.

That's what I heard from several forums and guides. I'm pretty sure they were referring to LAN and that's what I thought we needed. I prepared it according to that general idea. That's why I added the edit which said they were both slim. I knew that was changed in the remake.

We're sticking to split-screen. Thanks for the help from everyone.